Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Victims > The Pinchin Street Torso

Old November 7th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #1
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Default Medical Student Prank

Its not often you read about the Pinchin Street Torso as being a medical student prank...in American papers.

Fresno Morning Republican
September 13, 1889

Old November 7th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #2
Tom_Wescott
Researcher and Award Winning Author

Maybe not in American papers, but in UK ones you do. Any time a body part was found or received anywhere in the western world it was usually regarded as a medical student prank. Look at the Lusk kidney, for instance.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Tom_Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #3
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

That's true Tom....
It's the exception to the rule which proves the rule...and most American papers didn't approach the torso ( Pinchin Street ) as if it were a prank...but the act of a maniac or, on occasion, the Ripper.
Old November 7th, 2013, 09:38 PM   #4
Chris G.

The medical student prank remark is very much like the aspersions cast at Tom Bulling for writing "Dear Boss." Easy to accuse but where's the proof? In fact those sort of claims are a product of lazy thinking rather than informed thinking, which is another reason why we should not believe everything the police or public of the time said or believed.

Chris
For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2013, 03:13 AM   #5
SPE

Default Own Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G. View Post
The medical student prank remark is very much like the aspersions cast at Tom Bulling for writing "Dear Boss." Easy to accuse but where's the proof? In fact those sort of claims are a product of lazy thinking rather than informed thinking, which is another reason why we should not believe everything the police or public of the time said or believed.
Chris
A rather all-encompassing statement, we might as well all give up or just theorise ourselves into oblivion. You simply do not know that such contemporary police opinions are 'a product of lazy thinking rather than informed thinking'. You are insulting such highly regarded officers as McWilliam and Littlechild. You sound like someone with his own pet theories who will not allow serious, informed, contemporary, opinion intrude on his own ideas.
SPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #6
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPE View Post
A rather all-encompassing statement, we might as well all give up or just theorise ourselves into oblivion. You simply do not know that such contemporary police opinions are 'a product of lazy thinking rather than informed thinking'. You are insulting such highly regarded officers as McWilliam and Littlechild. You sound like someone with his own pet theories who will not allow serious, informed, contemporary, opinion intrude on his own ideas.
Hi SPE

Except that I don't have any particular theory about the case which you probably would recognize from knowing me down the years.

Best regards

Chris
Old November 8th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #7
SPE

Default No...

Quote:
Hi SPE
Except that I don't have any particular theory about the case which you probably would recognize from knowing me down the years.
Best regards
Chris
No, but you have posted theories on the authorship of the letters at length, including the 'Lusk letter' and kidney incident.
Old November 8th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #8
Chris G.

Hi Stewart

Yes fair enough. I thought that D'Onston might have been a candidate for having written the Lusk letter based on similarities between his October 16, 1888 letter to the City of London Police, around the same time as the Lusk letter was written and his general inserting himself into the case. I don't though think he was the Ripper, more a busybody who craved attention. What I mean is I don't have a single suspect for the Ripper.

Best regards

Chris
Old November 8th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #9
SPE

Default Well Aware

Quote:
Hi Stewart
Yes fair enough. I thought that D'Onston might have been a candidate for having written the Lusk letter based on similarities between his October 16, 1888 letter to the City of London Police, around the same time as the Lusk letter was written and his general inserting himself into the case. I don't though think he was the Ripper, more a busybody who craved attention. What I mean is I don't have a single suspect for the Ripper.
Best regards
Chris
I am well aware that you 'don't have a single suspect for the Ripper'. My post had nothing to do with suspects but everything to do with personal theories which, obviously, you have (just like most other people).
Old May 7th, 2014, 05:15 PM   #10
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Tacoma Daily News
September 12, 1889