Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Critics Corner + Opinion Central

Critics Corner + Opinion Central Book and articles reviewed...Theories analyzed....You know what they say about opinions...they're like Ripperological viewpoints....everyone has one.

Old November 16th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #11
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Tom:
That's a good question...whether the combined presence of Met police and the VC in his hunting ground was a catalyst in the killer going towards that area....going westward, that is.
It might not have been specifically because the City didn't have an operating VC...maybe it was a matter of the area further west of Goulston Street ( used for the sake of a landmark ) not having one.
Obviously, Neil is correct about the number of policemen, VC's, and also private eyes being out and about in greater number after the Double Event.

Your article was a fine one, Don....glad you mentioned it.
Old November 16th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #12
Tom_Wescott
Researcher and Award Winning Author

I also wanted to point out that following the murder of Chapman, her killer waited until the inquest was over before killing again. Therefore, it's reasonable to assume he would have done the same in the case of Stride and Eddowes...to see what the police knew and were saying. But in the case of Chapman, he went out the next weekend or so, whereas he clearly did not do that with the next victims.

So what I'm suggesting is that SOME part of October could be attributed to his waiting to see what was known, but the fact that he waited beyond that point must be attributed to something else.

That he killed Mary Kelly on a day when he knew for a fact that the police would be well distracted (Lord Mayor's Day) might lend support to Don and Monty's thesis regarding police patrol. I'm less likely to attribute anything to VC patrols, because their numbers weren't that large. The Whitechapel VC was begging for money before half of October was over.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Tom_Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #13
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

I also wanted to point out that following the murder of Chapman, her killer waited until the inquest was over before killing again. Therefore, it's reasonable to assume would have done the same in the case of Stride and Eddowes...to see what the police knew and were saying.--Tom

Tom:

When you mention that the killer "waited", that suggests he intended to commence killing after the Inquest)s) were completed...unless you've worded it incorrectly.
We can't be sure that he intentionally commenced killing when the Inquests were over...only that he struck again coincidentally with their completion.
It is, however, a pretty good idea.
Old November 17th, 2012, 02:35 AM   #14
Tom_Wescott

Hi Howard. I think the timing is just too perfect for it to have been coincidental. The Dear Boss letter was likewise held by its author until after the inquest was completed (when the post script was written). I'm not suggesting the Dear Boss letter was legit, but use it to illustrate how much attention was put on the inquest findings. And no man in London would have been paying more attention than the murderer.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Old November 17th, 2012, 03:43 AM   #15
Monty
---- ---

I have to say, I agree with Tom.

Very sound reasoning.

Cheers
Monty
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2012, 08:41 AM   #16
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Tom...what about Nichols' Inquest which was still underway 14 days after Chapman's murder ?
Old November 17th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #17
Tom_Wescott

Hi Howard, my apologies if I misremembered which inquest ended first. My point is that they were over and done with days before the double event.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Old November 17th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #18
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Tom:
In short, you, and apparently Neil, believe the Ripper commenced killing as soon as the previous victims' ( Nichols & Chapman) Inquests were concluded...and he did so intentionally.

How do you determine that he did this intentionally ?
Not looking to shoot down a theory here, but I'm curious as to what signposts you saw on the road to this theory.

Thanks.
Old November 17th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #19
Tom_Wescott

Hi Howard. It's not so much a theory as an observation. The Ripper would be paying close attention to the papers, and moreso to the inquest reportage. He wanted to now what the police knew. When he found out they knew nothing, he got right back to work.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Old November 17th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #20
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Tom:

My next question would be how do we know the Ripper kept close attention to the details of the Case in the newspapers ?

We don't know all of what the police knew, as they didn't reveal all they knew contemporaneously....particularly little details ( which we would love to know, for sure ) in the press....so how would he know ?

There is nothing to definitively show that the killer could even read...read English....or was interested in the newspaper articles at all.

As a theory, what you propose isn't a bad idea...I think my reaction to your questions is a result of my development as someone who plays close to the vest and doesn't speculate that much on someone who didn't communicate with the police like some other serial killers/ one off murderers have done in the past.