Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Community's Collective Wisdom

The Community's Collective Wisdom "Scotland Yard was really no wiser on the subject than it was 15 years ago.."-F.G.Abberline,1903. The question is...are we ?

Old June 21st, 2016, 05:47 PM   #1
Alan Baird

Default Aldous murder 1905

Hello everybody,
I was wondering if anybody could help with the following :-

There was a Police Constable George Aldous who walked the beat within 'K' or Bow division during the Jack the Ripper murders and the following are some details about his family and Metropolitan career.

Police Constable George Aldous [407K].
Warrant number 72380.
Served the whole of his 26 years pensionable engagement with 'K' or Bow division.
Retired on the 24th of March in 1913. PC - 'K' division - pensioned.

PC George Aldous gave evidence at an Old Bailey Trial involving a case of housebreaking which occurred on the 9th of September in 1895.

George Aldous was born in Stradbroke, in Suffolk, in 1865. There are quite a few 'Aldous's' in this area.

On the 19th of June in 1890, he married Catherine Jane Southgate, in the Parish of Christ Church, Jamaica Street, in Tower Hamlets. The marriage certificate confirms his employment as being a Police Constable and that his father was Edward Aldous, a labourer.

By the England Census of 1911, we find PC George Aldous and Catherine Jane Aldous are residing at 12 Winsor Terrace, in Beckton, in East Ham.

Aldous is quite an unusual name and originally meant ''old.''

Now for the most interesting part :-
I am trying to research if this particular Police Constable had a direct family connection to the, ''murder of Ellen Aldous by Charles John Aldous on the 6th of November in 1905.''
There is a National Archives record [Metropolitan Police] MEPO 3/171, application for legal aid from Charles John Aldous, on the charge of murder/manslaughter. [1905/06].
I have found a death listing for an Ellen Elizabeth Aldhos [probably spelt wrongly on the original document], born in approximately 1870 and who died between October and December of 1905 and the death was recorded in the district of Shoreditch. I am not sure if this is the correct Ellen Aldous but it does match up.
Unfortunately, I have not been able to trace Ellen or Charles John Aldous in the England Census records or have found any articles regarding the actual trial etc.
I was hoping somebody might be able to supply further details. Any help would be most gratefully received.

regards,
Alan.
Alan Baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 07:33 PM   #2
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Hi Alan

His name spelling, age and occupation may have varied over the years, but he was 'Aldhous.'
Attached Images

Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 12:13 PM   #3
Alan Baird

Default Many thanks

Hello Robert,
Many thanks for the information and the correct spelling of his name as being, ''Charles Aldhous,'' and unfortunately this almost certainly means he is not connected to PC George Aldous.

Charles Aldhous must have been prosecuted not for the murder of Ellen Elizabeth Aldhous but for her manslaughter. Ellen Elizabeth Aldhous [nee Gregory] was his second wife whom he married in 1898. I suspect the children from his first marriage to Mary Amelia Aldhous [nee Wright], had all left home by the time of the killing. Either Charles John Aldhous was cleared of the manslaughter charge or was only sentenced to a very short time in prison.
This is because in the England Census of 1911, we find that Charles John Aldhous is residing with his eldest daughter and her family in Yorkshire. He is recorded as being a widow and I am guessing it was best for him to leave London due to the death of his second wife.

Once again many thanks Robert, as it is so easy to stray onto the wrong path due to small changes in the spelling of people's names.

regards,
Alan.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 12:58 PM   #4
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

You're welcome, Alan.

I'm not a lawyer but I think 'bill ignored' meant that there was no trial. He certainly wasn't sent to prison.

Actually around the time of the death Charles seems to have been in the Enfield/Edmonton area. Perhaps his wife ran off and he followed her to Shoreditch.

I suspect if there was a blood relationship with the policeman, it was a distant one.
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 04:39 PM   #5
Alan Baird

Default Tks

Thanks again Robert, for I missed the relevance of the ''Bill ignored'' column.

I also did not find any trial records and therefore it is reasonable to suspect that the authorities did not consider it worthwhile proceeding with a case against Charles John Aldhous.

From the Census records it would appear Charles John Aldhous's first marriage was successful i.e. they brought up a family and remained together until his wife's death and was employed as a silversmith etc. Maybe what happened in November of 1905 was a one-off incident.....we will never know.

I agree there could only be a very distant family connection between Charles John Aldhous and PC George Aldous........long, long odds.

Alan.
Old July 21st, 2016, 03:21 PM   #6
Alan Baird

Default This is what happened

What actually happened.......................................... .................................................. .....................
Imagine - it is 9.30pm on the 6th of November in 1905, Charles John Aldhous who is 45 and a boot maker by trade, is still sitting in his shop repairing a pair of boots. The shop is situated at 3 Greville Street, in Holborn. His wife Ellen [35] is also in the shop and they are quarrelling. Then suddenly Ellen throws something at her husband and he then jumps up and strikes her on the head with one of the boots he is repairing. This is all witnessed by Samuel Elijah Farmer, a painter and neighbour who lives at 2 Greville Street, in Holborn. In fact, Samuel prevents both Charles and Ellen from continuing the violent argument and Ellen then goes upstairs to their rooms.

Elizabeth Perry [Ellen's mother who is also a widow] was upstairs at 3 Greville Street, in Holborn when her daughter came in and Ellen stated, ''he has been knocking me about again.'' Ellen complained about pains in her head and seemed to be dazed and she did not improve over the next few days and was therefore taken to the doctor's surgery on the 13th of November. On the 16th of November Ellen was rushed to St Lukes Infirmary where she lay unconscious and in a critical condition.

On the 16th of November, H Perry [Ellen's brother] residing at 43 Milner Square in Islington, made a formal complaint to the Metropolitan Police accusing Charles John Aldhous of being responsible for his sister's current grave condition.

Charles John Aldhous was arrested at 8.45pm on the 16th of November 1905, at his home in Holborn.

On the 18th of November 1905, Ellen Aldhous died.

Medical evidence at the inquest stated that there were no external marks, injuries or wounds to Ellen's head or body but that death was the result of internal bleeding within the brain/head. [The examination found she was in otherwise good general health and well nourished.]

Charles John Aldhous was to be charged with manslaughter but no proceedings were continued against him.

Maybe the results of that particular argument was going to be enough punishment and he was going to have to learn to live with the consequences of that argument for the rest of his life.

The information above was taken from actual copies of Police Reports regarding this particular Victorian incident and I just thought I should complete the story since I now know what actually happened.

regards,
Alan.