Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Witnesses + Evidence > Matthew Packer

Old April 17th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #11
Wicker Man
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
I thought of that the moment I saw the thread title. But I'm cool as long as the rest of the free world understands that it's an established fact that Packer was lying.
We must be careful with these claims of an established fact, precious little can be factually established.
Packer changed his story from first claiming to have seen no-one suspicious to then seeing a flurry of activity in the form of Stride and her companion.

Packer was an unreliable witness, whether he was lying or just initially reluctant to get involved, will never be known.
Though I would hope no-one would form a theory based on Packer's involvement.

Quote:
I'd rather get Wick talking again about the Mitre Square witnesses, which is a subject where he's had some pretty valuable feedback in the past.
I can't seem to remember which discussion you are talking about.

Quote:
Although lately it seems as though he's auditioning for the Cartel or something.
Explain?
" observed the medical authority, "he's a good deal sharper than those who are not".
Reynolds Newspaper, 4 Nov. 1888.
Wicker Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #12
Tom_Wescott
Researcher and Award Winning Author

Hi Wick,

The stains came from fruit, just not from grapes eaten the night of her death. And there was no grape stalk there after her murder. It didn't appear until Le Grand placed it there days later. But you already know all this.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Tom_Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #13
Tom_Wescott

Hi Wick,

Quite some time back you were posting about Lawende's man and offering what I felt was pretty valuable insights. You were also providing different descriptions attributed to Lawende (or Harris), which I felt was rather eye opening since authors seem to be very selective about what they'll present. I mentioned all this on another thread and Maria likewise became intrigued. Now I don't remember where all this was posted, but we enjoyed an exchange on the matter. I MAY have saved your posts in one of my files, but haven't had the chance or time to go and look. I believe this exchange occurred on the Casebook.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. I was just kidding about the Cartel audition, although you seem to be more pro-police than you used to be. Maybe it's just me.
Old April 17th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #14
Tom_Wescott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicker Man
The serious aspect to Packer's story is whether the man he claims to have seen opposite the gateway at 12:30, standing with Stride, was the same man seen by PC Smith, also at 12:30, at the same location.
You mean in the alternate universes which Packer and Smith inhabited, whereby in one the man was holding a package and talking to a woman with clear skies overhead, and in the other the man was not holding a package, the woman was eating grapes, and the skies were pouring on them?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Old April 17th, 2013, 09:17 PM   #15
Lynn Cates
Researcher & Author

Default training

Hello Maria. Thanks.

Reductionist? Part of my training.

Cheers.
LC
Lynn Cates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #16
Lynn Cates
Researcher & Author

Default doctor, doctor

Hello Jon. Thanks.

In that case, the good doctor would be mistaken. But my rule is doctors before coppers--or anyone else.

Cheers.
LC
Old April 17th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #17
Maria Birbili
historian/musicologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicker Man View Post
And where did the fruit stains on her handkerchief come from?
Those were old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicker Man View Post
Damn, someone ate the evidence...
I could easily do that, but as it happens, just had some spaghetti, so I'm feeling magnanimous. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
I MAY have saved your posts in one of my files, but haven't had the chance or time to go and look.
That's why I'm saving everything related into a big Word file called Berner Street article. File must be over 55p. long by now, lol. The article(s) still require(s) tons of research, and I'm orienting myself towards 2014, after my Rossini book is semi-done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Cates View Post
Reductionist? Part of my training.
Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Cates View Post
But my rule is doctors before coppers--or anyone else.
Not for me. I'll trust Abberline a thousand times over Dr. Lewellyn or (gasp) Dr. Bond. Abberline knew Whitechapel real well. Victorian doctors were often conceited and plausibly not at 100% reliable. I'd trust Swanson more than a doctor too.
Old April 17th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #18
Lynn Cates
Researcher & Author

Default the master

Hello Maria. Thanks.

"I'll trust Abberline a thousand times over Dr. Lewellyn or (gasp) Dr. Bond."

Well, if you want to put it that way, so do I. But these lads saw one cadaver apiece. I'm thinking about good old Bagster Phillips.

Cheers.
LC
Old April 18th, 2013, 12:02 AM   #19
Tom_Wescott

I like Phillips too, Lynn. He wasn't perfect and could make mistakes, but he wasn't for sale like Bond nor completely inept like Llewellyn. A stand up guy.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Old April 18th, 2013, 06:31 AM   #20
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Tom:
With all due respect to your previous post...I'd like to mention that Bond was of the opinion that Mackenzie was a Ripper victim, while Sir Robert Anderson...not around at the time of the July 1889 murder...felt otherwise.
I take it that you refer to Anderson & Bond's relationship when you stated that Bond was for sale.
Sorry for the diversion...back to the thread.