Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Persons Of Interest or Actual Suspects > James Maybrick

James Maybrick It should really be called the Maybrick Dairy; where else would you expect to find a cash cow being milked?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 22nd, 2017, 08:45 PM   #11
Roy Corduroy
Researcher
 
Roy Corduroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,183
Default

Hi Robert Anderson, who do you believe wrote the diary?

I asked you that several threads ago, where you said you stated your belief at the recent Ripper conference. But there's a news blackout about conferences now.

Roy
Roy Corduroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 08:50 PM   #12
SirRobertAnderson
Researcher / Senior Moderator
 
SirRobertAnderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Noo Yawk
Posts: 3,863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nelson View Post
Her theory? I thought it was mine. Don't forget George needed help.
Apologies for the incorrect attribution; I've only read Caz's thoughts on the theory, which I think is intriguing.

My issues with it are two-fold, but if you'd like to lay out the case first I am all ears.

I would take it that you are not of the mindset that the Diarist was a talentless cretin.
SirRobertAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2017, 12:34 AM   #13
Scott Nelson
Schoolyard Bully
 
Scott Nelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRobertAnderson View Post
I would take it that you are not of the mindset that the Diarist was a talentless cretin.
In disguise only. The prose in Diary of a Nobody is classic Harry Dam. He probably ghost-wrote the thing. The handwriting in the so-called Maybrick Diary is likely George's or that of a contemporary.
Scott Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2017, 02:16 AM   #14
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire
 
Robert Linford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 19,041
Default

How :


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M35Urswsz2Y
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2017, 08:10 AM   #15
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Eagleville, Pa.
Posts: 77,274
Default

Bob:

Thanks for 'splaining what you meant.
__________________
To Join JTR Forums, Contact :
Howard@jtrforums.com
Howard Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2017, 12:02 PM   #16
SirRobertAnderson
Researcher / Senior Moderator
 
SirRobertAnderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Noo Yawk
Posts: 3,863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
Hi Robert Anderson, who do you believe wrote the diary?

I asked you that several threads ago, where you said you stated your belief at the recent Ripper conference. But there's a news blackout about conferences now.

Roy
Sorry if I unintentionally ignored you. I have been pretty ill since returning from Liverpool. My MS has flared.

There is supposed to be a DVD released of the Maybrick conference and I was waiting for its release to get further into the details.

In brief, I believe Michael Maybrick OR someone that shared his views on Flo wrote the Diary. I think it was created some time in the early 1900s. Basically a long "Fu*k You" note to Florence. I talked for about an hour on this, trying to explain the logic behind my views. Hopefully early in 2018 we can get into all this further.
SirRobertAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2017, 12:04 PM   #17
SirRobertAnderson
Researcher / Senior Moderator
 
SirRobertAnderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Noo Yawk
Posts: 3,863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nelson View Post
In disguise only. The prose in Diary of a Nobody is classic Harry Dam. He probably ghost-wrote the thing. The handwriting in the so-called Maybrick Diary is likely George's or that of a contemporary.
When you have a chance I'd love to hear how you come to these conclusions as well the manner in which the Diary and Watch got into Battlecrease.
SirRobertAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2017, 10:59 AM   #18
Caroline Brown
Author
 
Caroline Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nelson View Post
Her theory? I thought it was mine. Don't forget George needed help.
Hi Scotty,

My theory began taking shape towards the end of 1998, before I even learned how to use the internet, and a fair while before you and I first corresponded.

Some of the diary's doggerel sounded like it could have been inspired by the Gilbert & Sullivan operettas popular at exactly the right time, so I looked further into this and the Grossmith brothers stared back at me, with their Diary of a Nobody, with its own mention of a 'double event', which was first serialised in Punch in 1888. I went on to learn that Weedon knew George Sims and Sir Melville Macnaghten personally, while George spent his honeymoon in Aigburth.

The brothers used to play puerile pranks on the public, such as standing in front of Madame Tussauds and asking passers-by to direct them to - Madame Tussauds. They did the same at Niagara Falls. I suspect they would have found Michael Maybrick an insufferably po-faced social climber, while Flo and Jim would also have proved a rich seam for satirical treatment following all their dirty laundry coming out in 1889.

Too bad the Grossmith brothers were both dead before the roaring twenties and were unlikely to have known those three little words: 'one', 'off' and 'instance'.

Love,

Caz
X
__________________
I wish I were two puppies then I could play together - Storm Petersen
Caroline Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2017, 01:25 PM   #19
SirRobertAnderson
Researcher / Senior Moderator
 
SirRobertAnderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Noo Yawk
Posts: 3,863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline Brown View Post
Some of the diary's doggerel sounded like it could have been inspired by the Gilbert & Sullivan operettas popular at exactly the right time, so I looked further into this and the Grossmith brothers stared back at me, with their Diary of a Nobody, with its own mention of a 'double event', which was first serialised in Punch in 1888. I went on to learn that Weedon knew George Sims and Sir Melville Macnaghten personally, while George spent his honeymoon in Aigburth.

The brothers used to play puerile pranks on the public, such as standing in front of Madame Tussauds and asking passers-by to direct them to - Madame Tussauds. They did the same at Niagara Falls. I suspect they would have found Michael Maybrick an insufferably po-faced social climber, while Flo and Jim would also have proved a rich seam for satirical treatment following all their dirty laundry coming out in 1889.
I think this theory has a lot of merit to it. However I have a few issues with it.

The immediate problem I have with it is that besides the doggerel the Diary contains an industrial strength heaping of plain old psychosis. It's a brutally nasty piece of work. And the hatred of Flo practically drips from the page. It's not witty or satirical. It's almost pornographic at times.

The second issue is that the Diarist doesn't really depict Sir Jim as a druggie, which would have been by far the prevalent public view post trial. I doubt many people thought he wasn't "hipped". The Maybrick in the Diary isn't taking his "medicine" for kicks.
SirRobertAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2017, 03:44 PM   #20
Scott Nelson
Schoolyard Bully
 
Scott Nelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline Brown View Post
My theory began taking shape towards the end of 1998, before I even learned how to use the internet, and a fair while before you and I first corresponded.
OK, Caroline, I'll let you borrow my theory for a while. But please return it when you're done. Thank you

Scotty
Scott Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10 Beta 2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright @ Howard & Nina Brown 2015-2022