Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Motives and Reasons > 20. Schizophrenia

20. Schizophrenia "Schizophrenia was first identified about 1806. This might be something to think about as we ponder whether the man who was Jack the Ripper could have been a schizophrenic. - Christopher George

Old October 2nd, 2013, 04:11 PM   #1
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO
Theorist & Speculator

Default Policing lunatics

In a current case an ex-convict and cocaine user was released from custody, only to randomly stab a young girl to death

He was convicted of manslaughter and sectioned under the mental health act but I noted that the police were unable to speak to him since his arrest because they could not legally do so while he was being "psychologically evaluated"
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 08:06 PM   #2
Jennifer Shelden
Researcher

That is interesting ,fair I suppose ,anything toy say and all that .
I have to say policing lunatics is what drew me to look
not what I thought it would be but interesting ,!
Old October 2nd, 2013, 08:50 PM   #3
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO
Theorist & Speculator

Hi Jen

Without really knowing what went on with this man in a legal sense, I thought it untoward that the police would not get a look-in after his arrest for a brutal murder

Perhaps this is also relevant to the JtR case in that the police at the time appeared to have "difficulty" in dealing with Kosminski, similarly with Isenschmid IIRC in that access to him was denied by medicos

Would it have been considered unacceptable to the public to say that JtR had been caught but would not hang because he was insane?

Anderson and others appear to use the phrase "safely caged" and "incarcerated" in an asylum to counter any adverse opinion about Kosminski

I think a majority would be more interested in punishing JtR rather than treating him for an illness

If tried, as with this modern murderer, would it be acceptable to only convict JtR of manslaughter?
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 09:34 PM   #4
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Hi Nemo

Presumably there would be no trial because, if the Ripper was insane, he would be found unfit to plead. That probably wouldn't play well with the public. But if the police were able to charge him on something more minor, and he was unfit to plead, they could still put him away in Broadmoor, or maybe some other asylum, and the public would never know that he had "got off" until later.
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote