Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Victims > Elizabeth Stride

Old July 10th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #21
Cris Malone
Historian

The marginalia was written by someone from the Home Office, probably Godfrey Lushington, not Swanson. Swanson wrote his report in ink and all of the marginalia is in pencil, and in a different hand. You can even see the squiggly lines get heavier as the lead wears down as he's covering up his mistake... which is what it was.

I can't make out all of the words but it seems that Lushington got the sightings and timings from the different murders confused and realizing this, he marked it out. Pencils didn't have erasers on the end of them back then.

He then simply writes below, "The woman murdered in the City."
"Objectivity comes from how the evidence is treated, not the nature of the evidence itself. Historians can be just as objective as any scientist."
Cris Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 05:55 AM   #22
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris Malone View Post

The marginalia was written by someone from the Home Office, probably Godfrey Lushington, not Swanson. Swanson wrote his report in ink and all of the marginalia is in pencil, and in a different hand. You can even see the squiggly lines get heavier as the lead wears down as he's covering up his mistake... which is what it was.

I can't make out all of the words but it seems that Lushington got the sightings and timings from the different murders confused and realizing this, he marked it out. Pencils didn't have erasers on the end of them back then.

He then simply writes below, "The woman murdered in the City."
Hi Cris

Is this post of yours a joke? Excuse me if I am misunderstanding what you mean.

If you are saying what I think you are saying, and understand your point, how did the book get from Swanson's possession to the Home Office? When Anderson's book came out in 1910, wasn't Swanson retired? Wouldn't he then have had the book at home and not at Scotland Yard? From the time Swanson came into possession of the book, whether he purchased it in a bookstore, or got it by mail, or was sent it or presented a copy by his former boss, if that happened, the book was clearly in the possession of the Swansons, wasn't it and not at either Scotland Yard or at the Home Office.

Best regards

Chris
For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 06:26 AM   #23
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Is this post of yours a joke? Excuse me if I am misunderstanding what you mean.--CG

Cris is talking about the police report from October 19th, 1888, CG...not Swanson's marginalia in his copy of SRA's book.
Old July 12th, 2012, 10:06 AM   #24
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO
Theorist & Speculator

Cris is correct I think

The actual report is by Swanson and the marginalia is most likely written by Mr Lushington
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #25
Cris Malone
Historian

For a moment I thought we were in the Twilight Zone here. I was about to bum a smoke from Rod Serling.
"Objectivity comes from how the evidence is treated, not the nature of the evidence itself. Historians can be just as objective as any scientist."
Cris Malone is offline   Reply With Quote