Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Community's Collective Wisdom

The Community's Collective Wisdom "Scotland Yard was really no wiser on the subject than it was 15 years ago.."-F.G.Abberline,1903. The question is...are we ?

Old October 3rd, 2014, 04:21 PM   #11
Monty
---- ---

Ěnsp*George Izzard left the City Police in January 1890, attached is the Police Order clarifying it.

Also attached is a news clipping showing a retired Izzard playing to the City Police cricket team.

Monty
: )__________________
I swear that
Attached Images

Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 07:18 PM   #12
Alan Baird

Default great research

Hello Monty,
That's great research and it means Inspector George Izzard was responsible for the William Bull case but I am not sure who attended and took charge of the scene at Mitre Square after the murder.....George or James Alfred Izzard. Imagine 2 City Inspectors, serving at the same time, with the same surname and I don't consider 'Izzard' to be common type of name.
I've just had a thought...checking notes...I believe George Izzard was born in 1841, in Welwyn Hertfordshire and James Alfred Izzard was born in 1854 and also in Welwyn Hertfordshire. There must be a good chance they were related to one another.......if I have the right men and their details. I will maybe try and work this out tomorrow.

again many thanks,
Alan.
Alan Baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 08:02 PM   #13
Monty
---- ---

To be honest Alan,

I've never heard of James, however as you suggest, I feel a family connection also, brothers? Twins?, mostly likely cousins.

Izzard also briefed McWilliam (City CID head) at Old Jewry, before he went to Mitre sq, according to McWilliams report. I always thought it odd that Izzard went from Bishopsgate nick, to Old Jewry, then to Mitre Square to manage the crowd. Why not brief at the Soc? That would be more efficient. However, if there were 2 Izzards, one George at Bishopsgate, James at Old Jewry, then I may have an answer to my niggle.

I'm intrigued, I shall also have a gander tomorrow. Please keep me updated.

Cheers
Neil
Old October 3rd, 2014, 09:22 PM   #14
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Alan, Monty, here is James's marriage in 1875. Does the address look like 402 Wandsworth Rd or 482? It looks more like an 8 than a zero to me. The thing is, 482 Wandsworth Rd was George Izzard's address in 1881. I agree, I don't think he was a brother but very likely a cousin. James stayed with George for a while in the mid 70s.

Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 01:35 AM   #15
Curryong

I lovr how, under Rank or Profession, the Registrar has very boldly written Police and then a hesitation --er 'officer', 'constable'? Oh, well, 'man' will do!
Curryong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 06:30 AM   #16
Monty
---- ---

Hey Alan,

Yep, James was at Seething Lane station, and George at Bishopsgate.

If the 91 census stands for 88, then I suspect it was George at Mitre Square, as Bishopsgate was closer.

Cheers
Monty
Attached Images

Old October 4th, 2014, 07:20 AM   #17
Monty
---- ---

Default Also

....it seems George became a Postmaster prior to his death.

Monty
Attached Images

Old October 4th, 2014, 07:57 AM   #18
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Yes indeed Monty and at his funeral, as a mark of respect, the coffin was delivered to the wrong cemetery.
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 03:29 PM   #19
Alan Baird

Default Izzard family

Hello,
I have to be honest and say I would never have spotted the connection between the marriage certificate of James Alfred Izzard and the England Census record of 1881 for George Izzard. I am of the opinion that this proves there was a family connection between these 2 men. In none of the other census records, do you see George taking in any type of lodger...only family members.
Unfortunately and I did check.....there are no personal records surviving for these 2 officers which is a pity, as I am sure they would have been very interesting.
George Izzard must have been a very likeable and social person because he is the licensee for the George & Dragon, in the High Street of Codicate, in 1891, after retiring from the police. Then later, as already has been said, becomes the sub-postmaster and employs 3 other family member help him with the post office.

thanks again,
Alan.
Alan Baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 05:21 PM   #20
Monty
---- ---

Thank you too Alan,

For the info, great stuff.

I agree, the Welwyn connection, along with the unusual name, points to a family connection between George and James.

Monty