Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Witnesses + Evidence

The Witnesses + Evidence Inquest testimonies and how they have influenced Ripperology...from Albert Cadosch to a cry of "Oh,Murder !"....from the Goulston Street Graffito to those letters from Hell.

Old August 5th, 2017, 01:40 PM   #51
Anna Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Arif View Post
I think I remember it was the baptisms for St Mary and Michael's I was looking at when I came across it but there's 700+ pages so it may take me a while to find it again!
I know you said that St Mary and Michael's was built in 1857 and I have read the same, but strangely there is a baptismal register for the years starting 1842 and pencilled in the first page is the name of the church as St M and M and it is cited as that church on FMP. I suppose it must be a mistake of some sort?
Is it possible there was a congregation without a church building? It would be a parish.

I cannot keep it all straight but there was quite a bit of RC groups moving between France and England due to pressures one place or the other.
Old August 5th, 2017, 01:51 PM   #52
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Arif View Post
I think I remember it was the baptisms for St Mary and Michael's I was looking at when I came across it but there's 700+ pages so it may take me a while to find it again!
I know you said that St Mary and Michael's was built in 1857 and I have read the same, but strangely there is a baptismal register for the years starting 1842 and pencilled in the first page is the name of the church as St M and M and it is cited as that church on FMP. I suppose it must be a mistake of some sort?
The Virginia Street Chapel was dedicated to Sts Mary and Michael, but I'm pretty sure the Commercial Road Church wasn't opened until 1856/7.
Gary Barnett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2017, 02:05 PM   #53
Gary Barnett

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Morris View Post
Is it possible there was a congregation without a church building? It would be a parish.

I cannot keep it all straight but there was quite a bit of RC groups moving between France and England due to pressures one place or the other.
There were two buildings, apparently: the Virginia Street Chapel and another dedicated to Our Lady of Loreto in Johnson Street. The lease on the V St. Chapel was due to expire and would not be renewed because an extension to the London Dock was in the pipeline which would require the Chapel's demolition. In addition the Catholic population of the East End was growing and a much larger place of worship was required.
Old August 24th, 2017, 08:01 AM   #54
Gary Barnett

In 1851, a Daniel and a Margaret McCarthy, aged 23 and 25 respectively, were living at 3, Charles Street, Marylebone. They were both Irish born and Daniel's occupation was 'bricklayer's labourer'.

Living with them were Daniel's sister, Ann, and the couple's 1-month-old son 'Dailey'(?).

There's no sign of John or Dennis, so this may not be the couple we are interested in. So far I haven't been able to find 'Dailey's' birth record which might provide his mother's maiden name.