Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Persons Of Interest or Actual Suspects > James Maybrick

James Maybrick It should really be called the Maybrick Dairy; where else would you expect to find a cash cow being milked?

Old September 21st, 2017, 11:50 AM   #121
Sam Flynn
Owl Catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barnett View Post
But what about 'give her a call'? Surely anyone writing a forgery after the phrase had become associated with the telephone would have avoided that. Does anyone nowadays use that particular wording to mean 'pay her a visit'?

If you say to someone 'I'll give you a call this afternoon' do they:

a) Sit by the telephone, or

b) Set out an extra cup and saucer at the tea table?

I hope I haven't said anything to offend Gareth. I have the highest respect for him.
Not in the least, Gary. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a polite, impersonal presentation of a counter-argument.

Respect reciprocated, to you and everybody else here.

"Suche Nullen"
(F. Nietzsche)

Sam Flynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 12:24 PM   #122
Paul Butler
Who?

No. I expect it was me. Unlike some, I don't have the patience of a saint.
Paul Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 04:53 PM   #123
Anna Morris

Every time we research and discuss things we learn more. I thoroughly enjoy the poem from 1860 that was posted below for Rose's teas.

It is easy to find negatives where there is controversy. Some subjects are so problematic that negatives are all anyone looks for. The negatives are then depended upon to disprove this or that.

To find a preponderance of ALL the evidence, positives should also be sought. In some ways I am glad I do not have a lot of knowledge of the diary. I gained negative prejudices from the various news reports surrounding it from the beginning. Now when I read any part of it I look for things that seem amazingly accurate or true.

I believe I found one of these things when the diarist wrote of putting the hat into the fire. The diary has some extreme things in it but putting one hat in the fire is not extreme and it makes a lot of sense. If the killer needed light and the last fuel available was clothing, which would be the FIRST item worth trying to burn? It would be the hat.

Considering some other writings in the diary, the general style might have been to describe stuffing a bunch of clothes into the fire and having lots of light and heat and working that into some sadistic, poetic fantasy.

It was known from the beginning that a hat was burned in the fire and that other clothing was also burned. I have seen it discussed more than once whether or not clothing would have burned or if it would have smothered the fire. However that works out, burning the hat first would be the best bet.

I do not think a deliberate hoaxer would think through all of that. This is just one small thing to add to the side in support of someone with direct knowledge having written the diary. Another item on the positive side, for me, is the ink. I do not see that the ink is modern and it is not basic iron gallitanic which has been used in known forgeries because it ages well and is hard to place in a certain time.
Old September 21st, 2017, 05:24 PM   #124
Paul Butler
Who?

What a refreshingly sensible posting Anna. Thank you.

It was indeed a hat that was burnt in that fire and not a bonnet as has often been mentioned.

The ink certainly hasn't tested as modern. Around the 1920s would be a distinct possibility, or earlier. Certainly not as late as some would like it to be.

There are a lot of little asides in the diary that have little or no meaning to us, but which surely must have meant something to its author.
Old September 21st, 2017, 06:04 PM   #125
Sam Flynn
Owl Catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Butler View Post
The ink certainly hasn't tested as modern. Around the 1920s would be a distinct possibility, or earlier.
Do you mean the age of the ink itself, or the date it was placed on the paper?

"Suche Nullen"
(F. Nietzsche)

Sam Flynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2017, 01:34 AM   #126
Mr. Poster
Twit

The ink has been tested as to having been applied in the 1920's +/- whatever.

Whether you like that result or not SamF is your business.

But it has been tested as having been applied then.

In addition to having been shown to be neither Diamine not an ink with modern constituents.

But I think you know all this and soon we'll be off down a road well travelled that leads to offence, harrumphing and accusations of "nastiness"!

Nice day for a walk I guess!

P
"Chance hasn't yet peached on Jack the Ripper.If she ever does, it will probably be cause for grotesque disappointment among the Ripperologists, who get as much joy from attacking one another's lunacies, as from any problems originally posed by the Whitechapel murderer" R. Gowers, The Independant, Saturday, 31 December 1994
Mr. Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 08:27 AM   #127
Abby Normal

David has given me permission to post the link below on his new article. As per usual with him, an excellent piece of research and analysis.

http://www.orsam.co.uk/maybrickthefalsefacts.htm
Abby Normal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 09:05 AM   #128
Mr. Poster
Twit

I dont see anything there that negates an old forgery.

As per usual.

Also as per usual......

It does appear that much of the text is devoted to getting in as many digs, both clearly stated and hinted at, at Robert Smith as possible however.

After years of observing the behaviour of various Diary camps, I am not surprised as for some reason adherents to the diary-as-modern-forgery concept seem unable to make points without personalising them.

A nice example:

Quote:
If that's the case, it couldn't have been written by James Maybrick as Robert Smith claims. Smith is not downhearted and he laughs off this result with a casual remark that this means it is 'not at all a modern hoax!' (p.7), although why that is an important consideration is unclear.
Quote:
How does Robert Smith deal with all these problems? By ignoring them basically. What he tells us and its hard to believe he wrote this with a straight face - is:
Its nice to see this style of writing alive and well a couple of decades after Harris pretty much perfected it!!

I reminds me of the climate change debate ..... one commentator asked some climate sceptic as to how he/she could continue to ignore some argument or other.

The sceptic replied....."its not so much the argument, but when the people making the argument are just so appalling.........."

I wish someone would wake me when something new/definitive/interesting comes up couched, preferably, in a half-way neutral way.

P
"Chance hasn't yet peached on Jack the Ripper.If she ever does, it will probably be cause for grotesque disappointment among the Ripperologists, who get as much joy from attacking one another's lunacies, as from any problems originally posed by the Whitechapel murderer" R. Gowers, The Independant, Saturday, 31 December 1994
Mr. Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 11:30 AM   #129
Kattrup
Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
David has given me permission to post the link below on his new article. As per usual with him, an excellent piece of research and analysis.

http://www.orsam.co.uk/maybrickthefalsefacts.htm
As always, sterling stuff from David Orsam. Thank you.
Kattrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 02:14 PM   #130
Paul Butler
Who?

I wouldn't hold your breath Mr P!