Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Victims > Elizabeth Stride

Old October 2nd, 2013, 08:58 AM   #11
Lynn Cates
Researcher & Author

Default conclusions

Hello Adam. At the risk of highjacking my own thread, you stated:

"So you prefer the violent drunk as the murderer - the one who will openly attack a woman on the street? That's not how Jack worked, Cris. Take a look at any of the other murders, witnesses repeatedly describe a calm, amiable conversation going on between the soon-to-be victim and her man. The Stride scene was clearly not that."

I completely agree. But can there be another conclusion?

A colleague of mine once got into a grade dispute with a student. Her argument was:

1. I am an A student.

2. A students do A level work.

3. You gave me a C.

Therefore, this C is a mistake.

His retort:

1. A students do A level work.

2. I gave you a C.

3. This C is no mistake.

Therefore, you are NOT an A student.

Mutatis mutandis, I think you can see what I am on about.

Cheers.
LC
Lynn Cates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 10:59 AM   #12
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO
Theorist & Speculator

I'd like to suggest a hitherto unknown assailant who was behind Stride within the Yard just prior to her being attacked

Without any other interaction he reaches over her left shoulder with his left hand, grabs the scarf and pulls it tight to the left, brings the knife in his right hand over her right shoulder to her throat as he twists her to the left and onto the ground, then draws the knife toward himself cutting her throat

I assume he then exited the yard via Berner St
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 12:58 PM   #13
Lynn Cates
Researcher & Author

Default rerun

Hello Paul. Thanks.

That is close to what I have already done.

Cheers.
LC
Old October 2nd, 2013, 01:22 PM   #14
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO
Theorist & Speculator

There might be good reason for that Lynn - lol

For the 180 degree turnaround...

We might consider BS man was heading into the club, maybe planning on fetching other people to help him see the prostitute off the premises, she being nonchalant about it and remaining facing the street

When he is behind her, almost at the door, she makes an insulting remark over her shoulder with the full intention of him hearing it

In a moment of rage he returns to her and carries out the killing as per the suggestion for a man lurking in the yard
Old October 2nd, 2013, 03:41 PM   #15
Cris Malone
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Cates View Post
Hello Adam. At the risk of highjacking my own thread, you stated:

"So you prefer the violent drunk as the murderer - the one who will openly attack a woman on the street? That's not how Jack worked, Cris. Take a look at any of the other murders, witnesses repeatedly describe a calm, amiable conversation going on between the soon-to-be victim and her man. The Stride scene was clearly not that."

I completely agree. But can there be another conclusion?

A colleague of mine once got into a grade dispute with a student. Her argument was:

1. I am an A student.

2. A students do A level work.

3. You gave me a C.

Therefore, this C is a mistake.

His retort:

1. A students do A level work.

2. I gave you a C.

3. This C is no mistake.

Therefore, you are NOT an A student.

Mutatis mutandis, I think you can see what I am on about.

Cheers.
LC
I was going to let it slide as it was off topic, but since you responded Lynn, I'll just say I agree with your example there of perception.
"Objectivity comes from how the evidence is treated, not the nature of the evidence itself. Historians can be just as objective as any scientist."
Cris Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 05:12 PM   #16
Stephen Thomas
Non Compos Mentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris Malone View Post
I was going to let it slide as it was off topic, but since you responded Lynn, I'll just say I agree with your example there of perception.
Alice: The question is.........

Caterpillar: The question is who is to be the master?
Old October 2nd, 2013, 05:50 PM   #17
Lynn Cates
Researcher & Author

Default sensible

Hello Paul. Thanks. Eminently sensible.

Cheers.
LC
Old October 2nd, 2013, 05:51 PM   #18
Lynn Cates
Researcher & Author

Default other side of the coin

Hello Cris. Thanks.

Ah, the other side of the coin.

Cheers.
LC
Old October 2nd, 2013, 06:55 PM   #19
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO
Theorist & Speculator

Thanks Lynn

She would also nonchalantly be munching on the cachous

Experiments with a frontal, perhaps left-handed attack, might be productive, in that I think you'll find it unlikely
Old October 3rd, 2013, 09:04 PM   #20
Adam Went
Researcher

Hi all,

Lynn:

I'm surprised that there's still so much discussion about the Pipeman theory, i've been banging on about it for years. Even wrote about it in that "A Matter of Time" article which Tom Wescott loves so dearly.

My theory is that Pipeman was watching the assault on the other side of the street happen, with interest. He saw an opportunity, but first he must get Schwartz off the scene. Schwartz, clearly already frightened by what was happening, provided little resistance once Pipeman took a few steps in his direction.

Once he could see he was gone and wouldn't be coming back, and BS man had toddled off his own way, he goes over to Liz who was clearly waiting for something or someone outside the IWMEC.

Then, under the pretext of offering comfort - "oh i'm so sorry, I just saw what happened, are you alright?" - he lures her into the passageway.

I have no theory in regards to how her body came to be in the position that it did, and I don't believe that a smart and economical man would have left the cachous behind even if they were his (being that they were in Stride's hand, I imagine they were hers anyway) - so feel free to do with that portion of the scenario what you like.

I understand what you're saying about the theory but at the same time we must use what little pieces of information we have - and the information from all the other canonical murders tells a very different story to that of the Stride murder. Unless, of course, the killer was not BS man.

Jon:

Possible, but if the killer was indeed BS man then we are expected to believe that less than an hour later, he murdered Catherine Eddowes in the manner that he did whilst intoxicated. I would consider that to be almost impossible, and Joseph Lawende made no mention of a man who appeared to be under the influence. People don't just recover from a bender in less than an hour - if only, Jon!

Nemo:

That's also a possibility, but - and don't quote me on this - many times in the past when i've suggested the use of the scarf Stride was wearing, I have been informed that the scarf was only a light, weak one - not one that would have the ability to strangle or be used as a manouvering device.

Cheers,
Adam.
Adam Went is offline   Reply With Quote