Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Victims > Emma Smith

Old December 24th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #1
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Default Emma Smith In The People

I just realized that we didn't have an individual Forum for Emma Smith.
Old December 24th, 2012, 07:57 PM   #2
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Interesting article found on........

http://londonaftermidnight1888.tumblr.com/

People
London, United Kingdom
Sunday, 15 April 1888
HORRIBLE AFFAIR IN WHITECHAPEL
Outrage, Robbery, and Murder.
A case investigated at the London Hospital last week by the coroner for East Middlesex, Mr. Wynne E. Baxter, disclosed the most shocking details of an outrage, accompanied by robbery, and resulting in murder. - According to the evidence of Mary Russell, the deputy-keeper of a common lodging-house in George-street, Spitalfields, a woman named Emma Eliza Smith, described as “an unfortunate”, who had lived 18 months in the house, left home on Monday evening in her usual health, and returned between four and five next morning suffering from terrible injuries. The woman told witness that she had been shockingly ill-treated by some men and robbed of her money. Her face was bleeding and her ear was cut. Witness took her at once to the London Hospital, passing through Osborne-street on the way, near a spot close to the cocoa factory (Taylor’s), which Smith pointed out as the place where the outrage had been committed. Smith seemed unwilling to go into details, but said she was badly injured in the region of the abdomen. She did not describe the men nor give any further account of the occurrence to witness. - In reply to the coroner, the witness declared her belief in the truth of the statement.
The victim might have had some drink, but was not so drunk as not to know what she was saying. - Dr. G. H Hillier, the house surgeon in attendance on Tuesday morning, when the deceased was brought in, corroborated the evidence of the last witness as to the intoxication. She had probably been drinking, but was not intoxicated, and knew what she was about. The description of the injuries was horrible. When admitted to the hospital about five a.m. the patient was bleeding. A portion of the right ear was torn, and rupture of the peritoneum and other internal organs, recently caused, led him to believe that the injuries had been caused by some blunt instrument, which, as the peritoneum itself had been perforated, must have been used with very great force. The account given of the occurrence by the unfortunate woman to the doctor was that about half past one on Tuesday morning, when near Whitechapel Church, she saw some men approach, and she crossed over the road to avoid them, They followed, assaulted her, robbed her of all the money she had, and then committed the outrage. She was reticent with regard to the details but distinctly denied having addressed the men in solicitation. She could not tell whether it was a knife or what instrument had been used. There were two or three men, one of them looking like a youth of about 19. The patient died on Wednesday about nine a.m. of peritonitis, set up by the injuries inflicted. - In reply to questions from the coroner and the jury, the doctor said he had no doubt whatever that death had been caused by the wounds. He had found the other organs generally in a normal condition. The deceased stated that she came from the country, but said had not seen any of her friends for ten years. - Another woman subsequently examined as a witness deposed to seeing Emma E. Smith about a quarter past twelve on Wednesday morning near the Burdett-road, talking to a man dressed in dark clothes with a white neckerchief round his neck. She, the witness, had been assaulted a few minutes before seeing Smith, and was getting away from the neighbourhood, where there had been some rough work that night. Two fellows had come up to her, one asking the time and the other striking her on the mouth, and both then running away. She didnot think the man talking to Smith was one of her assailants. - The last witness, Mr. John West, chief-inspector of police of the H Division, aid he had no official information of the occurrence. He had questioned the constables on duty in the Whitechapel-road at the time, but none of them had either seen or heard any such disturbance as that indicated in the evidence on their beat, nor had seen anyone taken to the hospital. He would make inquiries as to Osborne-street in consequence of what had transpired at the inquest. - The coroner, in summing up, said that from the medical evidence, which must be true, it was perfectly clear that the poor woman had been murdered, but how it had come about there was not the slightest evidence to show. - After a short consultation a verdict of wilful murder against some person of persons unknown was returned by the jury.

The state of our London streets at night is an old subject and a sore one. It cannot be said that at any time within memory of living man their condition has been particularly creditable to the greatest capital in the world. Still, there certainly was a time, and that not very long ago, when things were very much less disgraceful than they are now. The seamy side of London life which is revealed to anybody whose homeward way lies through Regent-street or Piccadilly at midnight is positively shameful. Cases (one in particular our readers will remember which is not yet decided) are continually arising of riot and assault by women as well as men; and the police are powerless to prevent solicitation and annoyance. The reason is that since the “Cass Case” the constables have orders to arrest no women for solicitation unless they are actually given in charge, a step which is not always easy or safe to take. The consequence is that it is impossible for any decent man to go quietly along without being accosted, and perhaps assaulted, by women and their male companions. This must be altered and the absurd order to the police rescinded. Otherwise there will be nothing done but to form a strong vigilance committee to obtain evidence in a sufficient number of cases to strike terror into these evil birds of the night. At present respectable people are practically at their mercy.
Old December 24th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #3
Stan Reid

Thanks How. Interesting that they would not rule out a knife as the weapon.
Stan Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 10:22 PM   #4
Dusty Miller
just curious

Not an anniversary I've thought about before, but R.I.P. Emma Smith.

Thanks to Tom's book I've been looking closely at her story recently and suddenly realized the date.

Hopefully the other murder victims died instantly, poor Mrs. Smith died slowly and in a lot of pain.
Old August 27th, 2014, 01:31 PM   #5
Keith Murray
Assistant to Mr. Mann

Default Emma Smith as potentially crucial (with appreciation for recent publications)

Largely driven by recent research and publications, and recognizing the greater-covered territory of the canonical victims as perhaps less likely to offer new insights, it does seem that focusing on the earlier cases makes good sense. Obviously numerous people are doing this.

The idea, represented here and in Tom Wescott's book, that the apparent group murdering Emma Smith may have included a later break-away "Jack," and that with Martha Tabram's death a somehow related cover-up prompted Pearly Poll's bizarre exploits in misdirection, offers possibilities. These possibilities include

* a route of progression that connects the earlier and canonical cases (gang participant breaks from group and commits solo murders driven by his own emergent sexual-sadistic motivations

* someone in role of community authority - common-lodging house owners/managers with their own reasons for managing publicity away from themselves - stimulating false testimony

This theorizing does require acceptance of Mrs. Smith's claims of a gang attack. Perhaps her strange actions in avoiding making a report and seeking help in her Bataan-Death-March treks back the to the lodging house and then off to the hospital while bleeding from mortal injuries is explained by fear of the "group" as well as confusion and embarrassment. As the Hayes' report of being smacked on the head that night by toughs does not necessarily relate to Mrs. Smith's attack, and Mrs. Smith may have simply been explaining her plight in a way that wouldn't require her to divulge being attacked in the course of prostitution, and a single attacker was responsible anyway.

Nevertheless, continued attention on these earlier attacks - and any others - do appear to offer a route of explaining events in a fuller context than "lone nut cracks up and heads into the street." I say this even though that is precisely how many of these cases progress. It just seems as if a little more was going on than that, perhaps.
Keith Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 03:58 PM   #6
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Dear Keith:

Excellent post....and in particular your positing of this possibility :

"Mrs. Smith may have simply been explaining her plight in a way that wouldn't require her to divulge being attacked in the course of prostitution, and a single attacker was responsible anyway."

I, for one, can envision a prostitute using the claim of multiple attackers...to avoid the indignity of telling the hospital that "I got this while turning a trick".

It also occurs to me that that's why she may have avoided the police in the first place. One theory is that the police were either not 'doing their beat' on the route she took or they were indifferent to her as she made her way back from Bataan ( good one, by the way....).

In avoiding the police, she won't be subjected to any inquiries as to how she received the wounds from people ( the police ) who may have been familiar with her.
By going to the hospital, it now becomes easier to use the multiple attacker excuse...the hospital people wouldn't ask her uncomfortable questions, like the police might or would have.
Old August 27th, 2014, 08:12 PM   #7
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Keith:

Personally thinking out loud here, the most likely way or only way one man could have assaulted her in the way she was assaulted would have been a case of her leaning forward, skirt up, with her back to him.
I really doubt if one man could have committed that heinous act with her on her back.
Your opinion ?
Old August 27th, 2014, 08:39 PM   #8
Alan Bartlome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Murray View Post

This theorizing does require acceptance of Mrs. Smith's claims of a gang attack. Perhaps her strange actions in avoiding making a report and seeking help in her Bataan-Death-March treks back the to the lodging house and then off to the hospital while bleeding from mortal injuries is explained by fear of the "group" as well as confusion and embarrassment.
Interesting...
I just started re-reading Tom's book and specifically the section about Emma Smith. It's noted in Tom's book that there was no blood on Emma's clothing. I also referenced "Scotland Yard Investigates" and it implies all the blood was saturated into Emma's "woolen wrap" with no blood found on the ground.

I've looked in a few texts and can't find any clothing description aside from it being in "such dirty ragged condition that is was impossible to tell if any part of it had been fresh torn." (Scotland Yard Investigates.)

Does anyone know of description of Emma's clothing before or after the attack? I know it's not likely given Emma's life status, but perhaps the lack of blood on her clothing was due to a change of clothing while back at 18 George Street. It would explain the lack of blood anywhere else. It could help confirm the idea that Emma's story was a fabrication.

thanks

Alan
Alan Bartlome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 11:48 PM   #9
Keith Murray
Assistant to Mr. Mann

Default Emma Smith's "situation"

Thank you for following up on my post. As a newcomer I expect I'm repeating much and confusing some, and covering things already considered and sorted by many other people. I'm just trying to see how the Emma Smith event can suggest supportable explanatory scenarios fitting other events - like threading bits of unconnected bones.

The Emma Smith evidence is famously sparse, as you know. We find a reference to a lack of blood on clothing except on the shawl ("woolen wrap") used to stanch the bleeding on the trip to the hospital. No blood was found at the alleged site of the attack, of course. I haven't seen anything else on her clothing's specifics, but I'm looking, Alan.

I think the specific part of the attack that ruptured her perineum and caused other internal injuries could have been done by one person (meaning without someone holding her in place) and a couple of positions could have facilitated the damage done. In fact (pardon me but this is the nature of the case) downward forceful thrusts at different angles with the victim positioned on her back could, it seems, explain the vagina-to-anus "breaking." Tom Wescott cites a popular assumption of a walking stick, which usually have a tapered end and can be on the sharper side of blunt. The other internal injuries do not seem to be specified, but one can imagine a general bruising at best and multiple rupturing as well. Does all that make sense to you, Howard? Perhaps even multiple attackers would have found the on-the-back position more facilitating to the assault.

I verified the speed at this peritonitis can occur after this sort of injury, and death within two days is not unheard of. It has seemed fast, but happily I am not closely acquainted with the speed of peritonitis setting in. I also assume that blood loss and shock probably expedited death, so the general timing of her death can fit the claimed time of her attack.

Alan, when everything is looked at it does seem, doesn't it, that there is a chance that the attack did occur elsewhere than claimed, and perhaps indoors (as others have suggested)? It seemed they really wanted her out of the house, and the several hours involved, and the fact that (to my recollection) the only witness of Mrs. Smith being on the street was Margaret Hayes/Hames, who was at the house when Mrs. Smith supposedly returned injured hours later. Convenient, perhaps, because Hayes was able to state that she herself had been hit by toughs that night, setting up a sense of the reasonableness of Emma Smith's claimed experience.

More than two possibilities exist, and the circle each other. Among them:

1. The story given was fundamentally true. Multiple attackers on the street acted, with the chance that one - the Ur-Ripper - was one of them and initiated the genital assault, which relates to later refinements of his attacks. Because of the parties involved and some connection to the lodging house, a cover-up story was worked out. 1b. Mrs. Smith could have lied about her reasons for being out, and sought to avoid embarrassment/identification as injured in the process of prostituting herself.

2. Mrs. Smith was out on the street as claimed and was attacked by one person who, given the focus of the assault, could have been the Ripper. 2b. Again, Mrs. Smith's reasons for being out could have been lied about. If only one attacker was involved, the reason for a cover-up and lack of police report and the execrable hospital trip seem to relate more to getting her out of the house than protecting anyone.

3. Mrs. Smith was assaulted in the lidging house. This explanation offers the most direct reason behind a cover-up and dissembling descriptions of the events. The house would need to be protected for various reasons - identity of assailant and avoidance of on-premise inspection among them. All the more reason to get her out and keep the police out of it. So the Hayes pre-attack and sighting of Mrs. Smith and the fear-invoked demand that she go along with the "I was out and bad men attacked me on the street to rob and rape me" stories all worked to keep the focus elsewhere. No one came to inspect the house and interview people, did they, as happened with the Martha Tabram case?

So the attention given to Pearly Poll's puppet-string machinations (She obviously was reluctant and an emotional wreck through the Martha Tabram mess - and remember the Pizer business she was in, too.) can be seen to perhaps echo with the way Margaret Hayes could have been offering cover.

Or not, of course.

Newbies can be too verbose, too.
Keith Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 01:41 AM   #10
Tom_Wescott
Researcher and Award Winning Author

Hi Keith, Alan, Dusty, Howard, et al,

I was pleased and surprised to see an Emma Smith thread open, and positively thrilled and humbled to see my book being discussed alongside it. And then bowled over by how sensible the discussion has been.
I became a bit obsessed over the Emma Smith murder for a while before writing my opening chapters and looked everywhere for any new info. Thinking like Alan, I wanted more descriptions of her clothes, but if they're out there, they haven't been re-discovered. It's safe to say that anything of interest regarding the Smith murder that is currently known is mentioned in my book, at least that was my intention.
I do not believe that the story Smith allegedly told Russell (not to be confused with Hames as she sometimes is) and Dr. Haslip was the truth for several reasons, not the least of which was the timeline and the absolute lack of blood where she said the crime happened. She clearly was not interested in reporting the crime and successfully avoided doing so. Likewise, her lodging house mates and the deputy keeper went to pains to not report the crime. She had to tell the doctor something, so she told him a gang story.
Regarding the injuries inflicted to her, she was most likely unconscious when they happened. She was hit about the head as well. Unfortunately, we do not have a catalogue of the injuries inflicted to her, only the barest description of the injuries that led to her death.
Emma Smith was the second Whitechapel murder. The first was Emily Horsnell. Had the police and doctor decided not to spare expenses and the rightful verdict of murder was returned, I'm certain Horsnell would indeed have gone down as the first official victim in the series. But we, today, are not burdened by such politics or budget concerns, so I believe it's time we take Horsnell on and look at her as the first of the Whitechapel murders and likely the first in a series of crimes. Now, that series of crimes may only have been herself and Smith. Or maybe add Tabram. Or maybe the whole bunch. But I feel the most logical conclusion is that the murders of Horsnell/Smith/Tabram were indeed related. And when viewed at from that perspective and entirely new view of the Whitechapel/Ripper murders begins to open up.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Tom_Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote