Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > On The Front Burner

On The Front Burner News & Events which are of importance to the modern Ripper researcher.

Old February 28th, 2017, 10:39 AM   #21
Edward Stow
Researcher

Grieve put Corwell onto Sickert. She credit's Scotland Yard with finding her suspect for her.
Edward Stow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 05:04 PM   #22
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Butler View Post
So did I Debs. I was surprised how cheap it was. Starting it this evening. It certainly looks smart with its animated screens.
I was chuffed at how cheap the Kindle version was too Paul! My version doesn't have all the fancy stuff going on unfortunately. I tried looking to enable them as instructed but I mustn't be compatible.
Debra Arif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 05:55 PM   #23
Christer Holmgren
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Stow View Post
Grieve put Corwell onto Sickert. She credit's Scotland Yard with finding her suspect for her.
Okay. Do you know on what grounds, roughly?
Old March 1st, 2017, 01:48 PM   #24
Edward Stow
Researcher

Buffoonery grounds
Edward Stow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 05:09 PM   #25
String
innocent bystander & former captionmeister

Rippers victims apparently included children

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrit...ldren-10033537
String is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 05:24 PM   #26
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Arif View Post
I was chuffed at how cheap the Kindle version was too Paul! My version doesn't have all the fancy stuff going on unfortunately. I tried looking to enable them as instructed but I mustn't be compatible.
The fancy stuff works on my Android tablet. I love that idea and it's possible to enlarge the individual pictures separately to full page, which is great for looking at detail pointed out.
Debra Arif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 04:08 PM   #27
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Default March 16, 2017

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ostitutes.html

String posted a link to the Mirror with the same story, previously....
Old June 6th, 2017, 10:53 AM   #28
Paul Butler
Who?

Has anyone else finished this book? It took me a while as I kept being distracted by other things. A compelling read it isn't, but it's not that bad either.

It appears to me that she has spent an awful lot of time and money to very little end. It does seem quite likely that Sickert wrote maybe a handful of the ripper letters, but that really is about as far as it goes for me.

She disses the diary, (obligatory in most suspect led books that don't finger Maybrick), but gets the cause of James's death wrong, which is very sloppy for someone who keeps reminding her readers of her forensic credentials, and does little to inspire confidence in her own theory.

The Dna evidence she used in her original book is passed over quickly, and her theory no longer seems to require it.

I'm glad I read it. I was interested as to why she chose Sickert as her suspect in the first place, but I'm none the wiser now on that point.

Still, it was worth a read at the price.

Paul B (The other one)
Paul Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2017, 11:45 AM   #29
Anna Morris

This is almost off topic but when I read a suspect book I try to think if that suspect could have known other suspects. The authors of the suspect books do a lot of research that connects their guy to the murders. Maybe it is coincidental but there is a connexion with these suspects and the crimes and that brings forth my favourite word, "why".

I don't believe Sickert ever killed anyone. I am still a fan of Tully's book on James Kelly. It may be a leap from stabbing a wife in the throat to becoming JtR but it isn't impossible. Could James be a connexion to Sickert? Were upholsterers hired to stretch artists' canvases? I believe they were. Or simply being in the furniture improving business could have made a connexion to Sickert via routine work.

This has been a private thought of mine since Cornwell's last book came out. The main thing that has dampened my idea is that Dr. Weston-Davies said his family knew Sickert and Walter would talk non-stop about JtR but knew nothing. So I get the idea Sickert was an early Ripperologist, fascinated with the subject but knew no more than we do now.
Old June 29th, 2017, 09:29 AM   #30
Leonardo Salvaggio
Debunker

I've published my review of Cornwell's book:

http://jacklosquartatore1888.blogspo...ickert-di.html

To me her book is beyond stupid. One cannot be blamed for murders based on his paintings or his writing style.