Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Critics Corner + Opinion Central

Critics Corner + Opinion Central Book and articles reviewed...Theories analyzed....You know what they say about opinions...they're like Ripperological viewpoints....everyone has one.

Old October 11th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #1
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Default The October Lull : Differing Views

Compare the reason offered by the unnamed individual who treated lunacy patients...as opposed to one supported by Forbes Winslow.
That may be found within the first three paragraphs of this article.

Your views, please.

Reynolds's Newspaper
November 4, 1888
----
Old November 15th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #2
Kate Mills
Former Member

Hi How,

I haven't formulated a firm opinion on whether the killer/s were insane or not. (Much like many of my thoughts, I much prefer to see all sides of every coin!).
From reading about many murders, from all realms of time, a murderer can equally be insane, physiologically/psychologically damaged or just plain bad. To be 'insane' is to be unable to differentiate moral rights from wrongs; was this definition of lunacy the same in the 1880s? If so, I can't see how JtR can be classified as clinically insane as we know it; he evaded capture and being caught in the act extremely well and at close calls in some cases. It can't have been purely luck, but the acknowledgement that what he has done is wrong.
I'd be inclined to think he had huge psychological problems (if indeed the same killer of the first few victims was one and the same as that of MJK) rather than being clinically insane, which in turn leads me to relegate jilted lovers and the like to the sidelines. Personally, I am not 100% convinced the same hand was responsible for all the canonical 5, leading back to me not having a firm opinion on this.

I concurr with the evaluation that there was a lull, as he was at close call to being caught so thought it wise to take cover for a while. Maybe that explains the savagery of MJK's killing to a point - statiating a blood lust that had been growing while he had to abandon his 'work' for a while. (If indeed it is the same man).
Old November 15th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #3
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Thanks a lot for the response, Kate...much appreciated.

I also have doubts about the set of women mentioned by Macnaghten as being the sole victims.
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #4
Tom_Wescott
Researcher and Award Winning Author

Hi Howard,

Another interesting and important find. I observed recently on Casebook how it's odd that a fleet of researchers focusing almost solely on Kozminski missed this stuff, but you can spend 10 minutes researching him and turn something new up! Here it says their Batty Street suspect was a resident of the street and, more importantly was cleared of all suspicion. As you know, some writers are arguing that this suspect was Kozminski. I say that's obviously not the case. Regarding the Kensington knives, it's interesting there were two of them found, and it makes me wonder if one of those isn't the knife currently in Don Rumbelow's possession.

As for the October lull, I honestly think it was because the Ripper came close to being caught on the night of the double event, and chose to lay low. Other factors might have come in to play, but I think that was probably the predominant one.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Tom_Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2012, 06:09 AM   #5
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Thanks for that Tom.

One other possible reason for the absence of known action on the part of the killer is the presence of Vigilance Committee members...probably in all the right places at the right time. Now, in light of his work in Mitre Square, people saw him working at the four corners of the East End...

Another is that he simply was not in the area at the time...as in at sea.
Old November 16th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #6
Tom_Wescott
Researcher and Award Winning Author

Howard,

The vigilance committees covered a relatively small area of ground and were already in operation by the night of the double event. Do you suppose that's part of the reason the Ripper chose the areas he did for his murders? The City territory, for instance, had no vigilance committees at that time.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Tom_Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #7
Donald Souden
Researcher & Author

In an article, "Why No October Surprise?," in Ripperologist 96 (October 2008) I examined many of the reasons advanced for the October lull and suggested it was because of the activities of the vigilance committees.

Evidently it was not hard for an individual stopped on the street at night by the police to establish his bona fides (the men Halse stopped are an example), but it would be much more difficult to explain your presence to locals, some of whom may well have known you. Once, you might be able to claim walking off a drunk, a toothache that wouldn't let you sleep, or any other tale.

But, if Jack had any control over his muderous impulses, he would realize it was a losing effort with local men on patrol. Indeed, that could be a reason why his "last" victim, Kelly, was slaughtered indoors.

Don.
Donald Souden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #8
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Souden View Post
In an article, "Why No October Surprise?," in Ripperologist 96 (October 2008) I examined many of the reasons advanced for the October lull and suggested it was because of the activities of the vigilance committees.

Evidently it was not hard for an individual stopped on the street at night by the police to establish his bona fides (the men Halse stopped are an example), but it would be much more difficult to explain your presence to locals, some of whom may well have known you. Once, you might be able to claim walking off a drunk, a toothache that wouldn't let you sleep, or any other tale.

But, if Jack had any control over his muderous impulses, he would realize it was a losing effort with local men on patrol. Indeed, that could be a reason why his "last" victim, Kelly, was slaughtered indoors.

Don.
Hi Don

Don, you make a number of solid and salient points in that article. Good work.

All the best

Chris
For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #9
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO
Theorist & Speculator

Hi Tom

I'm pretty certain those knives were the two razor sharp Ghurka knives, very unlike that in the possession of Don

The two most likely suspects from whom Don's knife came IMO are Ostrog, or Grainger

Grainger's knife is described as being exactly like the one Don has and appears to have been confiscated by Sir Robert Anderson at some point

Going against that might be the mention of the knife case and the possibility there were two knives, though it doesn't completely negate the possibility
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #10
Monty
Author, Researcher, God.

The VCs numbers swelled after a murder then subsided once the furore died dow. After the double event members were at there highest.

Also the saturation of reinforcements in both the City and Met forces coupled with the house to house and leaflet campaign.

There was a concerted effort in October to flush him out.

Monty
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote