Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Community's Collective Wisdom

The Community's Collective Wisdom "Scotland Yard was really no wiser on the subject than it was 15 years ago.."-F.G.Abberline,1903. The question is...are we ?

Old March 13th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #1
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Default Discussion : Did Jack The Ripper Ever Even Exist ?

......or Did The Whitechapel Murderer ever even exist ?
The inference being that there was not a serial killer at work in the East End beginning in the Fall of 1888.
No two women, therefore, being killed by the same hand.

Inspired by a remark made by Rob House on another thread in this section.
Old March 13th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #2
Lynn Cates
Researcher & Author

Default definition

Hello Howard. Good idea for a thread.

I think a serial killer requires three kills? At least, that is the definition I have been given.

Cheers.
LC
Lynn Cates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #3
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Default Two Won't Do

LC:

Yes, it does require three...and the thread was set up because of a remark Rob House made.
Old March 13th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #4
Lynn Cates
Researcher & Author

Default alike

Hello Howard. Thanks.

Very well, I suppose step one is to show two alike?

I must sound like a broken record but I cannot shake how Polly and Annie were killed in similar fashion. The clincher seems to be that both had twin cuts to the neck. I don't think much was made of this in the papers, so my best conjecture is that this was NOT attributable to a reader of papers who saw fit to emulate.

Also, one could make heavy weather out of the depth of the neck cuts and their width. Depth: the bones were notched. Width: 2 inches. (As you recall, the cuts were 1 inch and 1/2 inch apart on the two victims. Looks like someone who operates habitually in killing that way.)

So far, so good?

Cheers.
LC
Old March 13th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #5
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

You have the floor, Chairman Cates....
Old March 13th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #6
admin tim

Well, there IS only circumstantial evidence after all. Modern trial lawyers would argue that there was no such person.

Of course, according to these same trial lawyers, no one killed Nicole Simpson.
admin tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #7
Lynn Cates
Researcher & Author

Default step two

Hello Howard. Thanks.

The problems with both Liz and “MJK” are so well known that I do not feel obliged to repeat
them here.

Hence, on to Kate.

Although I enumerated the differences in my “New independent Review” essay, “Possibly the Work of an Imitator” I can briefly recap here.

1. Polly and Annie had their skirts lifted for mutilation; Kate’s clothing was cut through. (Note that, Kate, had three petticoats on, but Polly had two. In fact, if I were the knifesman, I would rather NOT cut through the extra material.

2. Polly and Annie, two distinct cuts to the neck; Kate, not.

3. Polly and Annie, knife in and DOWN; Kate knife in and down followed by in and UP.

4. Polly and Annie, facial bruising; Kate, not.

5. Polly and Annie, lacerated tongue, protruding tongue; Kate, no.

6. Polly and Annie, mutilation described as skilful; Kate’s, unskillful.

7. Polly readied for disembowelment, Annie disemboweled, no intestinal breakage; Kate, severed intestine.
(It is well here to quote from a letter by R. Hull [former butcher] dated 8 October, 1888, “The only fear of making a mess would be the breaking [of] a gut or intestine and that would not be done by one knowing his business.” From Don Rumbelow, “The Complete Jack the Ripper” p. 171.)

8. Polly and Annie clearly soliciting (by statement); Kate, just released from gaol.

Now, I recognise the standard retorts here, “Go look at other serial killers, like Kurten.”

But was there such divergence after such convergence? The difference from Annie to Kate do not impress me nearly as much as the similarities in Polly and Annie.

But if Kate is removed, then two killings, hence no serial killer.

Cheers.
LC
Old March 13th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #8
Trevor Marriott
Author & Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Cates View Post
Hello Howard. Thanks.

Very well, I suppose step one is to show two alike?

I must sound like a broken record but I cannot shake how Polly and Annie were killed in similar fashion. The clincher seems to be that both had twin cuts to the neck. I don't think much was made of this in the papers, so my best conjecture is that this was NOT attributable to a reader of papers who saw fit to emulate.

Also, one could make heavy weather out of the depth of the neck cuts and their width. Depth: the bones were notched. Width: 2 inches. (As you recall, the cuts were 1 inch and 1/2 inch apart on the two victims. Looks like someone who operates habitually in killing that way.)

So far, so good?

Cheers.
LC
My money is on someone who knew excatly how to kill using a knife in that way for example a soldier I dont go with the butcher theory which in my opinion has been used to prop up certain likely suspects.

The killer plunged the knife deep into the centre of the victims throat from behind and then forcibly drew the knife across to the point of almost decapitation as is known.

An attack of the victims from the front would cause the killer problems with the victims likely screaming and the killer trying to the render the victims helpless enough to be able to cut the throat from behind. The victims neck wounds clearly corroborate this.

The killer would not be able to cut the throat of a victim from the side whilst the victim was still alive and struggling and laying on their back.

So in order to make it easier for the killer and because it would seem that the killer had gone to these locations with the victims for sexual purposes. I would imagine that the victim thinking that sex was imminent would turn their back on the killer hitch up their skirt facing a wall or a fence leaning forward with their hands or hand on the wall or fence, thereby making it easier for the killer to approach with the knife from behind and catch the victim off guard.

So with that in mind Nicholls, Chapman, Eddowes. fit that criteria !

One shouldnt also forget that the cutting of the all of victims throat is not sinonymous to these crimes. In Victorian Times cutting a persons throat was the main accepted method of despatching people to the afterlife and had been so for almost a century before that.

Unlike today when more people die from stab wounds than throat cuts in knife related incidents.

Just my opinion but I am sure there are those who will disagree as a matter of course simply because its me, and god forbid that in the eyes of some posters that I was ever right about anyhting to do with Ripperology !

I also think it is wrong to keep comparing more modern day serial killers with this victorian serial kiiler. In 1888 there was almost no such persons as serial killers so any would be serial kiiler like Jack would be somewhat unique by forming his own individual MO and not being in a position to copy MO`s of any other serial killers. So although we can say his MO in 1888 now perahps fits the MO of more modern day serial killers, it is in fact those that have copied the MO`s of past serial killers.
Trevor Marriott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #9
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Just my opinion but I am sure there are those who will disagree as a matter of course simply because its me, and god forbid that in the eyes of some posters that I was ever right about anything to do with Ripperology !

Not so...
I agree, at this point in time, that Nichols, Chapman, and Eddowes were victims of the same hand.

I also think it is wrong to keep comparing more modern day serial killers with this victorian serial kiiler. In 1888 there was almost no such persons as serial killers so any would be serial kiiler like Jack would be somewhat unique by forming his own individual MO and not being in a position to copy MO`s of any other serial killers. So although we can say his MO in 1888 now perahps fits the MO of more modern day serial killers, it is in fact those that have copied the MO`s of past serial killers.

Trev... This seems to be a contradiction. Bear with me.

If, as you say, modern day serial killers have copied the modus operandi of past serial killers then how could it be wrong to compare modern day serial killers with the Victorian serial killer ?
Each killer, like each person, is different in his or her unique way....but, likewise, there are similarities between past and modern that are often quite similar.
What is significant & unique, in my mind, Trevor, about the Ripper...is where the victims were found (location) in 1888/1889 and how they were found murdered ( supine, legs open, genitalia exposed)....and so far, without a definable motive, that's all we have. I understand your issues with profiling, but there are elements in this art, not science, which are instructive
Old March 13th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #10
Trevor Marriott
Author & Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Brown View Post
Just my opinion but I am sure there are those who will disagree as a matter of course simply because its me, and god forbid that in the eyes of some posters that I was ever right about anything to do with Ripperology !

Not so...
I agree, at this point in time, that Nichols, Chapman, and Eddowes were victims of the same hand.

Trev... This seems to be a contradiction. Bear with me.

If, as you say, modern day serial killers have copied the modus operandi of past serial killers then how could it be wrong to compare modern day serial killers with the Victorian serial killer ?
Each killer, like each person, is different in his or her unique way....but, likewise, there are similarities between past and modern that are often quite similar.
What is significant & unique, in my mind, Trevor, about the Ripper...is where the victims were found (location) in 1888/1889 and how they were found murdered ( supine, legs open, genitalia exposed)....and so far, without a definable motive, that's all we have. I understand your issues with profiling, but there are elements in this art, not science, which are instructive
Mu apologies it is late what I was trying to say was in effect that we should not compare "Jack"s mo with that of modern day serial killers because Jacks Mo was unique to him way back in 1888 .He could not copy anyones previous MO, whereas many modern day serial killers have copied some of those killers MO who have gone before. Hope that now make sense. I know what I meant ! lol

As to the locations well they were somewhat different Nicholls in the street, Chapman back yard, Eddowes seculded quiet square. But all places where street prostitutes would have no hesitation in doing their business if it were quiet. So nothing unusual about them. The kiiler was targeting prostitutes.

I dont think the killer positioned the bodies as some suggest he simply murdered them and then lifted up the skirts to look at his work and to view the genitalia and in the case of Chapman and Eddowes continued his frenzied attack, Nicholls he may well have been disturbed,
Trevor Marriott is offline   Reply With Quote