Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Community's Collective Wisdom

The Community's Collective Wisdom "Scotland Yard was really no wiser on the subject than it was 15 years ago.."-F.G.Abberline,1903. The question is...are we ?

Old April 17th, 2015, 06:34 PM   #1
Alan Baird

Default PC Thane/Thain or Thame?

I was hoping somebody could help me with a question :-

On the 31st of August 1888, regarding the murder of Mary Ann Nichols, at Buck's Row, PC Neil was assisted in taking her body to the Whitechapel Road mortuary by Sergeant Kirby and PC Thane...........PC Thane and I've seen it spelt Thain, are both unusual names and at a quick glance I cannot see anybody that fits.

There is a PC James Thame, joined in 2/12/1861 - 28/3/1889, warrant number 41106 and was serving in 'B' division during the murders. [Served in 'V' division from approx. 1861-1870 and 1870-1889 in 'B' division]. 'B' division is quite close to 'H' division. Thame is also quite an unusual name with very few entries so have I got it all wrong or is this the Police Constable that helped take Nichols body to the mortuary.

many thanks
Alan...............
Alan Baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 06:55 PM   #2
Monty
---- ---

PC 96J John Thain, along with his colleague PC 97J, transferred from K Division Bow to J Division Bethnal Green in August 1886, upon the formation of that division, when the station moved into the hands of J from K.

He eventually ended up as caretaker at the Umbro Synagogue in Adler Street, now Union Street.

Monty
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 07:04 PM   #3
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Hi Monty

I think that's the Hambro Synagogue.
Robert Linford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 07:14 PM   #4
Monty
---- ---

Sorry,

Yes, Hambro. Spellcheck on my phone kicked in there.

Monty
Old April 17th, 2015, 08:09 PM   #5
Alan Baird

Default my mistake

Thanks for the information, I should have input PC Thain, in the first place and I would have found all the articles on him but I wanted it to be PC Thame......my mistake but thank you very much for your help.

bye Alan.
Old April 18th, 2015, 06:09 AM   #6
Monty
---- ---

Default Hmmm

You may need to disregard my post Alan, then again.

Attached is an extract from the Police Orders dated 28th July 1886, along with the 1901 census.

It seems they have put his name down as Thaim, however I suspect this is a typo, as the 81, 91 and 01 censuses, along with the 89 and 90 Electoral Register, all have him down as Thain.

Cheers
Monty
Attached Images

Old April 18th, 2015, 06:22 AM   #7
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

On another Thain family, there is in 1887 a James William Thain actually entered in the birth registers as 'Thaim,' but he was a Thain.
Robert Linford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 07:58 AM   #8
Chris G.

Interior of the Hambro Synagogue in Adler Street, now Union Street, where PC 96J John Thain was caretaker in his later years.

"The Hambro was one of the first three Ashkenazi synagogues founded in London following the readmission of the Jews in 1656, serving a growing community of central and eastern European Jews. It was one of the founding synagogues of the United Synagogue, which is still the largest British Jewish religious movement."

Photograph and information from The Jewish Museum London http://www.jewishmuseum.org.uk/

"The synagogue was pulled down in 1893 to make room for city improvements, and its place in the United Synagogue of London was taken by a new synagogue erected in Union street, Commercial Road." http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/ar...mbro-synagogue
For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 02:03 PM   #9
Alan Baird

Default Thanks

The picture of Hambro is great and it made me think that the unusual name of ''Thain'' might be Jewish but it turns out to be either of English or Scottish in origin. The English Surname means noble retainer or attendant [Anglo-Saxon] which is kind of appropriate if your the caretaker. Obviously, there are lots of spelling mistakes in the records we consult which can be quite confusing or at least, that my excuse for getting this one so wrong. For example, in the Old Bailey Trial records of the 13th of September 1886, George Sanders and Thomas Holmes were arrested for burglary by PC John Thame [Policeman J96] which should have read PC John Thain [J96].

thanks for the info.
Alan.
Old April 18th, 2015, 07:07 PM   #10
Phillip Walton
Researcher

It was common practice for religious Jews and even Jewish institutions such as synagogues to employ non Jews to perform duties that were forbidden to Jews on the Sabbath, even such things as unlocking doors and attending to lighting.
Phillip Walton is offline   Reply With Quote