Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > General Help Request & Items For Sale Forum

General Help Request & Items For Sale Forum Researchers and the general public place your wants and items you wish to sell or trade here

Old March 17th, 2017, 11:17 AM   #1
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Default Australian Ripper Related Research- Eileen Luscombe

A generous offer by Eileen Luscombe
If you have a request, either give me a p.m. or contact Ms. Luscombe.

Folks, popping into the state archives in Melbourne in a month or so to research my PhD topic, not ripper related Happy to check out police correspondence, not digitised. Box is indexed 1888. Able to take photos, not for publication. Any preference of JTR suspect names, not Deeming as assume police case notes published elsewhere. Can recall others mention police on case who stated a suspect went to Australia? was that only Deeming, or another? If so, what date range would tie in with the police correspondence to Aus as it may hold letters from English police re ripper investigation.

https://www.prov.vic.gov.au/search_j...kw&deftype=off
Old March 17th, 2017, 02:43 PM   #2
Anna Morris

I am not going to make a request because I am not involved in serious research at this time but I would like to mention something. Probably someone else will bring this up but in case no one does, George Hutchinson in Australia would be of interest. I am of course thinking of the article in Ripperologist about a George Hutchinson that arrived in Australia from London.
Old March 17th, 2017, 07:35 PM   #3
Eileen Luscombe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Morris View Post
I am not going to make a request because I am not involved in serious research at this time but I would like to mention something. Probably someone else will bring this up but in case no one does, George Hutchinson in Australia would be of interest. I am of course thinking of the article in Ripperologist about a George Hutchinson that arrived in Australia from London.
Do you have an approx date, and did Hutchinson arrive in Victoria?
The correspondence commences from 1888, boxes are location specific.

https://www.prov.vic.gov.au/search_j...kw&deftype=off
Eileen Luscombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2017, 04:39 AM   #4
Adam Went
Researcher

Hi Eileen,

Not a request but you might be interested to see if there's anything on file there about Lionel Druitt, cousin of Montague and probably the other Ripper suspect besides Deeming that you're thinking of. He was living in Victoria at the time of the Ripper murders.

Cheers,
Adam.
Adam Went is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2017, 04:43 PM   #5
Anna Morris

"Ripperologist", issue 146, October 2015, has this article, "Terror Australis: Whatever Happened to George Hutchinson", by Stephen Senise.

This George Hutchinson came from London and arrived in Sydney, Australia, New South Wales, October 1889, on the ship Ormuz. His year of birth was estimated to be 1861.

He was accused of, "indecently assaulting two children" but was convicted of "indecent exposure". He received two years and was released from Darlinghurst gaol in Sydney, 17 August, 1896.
Old March 19th, 2017, 11:37 PM   #6
Eileen Luscombe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Morris View Post
"Ripperologist", issue 146, October 2015, has this article, "Terror Australis: Whatever Happened to George Hutchinson", by Stephen Senise.

This George Hutchinson came from London and arrived in Sydney, Australia, New South Wales, October 1889, on the ship Ormuz. His year of birth was estimated to be 1861.

He was accused of, "indecently assaulting two children" but was convicted of "indecent exposure". He received two years and was released from Darlinghurst gaol in Sydney, 17 August, 1896.
The local archives are specific to Victoria. If Hutchinson left NSW post gaol he may have travelled down to Victoria. TROVE has several Hutchinson mentions in NSW Victoria and Tasmania. A few articles lists a description that match his height and colouring. Did he have a middle name? May have changed his name on release given his convictions against children.
Eileen Luscombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 08:45 AM   #7
Anna Morris

I will go over the article again and see what I can pick up. I don't think there is a middle name. There was also another George Hutchinson in Australia who was a farmer at the time.
Old March 24th, 2017, 03:38 AM   #8
Adam Went
Researcher

If anyone has any more information on the Hutchinson(s) in Tasmania I could certainly try to chase that up from my end. As i've found out from past experiences using Trove though, while it is a brilliant resource, you can be led down the proverbial garden path by people with the same names.

Cheers,
Adam.
Adam Went is offline   Reply With Quote