Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Census & Statistics Forum

Old February 27th, 2017, 06:18 PM   #31
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Arif View Post
'Rose' Mary Brooks apparently converted for the Catholic wedding to John McCarthy and appears in the baptism records for February 1889 [9 days before the wedding] at St Mary and Michael's church:

Born 27th August 1861 and baptised 8th Feb 1889
'Sub Conditione' [convert] Maria Josephina Brooks daur of David and Maria Brooks, maiden name Arnold
Godmother Catherine Donovan
Thanks, Debs, I just love that kind of detail.

And it reminds me that I was wondering what the x and o meant in the Catholic census columns headed 'Mass/Easter Duties/Confirmation/etc.'
Gary Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2017, 02:34 PM   #32
Anna Morris

I apologize if I have missed something...

Do we have the record for Mary Ann Brooks converting to RC 9 days before her marriage?

I have no idea how the churches would have handled such things in those days. Today a Christian baptism in any denomination is recognised and conversion is more like oath taking. If Miss Brooks had been baptized C of E for example, I assume she would have, upon conversion to RC, have signed a paper promising to raise any future children RC.

Its' not hard to see what I am thinking. If such acts were recorded, I bet we could find MJK. (Unless her trip to France was an anticipated marriage and she could have converted there. Heaven help us with that.) I really think the Marie Jeanette thing came about due to a conversion or baptism in London.

Maybe Mary was an orphan and she kind of made up her background where none existed. Maybe she had no record of infant baptism, protestant or Catholic. Just a thought.
Old July 14th, 2017, 04:48 PM   #33
Gary Barnett

The Catholic records include a baptism in 1852 for a Jeremiah McCarthy who I think may be John McCarthy's brother. It took place in the church of Our Blessed Lady of Loretto in the parish of John Street, Commercial Road East. (I have to confess, I've never heard of it.)

I sent for the cert on an impulse, to see where the family were living at the time. It's just occurred to me that it's probably already known, although I didn't see it mentioned in Trevor Bond's article in Ripperologist 142.
Old July 14th, 2017, 06:04 PM   #34
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barnett View Post
The Catholic records include a baptism in 1852 for a Jeremiah McCarthy who I think may be John McCarthy's brother. It took place in the church of Our Blessed Lady of Loretto in the parish of John Street, Commercial Road East. (I have to confess, I've never heard of it.)

I sent for the cert on an impulse, to see where the family were living at the time. It's just occurred to me that it's probably already known, although I didn't see it mentioned in Trevor Bond's article in Ripperologist 142.
But isn't that Jeremiah's father Thomas? Or am I reading it wrong?
Debra Arif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2017, 06:10 PM   #35
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Arif View Post
But isn't that Jeremiah's father Thomas? Or am I reading it wrong?
There's another one a bit further on. Father Daniel, mother Margaret (Ho(a)rrigan).
Old July 14th, 2017, 06:50 PM   #36
Gary Barnett

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 67
Size:  32.9 KB
Old July 14th, 2017, 07:20 PM   #37
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Oh yes. you're right. Gary
I'm having trouble with these records. I can't seem to repeat my earlier results with the Morgensterns and Falks in the whole database never mind the new additions.
Debra Arif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2017, 10:03 PM   #38
Gary Barnett

It's interesting that the two godparents were a McCarthy and a Horrigan. It suggests that the two (extended) families may have been resident in the East End at the time.
Old July 21st, 2017, 05:49 AM   #39
Gary Barnett

Default Jeremiah McCarthy - Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barnett View Post
The GRO cert has a DOB of the 20th of July, 1852 which is obviously wrong. Father Daniel McCarthy, a labourer. Mother, Margaret, formerly Harragan.

The place of birth was 13, Vine Passage, Ratcliff, which lay between Brook Street and Broad Street, close to where Jeremiah's sister, Mary Ann, was apparently born in 1856.

In the Ripperologist article, Dennis's birth in Hertfordshire is dated to 1854, but in fact it appears to have been in 1849 (see below). So the family may well have been in the East End for 4 - 10 years continuously during the period 1849 to 1858.

The Dieppe period may only have covered 1848/9 and the family should be somewhere on the 1851 census.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 31
Size:  33.9 KB