Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Conundrums and Anomalies > JTR's Mechanics and Methodology

JTR's Mechanics and Methodology Regardless of who he was, just how did JTR manage to commit such a flawless series of murders that still baffle criminologists in the 21st Century?

Old March 24th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #1
admin tim

Default How did Jack the Ripper kill?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_did_Jack_the_Ripper_kill
admin tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2017, 11:22 PM   #2
Anna Morris

I disagree with some of the conclusions in this piece, that Jack clapped his hand over the victims' mouths and cut their throats. I disagree because I believe the blood evidence indicates the women were on or near the ground when their throats were cut. If I do a little re-reading I think I could elaborate but that's not why I chose to tack onto this thread.

Considering methodology, what about Jack's knife? Reporters and folks who would be witnesses made a great deal about supposed JtR carrying a small bag made of American cloth, etc., etc., etc. Mrs. Kennedy said her suspect said he had something the ladies don't like in his bag which he set on the ground in her presence. (If one believes her; I know some think she didn't exist.)

Personally I believe he choked or rather half choked his victims until they sank to the ground and that is when he commenced the throat cutting. If so, how did he carry his knife? Surely not tied up in a parcel or bag?

With this scenario, assume the choking part required two hands. I have read it takes about four minutes to fatally strangle a person and evidence doesn't seem to support the idea that the women were strangled to death.

So if the victim was choked into submission but not dead, Jack had to be fast, careful and accurate to make sure she didn't cry out, fight back, etc. while he fumbled around for his knife. Surely he didn't have his knife in his hands while he was doing the choking--if that's what he actually did. There are lots of ways to carry knives. I always pictured Jack keeping his knife in a jacket pocket but I never thought too deeply about it.

I don't presume to have an answer. Someone with more knowledge about things like military training of the day might have some interesting ideas. Were there special sheathes or similar that made knives especially handy in combat? Was there army training about subduing an enemy then cutting his throat? (I have read similar techniques were taught in the French Algerian Forces, later French Foreign Legion.)

Can we learn more about Jack by thinking of the best ways for him to keep his "nise sharp knif" handy? I'm sure he didn't stop to pull it out of a Gladstone bag or open a surgical kit for a dissecting knife. I know there were a number of stabbings and cuttings at the time, and it seems a lot of people carried knives but Jack had his hands full just prior to going for his knife, I think.
Old May 26th, 2017, 02:16 AM   #3
jachim3926

Hi Anna,
I agree that the attacks were mounted from behind the victims. Having spent the best part of a decade in The Brit Army I do have some knowledge of techniques employed to 'silenced' unsuspecting sentries!

I can't speak for the training methods of the 1880's, but I suspect that the basics the we applied in the 1960's bore some similarities.. Traditionally, the only 'cutlery' issued to foot soldiers were bayonets, which are primary stabbing implements rather that slashing weapons and while sharpened were quite unsuitable for Jack's purposes.

As mentioned, I suspect that the women were asphyxiated, possibly using a one armed sleeper hold-which is essentially to enclose the vistim's neck in the crook of a folded arm. As the wrist is rotated, both the carotid arteries and the trachea are clamped thus cutting of the oxygen and blood supply to the brain.Usually, the atackers opposing arm would be used to pull the victims head tighter into the Vee that the other arm has formed. Applied correctly, this technique will render the undividual semi-concious in 30+ seconds and often induce a grand mal seizure. A simple forward strangulation, could as you say, take several minutes.

By this stage, the woman would be on her knees and the cutting of her throat would be an easy task.

While it is possible to slash a throat from behind fom a standing position, the head must be pushed downwards to expose the carotids and the jugular vein. If the head is erect, the knife will only penetrate the trachea above the level of the cartilaginous tough tissue of the larynx.

Therefore,[I] if[/I] this was rhe manner that Jack operated, He could have had the knife housed in his belt , pockets, or indeed the bag(s) that were mentioned.

On that grisly note , I shall bade you farewell Madam.
Hoping that you 're well and happy in all things gruesome and bizarre
Cheers,
Yours in gore!
Merv

Last edited by jachim3926; May 26th, 2017 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Typos
jachim3926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2017, 10:24 AM   #4
Anna Morris

Thanks for the gory details, Merv.

Which once again indicates JtR had some sort of background in something. I always thought he likely had experience in the meat industry or as a knacker. For all that I live very close to and provide much of my food sources, I have an aversion to learning about the commercial meat industry. I have a small amount of knowledge of Jewish and Islamic slaughter techniques which involves cutting throats and draining blood.

However the military technique you describe takes into account human anatomy. I had also previously read about the head needing to be in a certain position to put the great vessels into the best position for severing. A mistake in that and the vessels are not very available--though in some cases it was said Jack nearly severed the heads of his victims. Maybe he wasn't taking any chances.

This doesn't necessarily bring us closer to identifying Jack since all kinds of people ended up in the East End. I strongly believe an untrained person cannot be proficient in throat cutting without practice. Look at all the cases from the time where people were stabbed in the throat. Knives are for thrusting and stabbing if used in an act of passion. Jack was cool and knew what he wanted to do. Maybe Polly was an act of anger if she was Jack's victim. Maybe Liz was also but by then Jack had practice in destroying victims.

Or maybe gang members learned these techniques from former soldiers. Maybe that's why Alice and Frances seem like Jack's work. I firmly believe Frances was the victim of a gang.
Old June 4th, 2017, 02:14 PM   #5
Anna Morris

Merv's reply below goes along with recent comments about Alice McKenzie on the thread "What do we Know About JtR".