Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Community's Collective Wisdom

The Community's Collective Wisdom "Scotland Yard was really no wiser on the subject than it was 15 years ago.."-F.G.Abberline,1903. The question is...are we ?

Old June 25th, 2015, 02:22 PM   #11
Alan Baird

Default enquiring agents London

Hello,
One thing I forgot to say was if anybody knows of any stories or articles on the subject of ''Enquiring Agents'' in London, during this period, I would be most grateful to hear them or know where to locate them. I suppose their work would mainly consist of things like debt recovery and finding missing individuals or maybe protection work and I am sure it would have swung, quite easily, from legal to illegal practices.

Alan.
Alan Baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 07:47 PM   #12
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Alan, this is difficult. We really need more data.

I haven't seen hide nor hair of Charlotte and the children since their arrival in Canada.

Re the 1901 George V Keating, well, there's no other George V Keating that I can find. It could have been WVK. He may have been a widower - Charlotte may have died between 1893 and 1901. But it just doesn't feel right to me. Why would he change his name to George? And the notion that an ex-Lance-Cpl, who was sacked from the police, and then set himself up as a private eye, would be able to live on his own means seems a bit unlikely. Also even if we accept GVK as WVK, we have the same problem : he simply disappears.
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 09:21 PM   #13
Jerry Dunlop
Information Extractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Baird View Post
Hi Robert,
That is fantastic and it would explain why there appears to be no records, of any of the 3 of them, after the England Census of 1891 which always seemed a bit strange. The names and ages are all good [checked against the 1891 census] and so the probabilities of these being our family..... seems high.
I think it would be unusual for a man to send his family to America first and then follow on at a later date and so it might be that they had separated.
I would have thought a man would be more likely go to America and get everything really for his family arrival.
The George V Keating in the England Census of 1901, I still feel is probably William, just the usual coping mistake putting George instead of William but if I am wrong, then it would most likely be a close relative. If his wife had gone to America approximately 8 years before....then you can imagine him classing himself as widowed. I would be interested in what you think of the theory so far.
thanks
Alan.
This could be a nice find in regard to the George Neating [Keating, Netting] that was written about in a letter ( August of 1901) forwarded to Scotland Yard from the Cardiff Police in connection to the Mary Ann Austin case? Ripper Notes #24 (Norder, Clack and Vanderlinden)
Jerry Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 12:15 PM   #14
Alan Baird

Default Imgination time

Hello Robert and Jerry,
I think this might be one of those situations where you have to put forward the most plausible explanation or scenario to explain what happened to this family......unless something breaks. It is still amazing that approximately 122 years later, we can find some credible theories of what possibly did occur, even if you can't 100% prove it.
Anyway, in 1891, the whole family are recorded in the census but after that, they appear to disappear, no deaths, no births, no census entries etc but there are 2 entries that could be them:-
[a] Robert's ship record.... leaving from Liverpool......all the family names are correct and so are their ages so to me, that is definitely a strong possibility of being them.
[b] The second entry is the 1901 census record, only the Christian name is wrong and there is a real chance that the clerk when rewriting the census information made a mistake and instead of writing William put down George instead. There are lots of similar mistakes in these type of records. The rest of the name ''V. Keating'' and born in ''1856 and in Ireland'' are all correct and match up. There appears to be no ''George V Keating before this 1901 census record but there is the William V Keating records.

Now is gets a bit over the top, imagine William who served in the Army and was a Police Constable in the toughest division in the Metropolitan Police and has experience in dealing with most aspects of criminal life and then gets dismissed from the Police and then his wife and family leave him so where does he go to get easy money from and becomes able to live on his own means, by the time, of the next census? Crime.....only joking.
Anyway, that 1901 entry, whether it is William or not, seems to disappear to.
Alan.
Old June 26th, 2015, 07:40 PM   #15
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Hi Alan

I think I did check the prison records.

Don't worry, something will probably turn up.
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 08:43 PM   #16
Alan Baird

Default hello

Hi Robert,
I must admit I would be disappointed if he ended up in jail, you get kind of fond of some of these individuals you research. I did, early on, have a quick look at the Irish census records, in case he went back to Ireland but with no success.
thanks you.
Alan.

Last edited by Alan Baird; June 27th, 2015 at 06:16 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old June 27th, 2015, 07:15 AM   #17
Alan Baird

Default Enquiry Agencies in 1891/92.

Hello,
Since we know William V Keating was an ''Enquiring Agent'' in 1891, I thought I would see if I could find any ''Enquiry Agencies'' in London, in 1891......only just started but found one ''Private Enquiry Agent, Chancery Lane Offices...John Meilkejohn, in 1892.
need to go.

Alan.
Old June 27th, 2015, 06:53 PM   #18
Alan Baird

Default Holborn

Hello,
Never really had the chance to check anything today but I did notice something interesting.....this John Meiklejohn [private detective] in 1892, had offices at Chancery Lane which I think would be Chancery Lane, St Andrew, Holborn. Well.....William Valentine Keating [enquiring agent] was residing 66 Red Lion Street, St Andrew and St George, Holborn. [1891 census]. It would be easier and logical to find employment from an existing and established agency, especially if it is in you local area, than to attempt to set up your own business.
Alan.