Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Community's Collective Wisdom

The Community's Collective Wisdom "Scotland Yard was really no wiser on the subject than it was 15 years ago.."-F.G.Abberline,1903. The question is...are we ?

Old June 24th, 2015, 02:51 PM   #1
Alan Baird

Default PC Keating [H] enquiring agent

Hello everybody,
I was hoping I might be able to find out more about the following story :-

PC William Valentine Keating was born in Dublin, in Ireland.
He joined the Metropolitan Police on the 4th of June in 1883 and was assigned to 'P' division and given the warrant number of 68138. Later he transferred to 'H' or Whitechapel Division and received the Queen Victoria Metropolitan Police Jubilee Medal for 1887 whilst in 'H' division. PC William V Keating resigned from the Met. and 'H' division on the 3rd of April in 1890. Actually he had to resign or he would have been sacked.

The Police Order dated 3/4/1890 states ''PC 404 - 68138 Keating : Improperly left his beat and going to the station without permission : insubordinate conduct in not returning to his beat when directed, subsequently found coming from his lodgings and refusing to answer the report : also considered unfit for the Police Force. Pay to stop 30th.''
[His details are also listed in the 'Whitechapel Personnel Casebook Entry.']

In the England Census of 1891, we find that William Valentine Keating is now employed as an ''Enquiring Agent'' like Mr Whitcher from the T.V. series.
Probably married in 1886 or 1887 and his wife was Lottie Keating which might be short for Charlotte born in 1862/Norwich, Norfolk and they have two children Alice May Keating 1887/Whitechapel and William V Keating 1889/Whitechapel.
In the England Census of 1901, we find a George V Keating from Ireland, born 1856 and I suspect this is really William. He is now a widower and is ''living on his own means'' and that's as far as my research goes. I really want to try and find out more and it might throw light on why he lost it whilst patrolling his beat and why was it so important for him to go home ie was his wife ill/die shortly after 1890, was his children taken in by a family member and what did enquiring agents do in those days. I know not all of them were respectable ie ''Le Grand of the Strand.''
thank.
Alan.
Alan Baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 02:57 PM   #2
Alan Baird

Default PC Keating DOB

I meant to, also add, his year of birth was 1856/Dublin/Ireland.
Alan.
Old June 24th, 2015, 07:26 PM   #3
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Hi Alan

Odd that he should behave so, for he joined the army in 1876 and rose to Lance-Cpl. He was transferred into the reserves early 1883, so he seems to have joined the police almost immediately. He was finally discharged from the army in 1888.

He married Charlotte Clarke in London in 1880.

I don't know what ultimately happened to him.
Robert Linford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 07:50 AM   #4
Alan Baird

Default Off the beat in Whitechapel

Hello Robert,
The information on is army career makes it even more difficult to understand his actions that night when he, 'lost the plot,' on his beat duty. I would suspect it had something to do with his wife/family and that pride may have prevented him from explaining why he had found it necessary to walk off his beat duties and also to go home to his lodgings. By not explaining his situation, he must have been fully aware it meant an end to his career.
If the entry in the England Census of 1901 is correct ie it should read William and not George V Keating.....then he managed to go from an ''enquiring agent'' in 1891, to basically a man of some means by 1901 and with the father and son having a middle name like 'Valentine' .....it is strange or disappointing that they seem to disappear.
thanks
Alan
Old June 25th, 2015, 08:57 AM   #5
String
innocent bystander & former captionmeister

He could have been drunk, drink problem?
String is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 09:11 AM   #6
Robert Linford

Yes Alan it's disappointing. I'll let you know if I find anything.
Old June 25th, 2015, 09:42 AM   #7
Alan Baird

Default family or drink problem

Hello,
........ you are right it could have been a drink problem but there are two reasons why I don't think that was the problem......one is that he reported to the Police Station before proceeding to his lodgings and I believe if he was drunk or under the influence of drink ...they would never have allowed him to return to his beat and he would have been charged with being drunk on duty and punished accordingly. The second reason is that he had already served in the Army and Police for approximately 15 year so he was use to the strict discipline and that type of life and if he had a problem with drink, I think, it would have probably shown up earlier but you are right, drink would have probably been the number one cause of trouble for the Police at that time. Tks.

Robert...your info on his Army service and finding the marriage record, has already been a huge leap forward for me. tks
Old June 25th, 2015, 10:01 AM   #8
Alan Baird

Default another example of dismissal

Hello,
On the same Police Order, dated the 3rd of April in 1890, as the entry for PC Keating's dismissal, there is another example which I thought people might find interesting so you can compare the two examples.

''PC 295 - 75121 Ramm [can't read the PC's name properly] Gross neglect of duty in not pursuing a man who had violently assaulted a lady and telling deliberate falsehoods in connection therewith : also considered unfit for the Police Force.''

To me this sounds much worse than William Keating behaviour.

Alan.
Old June 25th, 2015, 11:10 AM   #9
Robert Linford

This might be Charlotte and kids :

Departing from Liverpool 17th June 1893 on the Lake Ontario, bound for Quebec, we have Charlotte Keating, age 33, wife; Alice Keating, age 6; William Keating aged 3. All the family are destined for Chicago.

Charlotte's age is a couple of years out.
Old June 25th, 2015, 02:03 PM   #10
Alan Baird

Default great research

Hi Robert,
That is fantastic and it would explain why there appears to be no records, of any of the 3 of them, after the England Census of 1891 which always seemed a bit strange. The names and ages are all good [checked against the 1891 census] and so the probabilities of these being our family..... seems high.
I think it would be unusual for a man to send his family to America first and then follow on at a later date and so it might be that they had separated.
I would have thought a man would be more likely go to America and get everything really for his family arrival.
The George V Keating in the England Census of 1901, I still feel is probably William, just the usual coping mistake putting George instead of William but if I am wrong, then it would most likely be a close relative. If his wife had gone to America approximately 8 years before....then you can imagine him classing himself as widowed. I would be interested in what you think of the theory so far.
thanks
Alan.