Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Community's Collective Wisdom

The Community's Collective Wisdom "Scotland Yard was really no wiser on the subject than it was 15 years ago.."-F.G.Abberline,1903. The question is...are we ?

Old August 18th, 2015, 03:04 PM   #11
David Jackson

After careful consideration ... I have absolutely no clue still!

I think this is one of those aspects that will remain up in the air.

I just listened to a podcast with Martin Fido on the Casebook site and his theory about it being close to an area of somewhat unscrupulous Jewish shoe makers and tailors and the grafitti being a complaint about that made sense to me. That, mixed with a difficulty actually making the message make sense in the context of the murders nearly leads me to conclude it wasn't the ripper.

Also, thinking now, it seems unlikely that he would write a message once, in the middle of the killings, and not again.

However, the proximity to the apron and how seriously the police took it is pause for thought and shouldn't be swept aside too easily.

Basically, i'm around 75% it wasn't the Ripper, but wouldn't be shocked if it was him either!
David Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2015, 03:35 PM   #12
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jackson View Post
After careful consideration ... I have absolutely no clue still!

I think this is one of those aspects that will remain up in the air.

I just listened to a podcast with Martin Fido on the Casebook site and his theory about it being close to an area of somewhat unscrupulous Jewish shoe makers and tailors and the grafitti being a complaint about that made sense to me. That, mixed with a difficulty actually making the message make sense in the context of the murders nearly leads me to conclude it wasn't the ripper.

Also, thinking now, it seems unlikely that he would write a message once, in the middle of the killings, and not again.

However, the proximity to the apron and how seriously the police took it is pause for thought and shouldn't be swept aside too easily.

Basically, i'm around 75% it wasn't the Ripper, but wouldn't be shocked if it was him either!
Hi David

Remember that at virtually the same time that the Graffito was discovered, the police initially believed that the Jack the Ripper letters were from the killer, although this was later denied by several senior policemen, including Anderson and Macnaghten, albeit that the latter didn't join Scotland Yard until the summer of 1889.

Best regards

Chris
For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2015, 04:41 PM   #13
Monty
---- ---

Hey Chris,

How do you figure that out old chap?

Monty
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2015, 08:59 PM   #14
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Hey Chris,

How do you figure that out old chap?

Monty
Hello Monty

How do you not figure it out? Graffito written by the killer, letters written by the killer. Right or wrong that was the initial impression of the police and the establishment, in my view, perhaps helped on by newspaper reporting. Do you question that was what happened?

Best regards

Chris
Old August 19th, 2015, 06:21 AM   #15
Trevor Marriott
Author & Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G. View Post
Hello Monty

How do you not figure it out? Graffito written by the killer, letters written by the killer. Right or wrong that was the initial impression of the police and the establishment, in my view, perhaps helped on by newspaper reporting. Do you question that was what happened?

Best regards

Chris
Hi Chris
I don't think the police ever suspected that the killer wrote the graffiti. Furthermore I don't think there is much written from back then to suggest they even suspected the killer of dropping the apron piece !

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Trevor Marriott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 02:23 PM   #16
Cris Malone
Historian

Why was there such a fuss about photographing the darn thing?
"Objectivity comes from how the evidence is treated, not the nature of the evidence itself. Historians can be just as objective as any scientist."
Cris Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 02:47 PM   #17
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
Hi Chris
I don't think the police ever suspected that the killer wrote the graffiti. Furthermore I don't think there is much written from back then to suggest they even suspected the killer of dropping the apron piece !

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Yes then why did two of the policemen -- Constable Long and Detective Halse -- make a note of the wording before the inscription was erased? And why was the inscription discussed at some length at the Eddowes inquest if there wasn't the idea that the killer wrote it and that it was some type of "clew"? See here for the inquest testimony.

Chris
Old August 19th, 2015, 02:54 PM   #18
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Cris, I think the police felt that if the general public saw the message, there would be an outbreak of anti-Jewish hysteria. So instead the police became hysterical and erased it before it could be photographed.
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 03:04 PM   #19
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Linford View Post
Cris, I think the police felt that if the general public saw the message, there would be an outbreak of anti-Jewish hysteria. So instead the police became hysterical and erased it before it could be photographed.
Exactly right but Detective Halse of the City Police appears to have thought the message was written by the killer and that's why he wanted it photographed.

Witness [Detective Halse]: . . . I proceeded to Goulston-street, where I saw some chalk-writing on the black facia of the wall. Instructions were given to have the writing photographed, but before it could be done the Metropolitan police stated that they thought the writing might cause a riot or outbreak against the Jews, and it was decided to have it rubbed out, as the people were already bringing out their stalls into the street. . . . The fear on the part of the Metropolitan police that the writing might cause riot was the sole reason why it was rubbed out. I took a copy of it, and what I wrote down was as follows: "The Juwes are not the men who will be blamed for nothing." . . . The Metropolitan police said it might create a riot, and it was their ground. . . . I asked that it might, at all events, be allowed to remain until Major Smith had seen it.

Clearly if Halse had thought the inscription was a bit of irrelevant graffiti he wouldn't have wanted it photographed or have made a note of it in his notebook -- as also did Constable Long write down the words in his notebook.

Best regards

Chris
Old August 19th, 2015, 04:31 PM   #20
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Trevor Marriott

No offense, Trev....but many newspapers, in fact, nearly all, that discussed the apron piece brought up the apron piece being disposed of there by the killer, or dropped there. A quick glance through the papers from early October will clear this up.

Of course police suspected the killer of having written the graffiti. Robert Anderson made a point of stressing how an important clue had been destroyed ( by Warren).