Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Persons Of Interest or Actual Suspects > James Maybrick

James Maybrick It should really be called the Maybrick Dairy; where else would you expect to find a cash cow being milked?

Old November 10th, 2017, 10:09 AM   #11
SirRobertAnderson
Researcher / Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline Brown View Post
When he learned what the electricians were saying about it coming from the house, he went into denial mode and spent the rest of his days there.
Caz do you think Mike and the Electricians (sounds like a Genesis offshoot band!) all had points in the Diary? In the sense of shares? It would explain a lot.

Quote:
I suspect Mike imagined he was simply helping out by trying to 'fence' an old book signed Jack the Ripper, which a mate had shown him over a pint without letting on when, where or how he found it.
I don't think this was the first time Barrett fenced or bought something coming out of a renovation. After all, he dealt in "scrap metal".
SirRobertAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 10:45 AM   #12
Paul Butler
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRobertAnderson View Post

I don't think this was the first time Barrett fenced or bought something coming out of a renovation. After all, he dealt in "scrap metal".
I'm certain you're right there Robert. He was an ideal candidate, (not for us of course), and probably just in the right place at the right time.
Paul Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 10:46 AM   #13
Caroline Brown
Author

Not sure about 'shares', Robert, but do you recall those casebook posts years ago by Peter Birchwood, with details of several large cash payments going out of Mike's account in 1994, in the wake of receiving a wad of diary money, and shortly before he made his first forgery claim?

I've often wondered if an electrician or two got mad at Mike about all the money he was starting to make from Shirley's book and threatened to spill some damaging beans if he didn't cough up. Might that explain the denials when push came to shove, despite all the rumours that had been circulating since 1992, and despite Paul Dodd apparently not being too bothered if the thing was taken from his house without permission?

Love,

Caz
X
Old November 10th, 2017, 03:10 PM   #14
SirRobertAnderson
Researcher / Senior Moderator

Quote:
Not sure about 'shares', Robert, but do you recall those casebook posts years ago by Peter Birchwood, with details of several large cash payments going out of Mike's account in 1994, in the wake of receiving a wad of diary money, and shortly before he made his first forgery claim?
I had forgotten about that issue. Tales from the Great Diary War....I get the shivers just thinking about them.

I don't want to be guilty of torturing your statement until it confesses, but "several large cash payments going out of Mike's account in 1994" intrigues me. To me, it indicates that perhaps several electricians had some claims on the cash, formally or informally. Explains the silence over all these years.

Now, I don't want to make the mistake of assuming UK and US law are the same. But over here, the receipt of over $1000 from stolen goods would turn the crime into a felony. However, the statute of limitations would apply and the electricians that stole the Diary out of Battlecrease would almost certainly not face prosecution if the crime had been committed here.

Interestingly, in some U.S. states, there is no statue of limitations for forgery!
SirRobertAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 07:23 PM   #15
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Linford View Post
There are three adverts in the Liverpool Mercury in 1888 appealing for the return of a lost dog. All three mention Battlecrease. The earliest one, on 7th August, gives house number 6A.
It sounds as if the entire building, 6 and 7 Riversdale Road, was referred to as "Battlecrease."

Chris
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/[/URL]
2 days of talks & 2 days of tours, April 6 to April 9!
Places still available.
Don't Miss Out on the Only North American
Conference on the Whitechapel Murders
in the 130th Anniversary Year of the Crimes
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 11:01 AM   #16
Caroline Brown
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRobertAnderson View Post
I don't want to be guilty of torturing your statement until it confesses, but "several large cash payments going out of Mike's account in 1994" intrigues me. To me, it indicates that perhaps several electricians had some claims on the cash, formally or informally. Explains the silence over all these years.
Hi Robert,

The cash withdrawals took place every other day over the course of a couple of weeks, so they may simply have reflected whatever daily cash withdrawal limit was imposed by Mike's bank.

Quote:
Now, I don't want to make the mistake of assuming UK and US law are the same. But over here, the receipt of over $1000 from stolen goods would turn the crime into a felony. However, the statute of limitations would apply and the electricians that stole the Diary out of Battlecrease would almost certainly not face prosecution if the crime had been committed here.
There would of course have been no record of what Mike did with his cash if it was paid out as 'hush' money, and none of the parties involved was going to admit it if cash ever changed hands in respect of the diary, so there would be no evidence that the electricians gained a single penny from stolen property. The same would have applied to the watch if it was bought for cash, as so often happens with items of jewellery and other valuables sold to shops by individuals. No receipts are likely to come to light if theft is even remotely suspected.

I don't think the electrician(s) would have anything to worry about today, so long after the event, and with Mike no longer here to spill any beans. But one can understand why anyone might still be reluctant to reveal all in the circumstances, especially if they were also suspected of 'fencing' the watch, which would have been more obviously valuable and fetched an immediate cash sum for any seller.

Love,

Caz
X
Old November 13th, 2017, 02:28 PM   #17
Steve Stanley

It's a terribly logical-sounding theory.....Mike and the Electricians.......
Steve Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote