Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Victims > Elizabeth Stride

Old May 27th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #1
Wicker Man
Researcher

Default Stride, her body position.

I opened this thread for discussions on the position of Stride's body as found. Anyone interested in submitting photo's, sketches, video's, or just opinions please post what you have or what you think.

To start the thread off, rather than draw the body in full, I thought maybe I would take a different approach and draw the hands, arms, legs, position of head, etc., so we can discuss each feature then put the whole package together.

This is how I see Stride's left arm, the forearm is under her torso, but from the elbow to hand is perpendicular to the body.
Between her thumb and index finger (forefinger) are the package of cachous, not shown here.

Any thoughts?
" observed the medical authority, "he's a good deal sharper than those who are not".
Reynolds Newspaper, 4 Nov. 1888.
Wicker Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #2
Lynn Cates
Researcher & Author

Default cachous

Hello Jon. Thanks. Lovely work.

I wonder if her body should be entirely on left side? Else, this is pretty well my vision.

And now, if anyone can explain the cachous other than I have explained them?

Cheers.
LC
Lynn Cates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2013, 11:18 PM   #3
Wicker Man
Researcher

Hi Lynn.

Entirely on left side?
Do you mean her right shoulder directly above her left shoulder?
" observed the medical authority, "he's a good deal sharper than those who are not".
Reynolds Newspaper, 4 Nov. 1888.
Wicker Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 04:13 AM   #4
Christer Holmgren
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicker Man View Post
Hi Lynn.

Entirely on left side?
Do you mean her right shoulder directly above her left shoulder?
That, at least, is how I see things. Her face was turned towards the wall, her feet almost touched it, the legs were drawn up dramatically, as if in pain - to me, that paints a very clear picture of a woman entirely on her left side. And that was where the mud ended up too, mind you!

I wrote a piece some years back on Strides position for Casebook, which clarifies my reasoning. It can be found at http://www.casebook.org/dissertation...isherman2.html

All the best,
Christer
Christer Holmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 04:29 AM   #5
Jeff Leahy
TV Producer/Director

Hi Jon

I'm not convinced. f the body were on its left side like this with the arm under it I thingk the body would roll onto its back..

So i would have the arm up and bent with the head resting slightly on the shoulder

Many thanks for sketch

Yours Jeff
Jeff Leahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 05:05 AM   #6
Christer Holmgren
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Leahy View Post
Hi Jon

I'm not convinced. f the body were on its left side like this with the arm under it I thingk the body would roll onto its back..

So i would have the arm up and bent with the head resting slightly on the shoulder

Many thanks for sketch

Yours Jeff
The body would not roll onto itīs back, provided that the right shoulder was directly over the left one or perhaps even slightly closer to the wall. And the body DID rest on the upper left arm - itīs in the reports. This is one of the points that speak for a body entirely on itīs left side.

If the body was positioned the way Jon suggest, however, I think you may be correct. In such a case, the body would be more inclined to roll onto the back, although it would perhaps to some degree be dependent on how the legs were positioned and to what degree they served as counterweight.

All the best,
Christer
Old May 28th, 2013, 05:32 AM   #7
Christer Holmgren
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Simons View Post
Christer and Jeff

She`s a dead weight so she won`t move.
Thatīs correct - but what Jeff proposed was that she would not have ended up with her body leaning backwards and STILL resting on her upper left arm in the first place since that would not be a position where she could turn into a dead, immobile weight. Try it and see!

All the best,
Christer
Old May 28th, 2013, 06:44 AM   #8
Christer Holmgren
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Simons View Post
I see what you mean, but I just tried it and the body has to be leaning back slightly as that is the only way she could have pinged those cachous all over the yard.
???

Christer
Old May 28th, 2013, 07:24 AM   #9
Lynn Cates
Researcher & Author

Default perspective

Hello Jon. Thanks.

Yes, something like that.

Of course, in your fine sketch, one may say the variation is merely perspectival.

Good work.

Cheers.
LC
Old May 28th, 2013, 07:25 AM   #10
Lynn Cates
Researcher & Author

Default right

Hello Christer. I was hoping you'd pop round for a discussion.

Hard to disagree.

Cheers.
LC