Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Crime Scenes > The Bucks Row Project

The Bucks Row Project Steve Blomer's work on recreating the Bucks Row murder of August 31st, 1888

Old January 3rd, 2018, 10:15 AM   #91
Gary Barnett

Just to complete the picture, Henry's brother, Thomas Christened his son, Ellis, on 9/11/1887 in Manchester. Ellis died in Whitechapel on the Monday following the double event. He was in hospital over the weekend. William Tomkins (Henry's dad) was found in an alcoholic coma in Winthrop Street in April, 1888 by one of his sons (it's not clear which one). He did not recover.

It's not clear exactly when the family moved back to London, or whether they all relocated at the same time, but it seems to have been late '87/early '88.

Incidentally, Wynne Baxter presided over William's inquest, so that may explain Henry's behaviour at the Nichol's inquest.
Gary Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 10:19 AM   #92
Steve Blomer
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barnett View Post
Just to complete the picture, Henry's brother, Thomas Christened his son, Ellis, on 9/11/1887 in Manchester. Ellis died in Whitechapel on the Monday following the double event. He was in hospital over the weekend. William Tomkins (Henry's dad) was found in an alcoholic coma in Winthrop Street in April, 1888 by one of his sons (it's not clear which one). He did not recover.

It's not clear exactly when the family moved back to London, or whether they all relocated at the same time, but it seems to have been late '87/early '88.

Incidentally, Wynne Baxter presided over William's inquest, so that may explain Henry's behaviour at the Nichol's inquest.
hi Gary

yes i think i have most of that already from yourself apart from the death of the nephew.

sent you a pm

Steve
Steve Blomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 01:38 PM   #93
Steve Blomer
Researcher

From the previous thread on this, it appears that the earliest date for the Norther route being called Bucks Row is1830. Orginially posted by Gary.
Jerry supplied the details of the map to me.compiled by surveys in 1824, 25 and 26.
Map is by C. & J. Greenwood.

Steve
Old January 5th, 2018, 02:53 AM   #94
Dusty Miller
just curious

Names sure changed a lot. In 1873 Winthrop was called Little North Street (even though it was south of Bucks Row!).
Attached Images

Old January 5th, 2018, 03:15 AM   #95
Gary Barnett

Hi Dusty,

Yes, the first part of Brady Street, running north from the Whitechapel Road, was originally called Ducking Pond Lane and what would eventually become the south side of Winthrop Street was Ducking Pond Row. Later, Ducking Pond Lane became North Street and Winthrop Street became Little North Street.

Gary
Old January 5th, 2018, 06:38 AM   #96
Steve Blomer
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Miller View Post
Names sure changed a lot. In 1873 Winthrop was called Little North Street (even though it was south of Bucks Row!).

Hi Dusty,
Which Map is that from. I don't seem to have one for 73 on my list.

Cheers

Steve
Old January 5th, 2018, 08:11 AM   #97
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Blomer View Post
Hi Dusty,
Which Map is that from. I don't seem to have one for 73 on my list.

Cheers

Steve
Hi Steve,

I hope Dusty doesn't mind if I respond on his behalf - it's the 1873 Ordnance Survey map.

Gary
Old January 5th, 2018, 11:30 AM   #98
Steve Blomer
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barnett View Post
Hi Steve,

I hope Dusty doesn't mind if I respond on his behalf - it's the 1873 Ordnance Survey map.

Gary
Thanks Gary,
I already have over 30 maps so it gets a bit confusing. Just sorted them all into a file.
Debs raised has mentioned the Hackney carridge list mentioning Bucks Row in relation to Coverley fields.
One map from 1814 calls Charles street (north bakers row) Coverley st.

Steve