Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Motives and Reasons > 7. Occult

7. Occult “Then he becomes an ageless pathological monster, crouching to kill, on evenings when the stars blaze down in the blazing patterns of death.” - Robert Bloch

Old December 18th, 2006, 01:44 AM   #11
Magpie
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Savage

"SRA Networks", I am afraid that I am unfamiliar with that, perhaps you could enlighten me?

Rgds
John
Yeah, what Dan said

Hi How.

SRA networks operate along the same lines (and in fact with many of the same beliefs) as believers in CIA mind-control, or alien abduction. A vast majority of them are victims in the 80's fad for Recovered Memory Syndrome, in which the psychologists ended up doing more damage than they healed.

Unfortunately it created a lucrative industry for self-proclaimed "experts", most of who had little qualifications beyond a psychology degree or past police career, combined with Conservative Christian values and a keen sense of marketing.

I know more about those quacks than I care to, simply because in high school I fit their definition of an "at risk" youth--high-grade underachieving loner who played D&D, listened to metal, watched horror movies and read a lot (especially of the "wrong" books). My school board, PTA, local church groups ad nausium constantly launched campaigns to expunge almost everything that I enjoyed. And they often used the "resources" of these kooks as both justification and blueprint for their actions. Of course as a non-voting minor there was little to stop them.

And of course it was all a storm in teacup, because I grew up into a well-adjust member of society who plays heavy metal, watches horror movies and still reads the same wrong things, plus spends a lot of free time studying a famous serial kill.....um......okay, so maybe I'm not the best example

All of this is seperate from actual ritual crimes, which I admit likely do exist to some extent. But these dufuses go after the soft targets--sort of like the ATF raiding an Amish community becuase it's easier than going after the Hell's Angels.

At least us metalheads had it easier than the Goths
Old December 18th, 2006, 01:48 AM   #12
Magpie
Researcher

Hi How.

Sorry I got caught up on my rant and forgot my point, which was that SRA and ritual crime are too separate things. It's like equating crop-circles with astronomy, just because both groups deal with object from (what they believe to be) from Outer Space
Old December 18th, 2006, 07:04 AM   #13
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Mag:

There is,as you just showed,an enormous gulf between researching crimes that do have a link to Palo Mayombe ( as one example ) and actively seeking links within crimes to justify the existence of groups that see Beelzebub far too often for my liking.

I give the "seekers" a little credit though,Mag. At least they aren't so self absorbed as many parents are of kids who commit horrendous crimes in that despite the overblown approach to Satanic crimes by the SRA types....they might be helping some parents of kids that are involved with that time wasting activity and of course,providing entertainment for the rest of us.
Old December 18th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #14
Dan Norder
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Norder
The page on the history of SRA and other folktales has some pretty remarkable gaps (the idea that these beliefs were ever inactive is silly) and some mistakes (it's very unlikely that the majority of witchcraft accusations were actually made against followers of an "Old Religion", and especially not Wicca, as it is a modern religion invented with the last century or so), but otherwise I can generally recommend the site.
By the way, the people who run this site have since emailed me to say that this section will be updated to take these concerns into account...! I wasn't expecting that at all, but wow.
Old December 19th, 2006, 08:18 PM   #15
Magpie
Researcher

Hi Dan.

Religioustolerance is actually pretty good about accepting feedback and trying to correct things. It's a pretty good website all round
Old December 25th, 2006, 03:33 PM   #16
TimeRover
Former Member

Render unto Satan?

Back when I had a "day job", one of our corporate clients was late for the marketing meeting. He apologized and said his day hadn't gone well and that he was wearing one black sock and one brown one. The reason, he said, was Satan.

The very moment before I burst out laughing at this absurdity I remembered that this guy was a very devout Fundamentalist Christian who did actually believe Satan was out to confound him on a daily basis, even to the point of mixing up his socks. I gritted my teeth and listened to my boss agreeing with him (they were of like mind). That scene has stuck with me every since.

To attribute a simple human error to the 'power' of a dark entity (should he/she/they exist) was a revealing look at our behavior. Rather than saying "I screwed up and grabbed the wrong sock" this fellow actually believed the Prince of Darkness had gone out of his way to make sure he wasn't color coordinated. How did the different sock lead to Satan's domination of the world? I didn't have the luxury to ask.

I am sure there are ritual slayings -- not all those who practice paganism are of the Light variety. To attribute a huge share of our murderous carnage to them is much like hearing hoofbeats and thinking of zebras.

TimeRover
Old December 25th, 2006, 06:02 PM   #17
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Hi Jana

I remember Colin Wilson once saying something about murders in the Middle Ages. He said that then, as sometimes now, when someone was revealed to have committed appalling crimes, the reaction from those who knew him was "but he seemed such a nice, ordinary little man." Wilson says that demonic possession was a way of reconciling the magnitude of the crime with the ordinariness of the perpetrator - in the days before psychology caught on.

Robert
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote