Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Community's Collective Wisdom

The Community's Collective Wisdom "Scotland Yard was really no wiser on the subject than it was 15 years ago.."-F.G.Abberline,1903. The question is...are we ?

Old July 19th, 2015, 06:38 PM   #1
Alan Baird

Default PC William Thomas Murphy x 2 'H' Divn.

Hello and good evening,

''PC William Thomas Murphy,'' is the last policeman I am researching and I was hoping this would be an easy task but it has instead become more complicated. PC William Thomas Murphy was a Whitechapel Police Constable during the Jack the Ripper murders and it is always nice to know more about the individuals who were directly involved in these investigations.
Since I am unable to find any further information, other than the basic details, I thought I would turn to the forum, as my last chance to possibly discover more information on ;-

PC William Thomas Murphy.
Joined Metropolitan Police 29/7/1878, as a PC with 'H' division.
Left Metropolitan Police 13/4/1889, as a PC with 'H' division.
Warrant number 62907.
Awarded the Queen Victoria Met. Police Jubilee Medal 1887, as a PC with 'H' division.
Also recorded in the Jack the Ripper/Casebook/H divn./Personnel/Simon Wood.
I was unable to find him in the England Census of 1881, were he would have been recorded as being a Police Constable and therefore I am unable to trace his family details. This is the information I would really love to find..................
Now another complication....there is a second PC William Thomas Murphy serving in Whitechapel and whose service overlaps the individual that I am interested in and his details are :-
PC William Thomas Murphy.
Born 1853/Colchester.
Joined the Metropolitan Police 29/9/1873, as a PC with H division.
Left - date unknown but suspect it was the first half on the 1880's.
Warrant number 57226.
There is an Old Bailey Trial Record showing him as being PC H69, dated 17/8/1874.
Married, Ellen Sarah Hoggar - born 1853/Hackney, on the 24/4/1875. William is listed as being a Police Constable.
There is baptism records dated 26/7/1889, Borough of Tower Hamlets which list William Thomas Murphy as being employed as an 'agent.' Since later England Census records ie England Census 1911 show William as being an auctioneer and Estate Agent, then this probably explains the term referred to in the 1889 record.

What really puzzles me, is that I cannot find either of them, in the England Census of 1881. It makes me think I am doing something wrong and that is where the vital information is located.

Any help would be most appreciated.
Alan.
Alan Baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2015, 08:47 PM   #2
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Hi Alan

I found the Colchester one in Ancestry trees. What has happened is that both Ancestry and Find My Past mistranscribed him as 'William T Chapley,' and the writing really does look like that.

NB if you're using Ancestry you'll have to advance one page from the page they send you to.

The other Murphy will be tough to find without more info.
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2015, 09:03 PM   #3
Edward Stow
Researcher

The Metropolitan Police Heritage Centre will have more details about him - where he is from in the H Division Book.
Orders will give you his collar number which may have changed between joining and leaving. Once you have his collar number you can find him in the H Division book which will tell you where he was from, his age and previous occupation which will help greatly in tracking him down in a census.

https://www.metpolicehistory.co.uk/m...ge-centre.html
Edward Stow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 07:52 AM   #4
Alan Baird

Default Metropolitan Heritage Centre

Hello Edward,
Thank you, great idea and I will definitely be going down this path in an attempt to track him down.

much appreciated,
Alan.
Old July 20th, 2015, 08:20 AM   #5
Alan Baird

Default Tree records

Hello Robert,
I am with ancestry and I have never used their ancestry trees before. I would simple search one census record and then the next, marriage, baptism records etc. Then I opened up the ancestry public tree for William Thomas Murphy, 1853/Colchester, as you said.........and it was brilliant....lots of records in the one place. It's true you learn something every day.

thank you.
Alan.
Old July 20th, 2015, 08:33 AM   #6
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

You're welcome, Alan. Of course, Ancestry trees sometimes contain errors, so it's best to check them.
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote