Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Critics Corner + Opinion Central > Intellectual Debate & Philosophical Observations

Intellectual Debate & Philosophical Observations Is Ripperology an industry ? Is it a reflection of a cultural misogyny ? Why are women so captivated by a male murderer ? Why are men ? That and other issues, yours to ponder and yours to present.

Old November 30th, 2016, 11:30 AM   #11
San Fran

I'm not too concerned with Ripper authors. Although I am more interested in the people who are interested than in the interest.

Chris' quote could also be a variation on this reason for hypothesis when the evidence runs out, which it does, and you start looking for some:

Quote:
Making random experiments, without having a clear objective in mind (and preferably an already safe tested method), is like playing with fire without knowing what the fire is. At the moment science advances in little safe steps; no one wants to put his life in danger. Scientists, when they have an hypothesis, they already know something about the elements with which they are going to experiment and they, more or less, calculate the risks and the dangers. So, when you hear about extraordinary scientific achievements, you must know that behind those scientific achievements have been very many little steps. We see only the end result and we perceive it as a scientific leap.
https://www.quora.com/Why-is-it-impo...fic-experiment
San Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2016, 11:45 AM   #12
San Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Poster View Post
An hypothesis can be anything. A horse killed Eddowes....P
An hypothesis is a relationship between two variables. A horse or not a horse.

I understand your clarification on hypothesis versus theory. I guess I really am talking about theory, not hypothesis....

My idea of theory is a bunch of hypotheses put together, all verifiable or falsifiable in my opinion, at least by time. One falls, the whole falls. Nothing falls, it stands.
Old November 30th, 2016, 07:07 PM   #13
Mr. Poster
Twit

I see your point but this is getting a bit Pierre for me!
P
"Chance hasn't yet peached on Jack the Ripper.If she ever does, it will probably be cause for grotesque disappointment among the Ripperologists, who get as much joy from attacking one another's lunacies, as from any problems originally posed by the Whitechapel murderer" R. Gowers, The Independant, Saturday, 31 December 1994
Mr. Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2016, 09:57 PM   #14
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Not sure we need to go too deeply into it all - just :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nagC41Pe4c4
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2016, 10:50 PM   #15
San Fran

Okay, Robert, I'll just follow where the "evidence" leads....