Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Community's Collective Wisdom

The Community's Collective Wisdom "Scotland Yard was really no wiser on the subject than it was 15 years ago.."-F.G.Abberline,1903. The question is...are we ?

Old August 19th, 2015, 05:44 PM   #21
David Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Linford View Post
Cris, I think the police felt that if the general public saw the message, there would be an outbreak of anti-Jewish hysteria. So instead the police became hysterical and erased it before it could be photographed.
I can say it's frustrating, at least for me, because we would be able to see just how prevelent the graffiti was in the area. If it was completely on it's own, it would look more suspicious that if there was quite a bit of graffiti on the wall around it.
David Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 05:54 PM   #22
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Yes David. I can only guess that it was more or less on its own, for it to have been noticed.
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 06:53 PM   #23
Sam Flynn
Owl Catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Linford View Post
Yes David. I can only guess that it was more or less on its own, for it to have been noticed.
On its own in that entrance-way, perhaps... I can't help wondering what was written on the walls elsewhere in the vicinity.

"Suche Nullen"
(F. Nietzsche)

Sam Flynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 08:13 PM   #24
Trevor Marriott
Author & Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Brown View Post
I don't think the police ever suspected that the killer wrote the graffiti. Furthermore I don't think there is much written from back then to suggest they even suspected the killer of dropping the apron piece !

Trevor Marriott

No offense, Trev....but many newspapers, in fact, nearly all, that discussed the apron piece brought up the apron piece being disposed of there by the killer, or dropped there. A quick glance through the papers from early October will clear this up.

Of course police suspected the killer of having written the graffiti. Robert Anderson made a point of stressing how an important clue had been destroyed ( by Warren).
How
Now there is a big difference between being dropped and disposed of. You refer to the newspapers I refer to the police themselves making no comments on these issues

The newspaper articles are the views of the reporters not the police.

As to Anderson you could hardly call that comment suggestive of the killer writing it. "A clue" to what?

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Trevor Marriott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 08:38 PM   #25
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Trev:
The Met police, as we know, had been reticent in providing the press with their views for around a month by the time of the Double Event. Their opinions, their individual opinions, wouldn't have been that easy to extricate...particularly Inspectors and other officers of higher rank.

Anderson's remarks weren't published in a newspaper...and one reason is the clampdown mentioned above. They were made years later...I'm trying to recall where at the moment ( I don't think its in TLSOMOL ).

Dropped is just that...dropped, which is what the killer did with the apron.
I added disposed because the murderer more than likely (IMHO ) wiped his hands or blade with it and after using it, disposed of it. Little different, but close enough.

I mentioned the volume of articles in which the newspapers mentioned the apron piece....not the police. I misunderstood you.

We know Halse for certain felt it was legitimate, otherwise why make the noise over it as he did ?

Anderson probably felt it would be beneficial to have a photographed copy of the graffiti to either compare it to something previously written....and, less likely I think, to compare it anything else that might show up later on.

On the basis of these two officers in different police forces, I'd say it was a sizeable number of police who felt it may have been written by the killer. We can't know now, of course,for certain how many.

You were a policeman. What would you think if you found the apron piece under ( or to satisfy the naysayers) or near the graffiti, which was fresh ( according to Halse ) right after an atrocious murder in a case with so few clues ?
Now, if your Captain or Head Inspector said to your squad "No liasing with the press. That's an order.".......we'd never read about what you or your comrades thought about the graffiti, would we ?
Old August 19th, 2015, 08:45 PM   #26
Monty
---- ---

Anderson stated a personal belief How,

That was not the official line.

Halse was conducting detective work. He saw a clue. A clue can lead to or away from a suspect or theory, it doesn't mean he felt it was left by the killer, he felt that it may have been.

Subtle differences mean a lot in this aspect.

Monty
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 08:47 PM   #27
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Halse was conducting detective work. He saw a clue. A clue can lead to or away from a suspect or theory, it doesn't mean he felt it was left by the killer, he felt that it may have been.

Care to rephrase that, Neil ? Unless you meant to say :

it doesn't mean he felt it was left by the killer for certain, he felt that it may have been
Old August 19th, 2015, 08:50 PM   #28
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Neil:

Sure enough, Anderson stated a personal belief.
If Warren had said it wasn't relative to the apron or the murder of Eddowes, then that was his personal belief too.

We don't know, by head count who did or didn't ( perhaps a few police personnel ) believe or disbelieve in its relativity to the murder.....at least I've never seen it presented.
Old August 19th, 2015, 08:51 PM   #29
Monty
---- ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G. View Post
Hello Monty

How do you not figure it out? Graffito written by the killer, letters written by the killer. Right or wrong that was the initial impression of the police and the establishment, in my view, perhaps helped on by newspaper reporting. Do you question that was what happened?

Best regards

Chris
Because I know police work Chris,

A clue is investigated no matter what the personal belief is, as suspension of prejudice is one of the first things you are taught in investigation training.

One must not take Halses good eye for a clue as his, nor the polices, opinion they felt the writing was left by the killer, but rather that it may have been.

Monty
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 08:55 PM   #30
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Neil:
Is it not also true that the graffiti is only a clue because the police made an issue out of it ?
I hadda check my calendar to make sure we aren't back in 2004, Neil......