Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Persons Of Interest or Actual Suspects > James Maybrick

James Maybrick It should really be called the Maybrick Dairy; where else would you expect to find a cash cow being milked?

Old November 13th, 2017, 02:54 PM   #1
SirRobertAnderson
Researcher / Senior Moderator

Default The Electricians Visit to Liverpool University

From Feldman's Jack the Ripper The Final Chapter:

My contact went on: ĎI remember something being thrown out the window of the room where we were working at Mr. Doddís house. It was put into the skip. With everything that Iíve since heard about the diary and considering the trip to Liverpool University, I think Iíve solved your problem.í

We contacted Liverpool University. They recalled the visit of these two gentlemen. They could not confirm what they had seen was a diary, journal or anything similar. Unfortunately, they could not, or would not, tell me what they did examine. I had to contact the two electricians identified by their colleague. The first denied all knowledge of anything, but informed me that his associate (the second electrician) did indeed drink at the Saddle.

I have always tended to believe this aspect of the electricians' "story" to be overlooked/undervalued because it only resulted in Liverpool University saying they had indeed paid a visit, as opposed to confirmation that anything was examined.

I would suggest it is a rather odd thing for electricians to do.
SirRobertAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 03:04 PM   #2
James Johnston
Filmmaker

This from Ms. Lucy Evans, University Special Collections and Archives.

18th August 2017;

Dear James,

Many thanks for your email. To (try) and answer your questions:

I can’t find any reference to the four electricians in the University Archives.

It is possible that the department which they took the diary to was the University Archives, although this was in the Harold Cohen Library in 1992 which is not on Pembroke Place, as I think you mentioned in an earlier email.

I contacted the archivist who was in post in 1992 and who is now retired, Adrian Allan. He was kind enough to check his records for 9th March 1992, but he found no mention of a visit regarding the diary. What he does recall is, at a later date (he isn’t sure when), a middle aged lady either bought in some pages, or the whole diary itself and asked for some advice regarding authentication and valuing the item. Adrian noted that he was very reluctant to offer advice on the authenticity of the handwriting, or anything else, as he was mindful of the scandal of the Hitler diaries in the 1980s. He also would not have been able to offer a valuation. What Adrian thinks he did is refer the lady to a colleague of his who was a lecturer in palaeography at the University. This colleague would have been Elizabeth Danbury who is now affiliated with the University of London. It is probably important to note that Adrian’s recollection is not 100% and there is a strong possibility this person did not contact Miss Danbury.

I hope this information is helpful, or at least provides another potential lead.

All the best, Lucy

The research into the alleged visit is still on-going. For a start, we don't know whether the electricians were meant to have visited the University, or the Polytechnic.

According to Mr. Colin Rhodes, the visit was thought to have been during a 'lunch break' and was rumoured to have involved Mr. E. Lyons. There was some speculation that the electricians were hoping to have the ink tested for an approximate age.

Best, James.
James Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 03:07 PM   #3
SirRobertAnderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Johnston View Post
According to Mr. Colin Rhodes, the visit was thought to have been during a 'lunch break' and was rumoured to have involved Mr. E. Lyons. There was some speculation that the electricians were hoping to have the ink tested for an approximate age.
All rhodes lead to Fat Eddie.
Old November 13th, 2017, 03:16 PM   #4
SirRobertAnderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Johnston View Post
What he does recall is, at a later date (he isnít sure when), a middle aged lady either bought in some pages, or the whole diary itself and asked for some advice regarding authentication and valuing the item.
It's gotta be Anne.

Be worth showing Adrian a picture of Anne, James. Yes, his memory is dodgy but the clock is ticking.....
Old November 13th, 2017, 06:13 PM   #5
SirRobertAnderson

Onward through the fog:

"If my contact was telling me the truth, then the diary had been removed from the house. Somehow, and at some time Tony Devereux, with or without his drinking companion Mike Barrett, must have purchased the diary.
So, my instincts were correct, were they? Was he confirming that I had not been wasting my time? Yes, he said, he could confirm that, provided I agreed not to mention his name to the other electricians. I duly agreed.

Our conversation continued. He had been in the car with the colleagues he had mentioned. He said he had noticed a parcel wrapped in brown paper under the front passenger seat. The journey took them to Liverpool University. His colleagues were attempting to Ďauthenticateí whatever was in the parcel. He was to wait in the car.

(Mike Barrett had always said that Tony Devereux had given him the diary wrapped in brown paper with string tied around it.)
Old November 14th, 2017, 06:15 AM   #6
Paul Butler
Who?

It never made much sense to me that Feldman let the most promising lead on the diary drop, in favour of the whole Billy Graham, Granny Formby, Uncle Tom Cobley and all concoction.
Paul Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 07:15 AM   #7
String
innocent bystander & former captionmeister

I was just wondering would two electricians take a possible valuable and explosive book to a University to get it appraised?
First it risks word of the find to get out and may lead to all sorts of trouble concerning ownership etc
Second why bother. Why not take it to the Times, I know already burned, or the News of the world and flog it to them. Thatís what I would have done. They can do all the authentication work. Thatís where it would end up anyway.
Did they attempt to contact any newspapers?
String is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 07:30 AM   #8
Paul Butler
Who?

I have serious doubts that anyone involved in the finding of the diary had much of a clue as to the potential importance of what they had found in the first instance.

They probably wouldn't have flogged it to Barrett if they thought it might be worth a large amount of money.

It seems likely they would want to make a quick few quid on the side, and be able to deny any involvement if it later came out that it had been nicked, which it certainly seems was the case. Barrett could possibly have been seen as the best of a bad job for 'fencing' the item.

The watch being a different matter of course, being obviously a valuable item in its own right. No matter what, that was always going to be worth taking to a proper jeweller.
Paul Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 08:55 AM   #9
SirRobertAnderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Butler View Post
It never made much sense to me that Feldman let the most promising lead on the diary drop, in favour of the whole Billy Graham, Granny Formby, Uncle Tom Cobley and all concoction.
I think the combination of Anne Graham, Mike Barrett and Paul Feldman was the single worst thing to happen to Ripperology, EVER. Close behind was Melvin Harris.

Here we are 25 years later still trying to clean up their mess.
Old November 14th, 2017, 12:12 PM   #10
Caroline Brown
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRobertAnderson View Post
It's gotta be Anne.

Be worth showing Adrian a picture of Anne, James. Yes, his memory is dodgy but the clock is ticking.....
Why not Shirley Harrison?

Love,

Caz
X