Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Community's Collective Wisdom

The Community's Collective Wisdom "Scotland Yard was really no wiser on the subject than it was 15 years ago.."-F.G.Abberline,1903. The question is...are we ?

Old October 25th, 2014, 12:10 PM   #1
Alan Baird

Default PC William Theodore Males/Izzard family

William T. Males was 25 years old when he joined the City of London Police, standing 5 feet 10 inches tall with brown hair and a fresh complexion. He served with the police from 26/4/1894 until 30/11/1903. William was born in 1873 [Oct - Dec.] in Hitchin, in Hertfordshire. William's previous employment was with Humber & Co Ltd of 32 Holborn Viaduct who were a cycle manufacturer.
On the 30/9/1898, William T. Males married Lillie Louisa Izzard who's father was James Alfred Izzard, Chief Inspector with the City of London Police. [See previous thread regarding the Izzard family.]
William, I would suggest, was probably a good and professional police constable and this can be evidenced by an incident that occurred on the 24/6/1896 when he was rewarded 10 shillings for courageous conduct in stopping a runaway horse. William's normal weekly pay was 28 shillings, during this same period. William was also commended on the 23/7/1900, for intelligence shown in bringing to justice a man who had committed a robbery on the G. M. Railways.
William's father-in-law Chief Inspector James Alfred Izzard retired in 1900 and about this time William seems to have started to go off the rails.
[1] 5/1/1899. 2 minutes late for muster and using improper language to his sergeant. Loss of 3 days leave
[2] 22/2/1899. 19 minutes late for muster. Promotions retarded till Commissioners pleasure.
[3] 22/2/1902. Being inside the Girdlers Arms Public House for the purposes of drinking whilst on duty. Fined 5 shillings.
[4] 5/7/1903. Quarrelling and fighting with PC 115 Gough whilst on duty in plain clothes. Not to be put on plain clothes duty again.
[5] 28/11/1903. Drunk and disorderly and making obscene language in the Magpie Public House, 12 New Street whilst in plain clothes and off duty. Required to resign forthwith. This particular report is very interesting and I will try and summaries it later.
Does anyone have any information or suggestions on the following :-
[a] PC William Theodore Males had a police number of 108, then 408, 879 and 131. I am unsure why it would change so much?
[b] Regarding the reward/commended/for the runaway horse and robbery on the railway, would there be any reports in the local papers?
[c] There must be group photographs etc of City Police Constables, any ideas?

any info would be much appreciated,
thanks,
Alan.
Alan Baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2014, 12:35 PM   #2
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Nice work, Alan.
Hopefully, someone involved in police research or geneaology can assist.
Old October 25th, 2014, 01:44 PM   #3
Alan Baird

Default Required to resign forthwith

6th Division Report, 29/11/1903 by District Inspector F. Chapman.

At 5.40pm, on the 28/11/1903, District Inspector F. Chapman was called to the Magpie Public House, 12 New Street, Bishopsgate Street and was informed by the manager, that the individual identified as William Males, was drunk, being abusive and using obscene language, had been refused service and was now refusing to leave the premises.
District Inspector F. Chapman with the assistance of the manager removed William from the Public House.
Since William lived nearby the inspector accompanied him home and William promised to go up the stairs to his flat quietly. William rang his door bell and then started to abuse his wife and then returned to the Magpie Public House and again demanded to be served.
This time District Inspector F. Chapman took a Police Sergeant [P.S.40] with him to attend the Magpie Public House. William Males was removed from the premises but only after considerable effort, abuse and violent behaviour and was taken to the Police Station.
William Males then claimed he was not drunk and a doctor was summoned to also make a report.
William Males was required to resign forthwith.

[Obviously, in my opinion, no District Inspector is going to attend a disturbance in a Public House alone - unless he was forewarned that an off duty police constable was involved and especially if he knew that constable personally. I think Inspector Chapman did all he could to calm the situation but drink won in the end.

Another witness that was officially listed, was Chief Inspector Jones.

Alan.
Old October 25th, 2014, 03:08 PM   #4
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Hi Alan

William got married in 1897. The date you give was 4 days after the birth of son Alfred! That really would have been taking a risk, to tamper with the Chief Inspector's daughter in that manner.
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2014, 03:38 PM   #5
Alan Baird

Default marriage 30/9/1897

Hello Robert,
Your comments about the Chief Inspector's daughter made me smile - well spotted - the marriage was on the 30th of September 1897.

thanks,
Alan.
Old October 27th, 2014, 10:46 PM   #6
Curryong

Talking

Maybe Lillie had been wronged by some other man and William gallantly offered to save her from social disgrace of being an unmarried mother?
Curryong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 07:28 AM   #7
Robert Linford

He is mentioned a few times in the papers but I haven't seen anything about the horse incident.

In 1911 he was a Persian carpet salesman so perhaps the police moved him into the flying squad.
Old October 28th, 2014, 08:40 PM   #8
Alan Baird

Default Persian Carpet Salesman

Hello Robert,
There was a request for a reference, in his file, from a prospective employer and the Police reply made it quite clear that he was required to resign from the City of London Police.
I think William probably continued to pay dearly, for his drunken conduct, for some considerable amount of time, after being forced to resign.
At least by 1911, he was still with his family and if he was a good Persian carpet salesman - maybe even making more money than a Police Constable. Who knows?
I know William had brown hair and grey eyes, a chest measurement of 36 inches, stood 5 feet 10 inches tall and had a scar on the back of his hand etc but without a photograph it is hard to complete the picture.....if you know what I mean.
The funny thing is... that photography was really taking off during this early period. The Salvation Army, for years, had been taking, before and after photographs of the children/adults in their care or service and sold these to raise fund etc. Lots of photographic clubs were springing up all over the place. Yet, there does not seem to be many Metropolitan and City Police examples about?

many thanks,
Alan.
Old October 28th, 2014, 09:31 PM   #9
Robert Linford

Hi Alan

He lived till 1937, and Lily lived into her 90s, so there might well be a photograph of him taken at some point in his life in the possession of descendants.
Old October 29th, 2014, 05:04 PM   #10
Alan Baird

Default Completed

Hello Robert,
I usually only research an individual and go one generation before and after ie look at their parents, brothers and sisters and then their own children and this is done quite briefly.
This particular project I think is now complete, as I have accumulated a mass of information/history.

many thanks,
Alan.