Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Critics Corner + Opinion Central

Critics Corner + Opinion Central Book and articles reviewed...Theories analyzed....You know what they say about opinions...they're like Ripperological viewpoints....everyone has one.

Old September 21st, 2012, 06:25 PM   #1
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Default Were SRA & MLM Both Right ?

Just out of curiosity...I was wondering today whether anyone on The Forums entertains or has entertained the notion that it is possible that both Sir Robert Anderson and Melville Macnaghten were correct about their preferred suspects ( Kozminski and Druitt, respectively) being murderers, and who, conceivably, were both involved in one murder or more within the skein of murders ?

Is it possible, therefore, that both men were right to a certain extent ?

Thank you.
Old September 21st, 2012, 10:41 PM   #2
Cris Malone
Historian

That's a good question.

Certainly its possible. Don't know which murders would apply to each though. I really believe both Anderson and Mac relied too heavily on psychological profiles that may have been misplaced and maybe some family suspicion - no real evidence.

With these murders sharing many common traits, one would have to be copying the other unless Koz or Montie did a one off for some other reason. Just can't see two or more individuals suddenly deciding to take out unfortunates in the same area at the same time unless one is a copycat as Phillips feared.

If there was a copycat murder in this skien, it would be McKenzie I would think, and I believe Phillips thought of her as such. Maybe Kozminski killed her and Druitt did the C5 or 6?

Problem is, I don't think Anderson was considering McKenzie for his suspect - although he did mention the broken clay pipe.
"Objectivity comes from how the evidence is treated, not the nature of the evidence itself. Historians can be just as objective as any scientist."
Cris Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 11:44 PM   #3
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Cris:

Personally, I wouldn't have any problem accepting Kozminski as Stride's killer and someone else being responsible for Nichols,Chapman and Eddowes...at least.
However, I doubt that Druitt was involved in any way at all.

That's just my opinion.

I hope others chime in as you have done on this speculative subject and offer their views.

Thanks as always for stepping up to the plate,cous !