Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Community's Collective Wisdom > Whatever Happened To..........?

Whatever Happened To..........? Re-examining various areas of the Case

Old January 6th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #11
Donald Souden
Researcher & Author

I know most people lament the disappearance of Dan Norder

Only ones who even marginally lament his disappearance are his many creditors.

On a more serious note, however, i can think of six prominent Ripperologists (the quality of their contributions is always a matter of opinion, but they were all well known) who have pretty much left the field for one reason or another. They are: Glenn Andersson, Ivor Edwards, Philip Hutchinson, Leanne Perry, Alan Sharp and A.P. Wolf.

It is interesting, perhaps, for those on this forum who talk of doing a book that all six published Ripper books and then -- sooner or later -- faded from the scene.

Don.
Donald Souden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #12
Jennifer Shelden
Researcher

Hi again Adam and Tom,
that said it was a shame about Ripper Notes. Not sure what happened to the Golden Age of Ripper Mags, there is only Ripperologist left that I bother reading these days, this said i suppose that this is only fitting since it has by far the best name. Is Ripperana still even going?

I understand that Alan Sharp, who edited the online part of RN, is now a stand up comedian in Scotland. I would love to see him live as he is a very humerous person so I am sure it is a great show. Its a shame he isnt around in Ripperology more though - his book was great.

I think people just run out of things to say and do other things. I know that some people choose to keep a lower profile these days.

Jenni
Old January 6th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #13
The Grave Maurice
Researcher

I rather miss Dan, Don. (Sorry, thought I heard bells ringing.) He was clever, witty, and informative.
The Grave Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2012, 09:31 PM   #14
Stan Reid
Burden to society

Ripperana is flourishing.

Whatever happened to the flying car or the atomic powered airplane?

We did finally get the TV that hangs on the wall but about 30 years later than it was promised.

Whatever happened to ? and the Mysterians and the Segway - oh never mind.

Stan
Stan Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #15
Tom_Wescott
Researcher and Award Winning Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Souden
Only ones who even marginally lament his disappearance are his many creditors.
Lol. I knew I could count on you for a funny reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Souden
On a more serious note, however, i can think of six prominent Ripperologists (the quality of their contributions is always a matter of opinion, but they were all well known) who have pretty much left the field for one reason or another. They are: Glenn Andersson, Ivor Edwards, Philip Hutchinson, Leanne Perry, Alan Sharp and A.P. Wolf.
You might want to PM Philip and tell him to stop posting so much or else people will forget he left the field. Glenn Andersson was a putz, though a pretty cool guy. Ivor and AP were iconoclasts and that's about all I'll say. Leanne Perry? How'd she make the list? And Alan Sharp was like the rich man's Mike Covell - turned out some good research (I value my copy of his book) but primarily seemed to like talking and blogging about himself. I do miss Alan, Ivor, and occasionally AP.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Tom_Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 12:20 AM   #16
Scott Nelson
Schoolyard Bully

Oh, Jeezzz. What a bunch of kunckeheads.
Scott Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 07:32 AM   #17
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Souden View Post

It is interesting, perhaps, for those on this forum who talk of doing a book that all six published Ripper books and then -- sooner or later -- faded from the scene.

Don.
Closure perhaps?
Debra Arif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 01:25 PM   #18
Donald Souden
Researcher & Author

Tom,

Nothing funny about what Norder did to people who trusted him.

Otherwise, for someone planning his own book, you might well heed the advice about those living in vitreous domiciles not hurling igneous projectiles.

As it is, I take exception to several of your opinions. Surely, Glenn Andersson is not a putz (whatever meaning you put on the word). A stubborn protagonist, yes, but also a very gracious gentleman. Alas, he has gone over to the "dark side" and become a Freemason.

I did stipulate "well known" and anyone plying the boards seven years ago would have thought Leanne owned them, she was so frequent a poster along with Richard Nunweek. As it is, she was a very nice woman who suffered a serious automobile accident a few years ago.

In the end, though, perhaps Mrs. Shelden is correct and people tire of the game and move on to other pursuits. They may well be the wiser among us.

Don.
Old January 7th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #19
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Don, I never knew of Leanne's car accident. Do you know how she is?

I always had the feeling that Leanne's main interest in Ripperology was to update Bruce Paley's book, so when she did that, I wasn't terribly surprised that she left the boards, though I think she was missed. A car accident never occurred to me.
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #20
Donald Souden
Researcher & Author

Robert,

The accident was prior to the publishing of her book -- Catch Me When You Can-Jack the Ripper -- several years ago (which I reviewed for Ripperologist and found surprisingly good). While it may have focused her attention on finally getting the book finished, it seems to have played hob with her life in other ways.

Don.