Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Ripper Reviews

Ripper Reviews Forum for Forums members ( and Guests ) to provide reviews on material relative to the Case, in any medium and in any format. Created on June 4, 2015.

Old February 5th, 2017, 05:03 PM   #11
Sean Crundall

Thumbs up

Hi all,

On the plus side of suspect based books, despite their often untenable and more often than not ridiculous theories, they do have a tendency to throw up interesting new titbits of information on suspects, officials and peripheral players.

I do enjoy reading such books; they are entertaining, if little else, and can sometimes lead to fresh avenues of research.

Regards,

Sean.
Sean Crundall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2017, 05:55 PM   #12
Sean Crundall

Hi all,

Despite my previous post I'm hoping that someone will write the ultimate suspect book.

There's a mass of unpublished material out there, who knows what awaits the diligent and patient researcher. Neil and I have often discussed the fact that "exciting times lie ahead". And indeed they do: records have never been more accessible to the public.

My regards,

Sean.

Last edited by Sean Crundall; February 5th, 2017 at 06:11 PM. Reason: i
Old February 5th, 2017, 06:22 PM   #13
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Crundall View Post
Hi all,

Despite my previous post I'm hoping that someone will write the ultimate suspect book.

There's a mass of unpublished material out there, who knows what awaits the diligent and patient researcher. Neil and I have often discussed the fact that "exciting times lie ahead". And indeed they do: records have never been more accessible to the public.

My regards,

Sean.
Hi Sean,

Someone did - Steven Knight - I fell for it at the time. I suspect the reality might not make a particularly fascinating story, though.

Personally, I like a good story, but am put off by the stretching of the facts that theorists inevitably indulge in. I also expect anyone who writes history to know their subject inside out. Many don't.

Gary
Gary Barnett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2017, 06:54 PM   #14
Sean Crundall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barnett View Post
Hi Sean,

Someone did - Steven Knight - I fell for it at the time. I suspect the reality might not make a particularly fascinating story, though.

Personally, I like a good story, but am put off by the stretching of the facts that theorists inevitably indulge in. I also expect anyone who writes history to know their subject inside out. Many don't.

Gary
Hi Gary,

Me too! Knight wrote a compelling story, a story with elements of truth, interwoven with half truths and downright lies.

I completely agree with you that many people don't know their history: I often muddle things up!

Your research is very, very interesting: I do hope that you'll put pen to paper, one day.

My best wishes,

Sean.
Old February 5th, 2017, 06:55 PM   #15
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Crundall View Post
Hi Gary,

Me too! Knight wrote a compelling story, a story with elements of truth, interwoven with half truths and downright lies.

I completely agree with you that many people don't know their history: I often muddle things up!

Your research is very, very interesting: I do hope that you'll put pen to paper, one day.

My best wishes,

Sean.
Sean,

I've PM'd you.
Gary Barnett is online now   Reply With Quote