Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Critics Corner + Opinion Central > The Buddy System

The Buddy System Forum for individuals to express their views on mutually shared beliefs regarding any aspect of the Case.

Old April 28th, 2009, 06:09 AM   #61
Bob Hinton
Author

Default Hold on there...............

I covered the allegation that Eddowes was a well-known prostitute in my book. What it boils down to is this. The first mention I could find of Eddowes being a prostitute was in Dan Farson’s book ‘Autumn of Terror’.

In this he states that Major Smith asserted that:

“The beat of Catharine Eddowes was a small one …she was known to a good many constables”

Two things. First of all how do you rate Major Smith, who never let the facts stand in the way of a good story, as a reliable source?

Secondly his statement is typical of a Senior Officer who never walked a beat. The City of London Police covers what is arguably the smallest area in the world, a single square mile. Beat officers knew every nook and cranny of their beat – and the villains who worked there. They certainly knew the majority of the working girls. Look at Dew who gives details of the working girls he knew.

So that being the case how is it possible that with a ‘prostitute’ (Eddowes) who was well known to the beat officers in the area not one single officer who came across her that night, from the beat officers who arrested her to the desk sergeant and station officers knew her name!

When she was arrested she gave her name as ‘nothing’ and back at the nick she was booked under the name of ‘Kelly’. This doesn’t really back up Smiths assertion that she was ‘known to a good many constables’ does it?
Old April 28th, 2009, 08:42 AM   #62
Pilgrim
Arch. Investigator

Default .....

Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 09:05 AM   #63
Monty
---- ---

Rob,

No, two wheeled escape van if I remember right.

I think its reported in the Star....I maybe wrong of course.

Monty
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 09:08 AM   #64
Monty
---- ---

Pilgrim,

This is most likely an account of Lawende and Levys sighting, as Harris stated he saw nothing.

Monty
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #65
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO
Theorist & Speculator

I think if Eddowes was a prostitute then she was a very reluctant one judging by the other means by which she attempted to make some money

I think the police could easily have known her by sight only - identifying her as an "unfortunate" even though they never spoke to her or knew her name
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:25 AM   #66
Currerbell
Former Member

Thanks Pilgrim for the newspaper report....and to Monty for possibly/probably identifying the 2 witnesses...

Bob - your post was extremely interesting to me...if anyone is going to know her it will be the bobbies on the beat, no Major is going to be remotely interested in knowing the names and patches of every prossie in the City, surely?

And you have a point there about them not knowing her name and asking it....
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #67
Pilgrim
Arch. Investigator

Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #68
Currerbell
Former Member

An examination of the sewers under Mitre-square was made yesterday without result. The inquest on the second victim will be opened on Thursday.
At eight o'clock yesterday morning, it was discovered that the Aldgate Post-office had been entered by thieves, the safe burst open, and money and stamps to the value of nearly 400l. stolen. The building is very near Mitre-square, the scene of one of the recent murders.
It is supposed that the robbery took place on Saturday night, for it seems incredible that any thieves should have been daring enough to enter the premises after the great commotion caused by the discovery of the murder but a few yards away, and the consequent presence of so many police in the district.

From the Morning Advertiser 2 Oct 1888

Interesting to note they searched the sewers, that seems a modern thing to me...

Also, interesting to read about the post office, near to Mitre Sq, being hit.
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #69
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currerbell View Post
From the Morning Advertiser 2 Oct 1888

Interesting to note they searched the sewers, that seems a modern thing to me...

Also, interesting to read about the post office, near to Mitre Sq, being hit.

Don't forget Victor Hugo's novel Les Miserables (1862), wherein the protagonist Jean Valjean effects his subterranean escape by means of the Parisian sewer system.

Chris
For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #70
Currerbell
Former Member

Havent read Les Miserables, tho I can probably sympathise with them...