Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Victims > Emma Smith

Old March 30th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #1
Tom_Wescott
Researcher and Award Winning Author

Default Emma Smith's mother?

I don't see myself using this for my book so I thought I'd share it.

The police were never able to trace Emma Smith's family to inform them of her murder and all they learned was gossip from lodging mates. This gossip had Emma abandoning her family around a decade before and not keeping in touch with them. Emma also said she came 'from the country' and it appeared she was more cultured than native East Enders. All of this fits (give or take a couple years) with the following notice of a woman looking for her estranged daughter. Was Emma Smith's maiden name Moesby? Only so many women named Emma Smith could have abandoned their families and remained estranged for that time, so it's a possibility. The following is from the Queensland Figaroo Punch (Australia) of Sept. 21st, 1889.
Tom_Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 01:19 PM   #2
Tom_Wescott

Hi Jon, I wondered about that myself. But here's the same add from Reynold's Newspaper, August 4th, 1889. She asked that it be copied to Australia newspapers, probably because she didn't have the slightest clue where her daughter was. But the ads started in London.
Attached Images
File Type: png Emma Smith Moesby Reynold's Newspaper Aug 4th, 1889.PNG (38.3 KB, 80 views)
Old March 30th, 2013, 10:41 PM   #3
Wicker Man
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Simons View Post
Thanks Tom. That`s worth looking into. But I think it is in the Aussie newspaper because this Emma Smith emigrated.
Or did she tell her mother she was emigrating when she left Nottingham, but got no further than London?

Emma Smith must have been a common name, but if the mother new it then is there a marriage license in 1881 for a woman named "Emma Smith, nee Moesby" ?

" observed the medical authority, "he's a good deal sharper than those who are not".
Reynolds Newspaper, 4 Nov. 1888.
Wicker Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 11:10 PM   #4
Tom_Wescott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicker Man View Post
Or did she tell her mother she was emigrating when she left Nottingham, but got no further than London?

Emma Smith must have been a common name, but if the mother new it then is there a marriage license in 1881 for a woman named "Emma Smith, nee Moesby" ?

Hi Wick. Please note my second post on this thread. After my first post I discovered this other ad in a London newspaper, published in the month before the Australian one. So she was looking for her in London but also availing herself of the Australian papers, which is certainly understandable when you don't know where your child has gone.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Old March 31st, 2013, 09:00 AM   #5
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Meant to say "nice find" yesterday, Tom.
Hope this turns out so you can use it.

The police knew more than we did about many details, but I think in certain areas way researchers in 2013 have an edge on them.
Who would look in the Figaroo Punch ?
Old March 31st, 2013, 07:43 PM   #6
Tom_Wescott

Thanks, Howard. I was thinking that someone like Neal Shelden might trace this back to see if it checks out. As I noted before, only so many married women named Emma Smith could have abandoned their families for London or parts unknown between a 7 and 10 year period prior to 1888. But then, I've ran into far stranger and more frustrating coincidences in my research.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Old March 31st, 2013, 08:00 PM   #7
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

But then, I've ran into far stranger and more frustrating coincidences in my research.
-Tom Wescott-

Like Nina and the two Carrie Brown's.....
Old March 31st, 2013, 09:41 PM   #8
Tom_Wescott

Yes, and recently I came across two characters who shared a less than common last name. If they turned out to be siblings, it would be a significant break in the case, so I asked Debs to check it out. Both their parents had the exact same names, but guess what....no relation!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Old April 1st, 2013, 08:07 AM   #9
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

I agree about the interest here, Tom.
In theory the Emma smith nee Moesby mentioned in this clip should be simple to trace-we know her mother's name and location in 1891, we know there are links to Pontefract and Nottingham, plus we have an unusual surname in Moesby/Mosby.
There are a couple of likely candidates but the trouble is the marriage indexes don't show any marriage between a Moesby/Mosby and a Smith that could relate.

I also made a note of female Moesby marriages for the right time frame and noted the surname of the groom and then looked for a marriage after that date for a woman with the same surname and a Smith, in case Emma Moesby had been married before. No joy so far.
Debra Arif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 10:08 AM   #10
Chris G.

Hi All

Somebody who has full access to Ancestry can check this out, but there appears to be an Emma Hart nee Moesby (1859-1929), died at Karrakatta, Western Australia, aged 70 years, on December 28, 1929, beloved wife of Henry Hart, per the tombstone. Could this have been the daughter from Pontefract, Yorkshire?

All the best

Chris
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/[/URL]
2 days of talks & 2 days of tours, April 6 to April 9!
Places still available.
Don't Miss Out on the Only North American
Conference on the Whitechapel Murders
in the 130th Anniversary Year of the Crimes
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote