Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Victims > Emma Smith

Old August 29th, 2014, 01:31 AM   #21
Tom_Wescott
Researcher and Award Winning Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Murray View Post
Agreed on all points, Tom, thanks. Yes, you were careful about discriminating between suggestive avenues for further investigation and a "ta da" proclamation. And your point about keeping the attention on the work is the foundation of research.

I agree on the relative uselessness of profiling except as plot device for television shows - not that I'm an expert. I mentioned my personal experience just for background on my approaches. Anything I hazard about trying to understand the context of what was driving the attacker(s) is, I hope, grounded in a simple tracing of the progression of his actions. And I promise not to

Also, I accept that "identity removal" was too likely strong a term for the facial work not related to immobilizing the women. It is an open matter, though, to me about the eyes. Messing with eyelids while leaving the orbs suggests something I'm not prepared to get into just yet.

I use the term "conspiracy" in the manner I think you defined.

And I promise not to announce that Queen Victoria was the culprit and actually a man until I'm absolutely sure of it.
LOL. Save the Queen Victoria revelation for your book. I was ranting about the conspiracy thing, but it's a personal buggerboo. I'm not a fan of so-called 'conspiracy theories' myself, but if you look at these early murders from a mafia perspective, it makes sense. The mafia is a criminal conspiracy and the set-up that the lodging house owners had was like a crude mafia.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Tom_Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2014, 06:06 PM   #22
Cogidubnus
Derelict and Drifting

Hi Tom

Quote:
I'm glad you said that, because I've seen people say they like or don't like my 'solution', which I'm always struck by because I don't recall offering one! What I did do was build what I think is a rather convincing argument founded in the best evidence we have that certain individuals were either involved with or had knowledge regarding the commission of the first three Whitechapel murders and possibly those of Nichols and on as well. Howard Brown our illustrious host here at the forums, has been quite outspoken on the fact that new information is constantly turning up. His opinion is that writers are nuts to put out suspect or solution books because a new discovery could render their argument moot in a moment. I agree with him when it comes to silly books. But I tested my evidence as best I could and I believe it's important to collate this stuff into something like a book for easy reference and to get out to more people. My hope is precisely that it will spur research and new discoveries. I couldn't care less whether I'm proved right or wrong as long as people keep looking and finding stuff.
One of the best comments you've posted yet regarding your book, and it echoes strongly with me...even if most of what you've surmised later proves to be mistaken, you've presented us with one of the best demonstrations I've ever seen on how to develop hypotheses from very limited data...and I think you've forced more folk than you'd believe to rethink these early cases...

(I freely admit, in my own case, before reading your book, I'd have perhaps considered Martha Tabram as an early case...but wouldn't really have gone any further back, despite debates on Casebook...now, well it's a far more open than shut case...)

All the best

Dave
Cogidubnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2014, 07:12 PM   #23
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

One of the best comments you've posted yet regarding your book, and it echoes strongly with me...even if most of what you've surmised later proves to be mistaken, you've presented us with one of the best demonstrations I've ever seen on how to develop hypotheses from very limited data...and I think you've forced more folk than you'd believe to rethink these early cases...

Cogidubnus

Amen to that Dave....couldn't have said it better.
Old August 29th, 2014, 07:16 PM   #24
Tom_Wescott
Researcher and Award Winning Author

Hi Dave, thanks for that, and I hope you're right. The more seasoned and set-in-their-way researchers have been very polite to me, but more or less passed over the research without much real interest, which I suppose is to be expected. So that's why I say that I don't think it will really catch on until the upcoming generation gets more vocal on the scene. At that point, I would expect a number of things in the book will become accepted wisdom, as they should. Others will (and should) remain a matter of debate until more data is acquired.

Incidentally, when I speak in term of 'generations' within Ripperology, I'm referring not to the age of the Ripperologist, but the era at which they're entering the scene.

Yours truly

Tom Wescott
Tom_Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote