Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Board Announcements > Holiday and Other Announcements

Holiday and Other Announcements Forum for well-wishes for events other than birthdays

Old July 9th, 2011, 12:46 AM   #21
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris Malone View Post
As usual, I tried to make my Holiday weekend as low keyed as possible and stay away from crowds. I fished during the night hours while everyone else was passed out and off of the roads and waters. Caught 40 stripers; the biggest 4 weighing about 36 pounds.

On the 4th, knowing that it was going to take the better part of 10 hours to barbeque the slab of hog I was cookin', I decided to sit back and watch, again, every episode of John Adams at one time. I'm usually critical about what Tinseltown puts out as 'historical' offerings, but this series was one of the best. Director Tom Hanks - who had done very well with Band of Brothers - put together a superb cast and script, based on David McCullough's fantastic book.

I usually prefer the book over the movie in most instances, but this series did everything right. It was not difficult watching something that runs almost 8 hours, because you get totally immersed in it.

And... when it was over, I had some fine slow-cooked barbeque to enjoy.

Don't get no better that that.
Hi Cris

You might like to know that John Adams has been recommended to me by a television producer as an excellent example of television biography. In this connection, I recently purchased a copy of the series on DVD to study it to guide me in writing a script for a possible TV project on another historical subject. While I have seen a bit of the series when it aired on HBO, I have yet to see it in its entirety. Glad to hear that you think so highly of it.

Best regards

Chris
For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote