Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Critics Corner + Opinion Central

Critics Corner + Opinion Central Book and articles reviewed...Theories analyzed....You know what they say about opinions...they're like Ripperological viewpoints....everyone has one.

Old November 17th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #21
Tom_Wescott
Researcher and Award Winning Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by How Brown
Tom:

My next question would be how do we know the Ripper kept close attention to the details of the Case in the newspapers ?

We don't know all of what the police knew, as they didn't reveal all they knew contemporaneously....particularly little details ( which we would love to know, for sure ) in the press....so how would he know ?

There is nothing to definitively show that the killer could even read...read English....or was interested in the newspaper articles at all.
The killer of Martha Tabram certainly read the papers, but the jury is still out as to if she was a Ripper victim. But we were asked to speculate as to the October lull, so I've been speculating. I consider it a relatively safe bet that the Ripper(s) read the papers and kept abreast of develoopments.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Tom_Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #22
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Tom:

Why do you think the killer read the crime reports relating to Tabram ?

As a theory, what you propose isn't a bad idea...I think my reaction to your questions is a result of my development as someone who plays close to the vest and doesn't speculate that much on someone who didn't communicate with the police like some other serial killers/ one off murderers have done in the past.

Previously, I should have said "someone who didn't communicate with the police ,to the best of our knowledge, like some other serial killers/ one off murderers have done in the past.
Old November 17th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #23
Tom_Wescott

Long story, How. Working it up now. But I think you'd find it compelling.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Old November 17th, 2012, 10:25 PM   #24
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Thanks, Tom.
Again, I'm not attempting to be cynical but merely curious.
Old November 17th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #25
Wicker Man
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
Hi Howard. I think the timing is just too perfect for it to have been coincidental. The Dear Boss letter was likewise held by its author until after the inquest was completed (when the post script was written). I'm not suggesting the Dear Boss letter was legit, but use it to illustrate how much attention was put on the inquest findings. And no man in London would have been paying more attention than the murderer.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
The more that rational reason's are proposed (and thankyou Tom for those) for the 'calm before the storm', the less we seem to be considering the lunatic at large as a principal suspect.

I don't think we can have it both ways.

Regards, Jon S.
" observed the medical authority, "he's a good deal sharper than those who are not".
Reynolds Newspaper, 4 Nov. 1888.
Wicker Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #26
PC Shmith
Former Member

Perhaps there was a lull in October because Schwartz didn't testify at the Stride inquest and/or Lawende's description of who he saw was withheld at Eddowes inquest. This is a change from the Chapman inquest where the witnesses freely gave descriptions of who they saw.

If I were the killer (of Stride and/or Eddowes) and knew that I'd been seen that night with a victim, I would be very much interested to know how accurate a description the police had of me. Upon realizing that this very information was being withheld, I would become very worried that the police might have a good description of me and I would lay low. I am, of course, assuming here that the killer was rational and sane enough to keep tabs on the inquests and newspapers.
Old November 18th, 2012, 01:59 AM   #27
Tom_Wescott

Hi Wickerman,

Can you expound? I don't think we're forgetting the lunatic at large theory, I think we've just moved past it. It doesn't work in these cases.

Howard,

Oh, I know. Actually, when it comes to Tabram, I believe you're leagues ahead of most others in your thinking.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Old November 18th, 2012, 09:36 AM   #28
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

PC:

Thanks for that....I also think that had the Mitre Square killer been literate...and even then, if some scuttlebutt had been making its rounds as to a fairly good description of the killer, made its way to his ears... I could see him taking a vacation of sorts. I know I sure as hell would.