Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Critics Corner + Opinion Central

Critics Corner + Opinion Central Book and articles reviewed...Theories analyzed....You know what they say about opinions...they're like Ripperological viewpoints....everyone has one.

Old October 25th, 2015, 05:50 PM   #141
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGP View Post
Given what's been posted here about Robinson's arguments, I think it's clear that the only reason the reviewers think he's made a good case is that the reviewers know nothing about the subject, and can't be bothered to find out anything about it.

To my mind, that just underlines the fact that the press doesn't consider the Whitechapel Murders a subject for serious historical study, but essentially just a bit of entertainment. If a writer of fiction produced a controversial book about - say - the Hundred Years' War or the life of Gladstone, the press would look for somebody who knew something about the subject to review it (or at least the broadsheet press would). As it's just Jack the Ripper, it doesn't occur to them to do that. They don't consider it a subject to which expertise is appropriate. They feel free just to plunge in and express an opinion born of complete ignorance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
Excellent post Chris

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
I agree, Trevor and Chris, this is as much an indictment of the media as it is of Robinson's weaknesses and the flaws in other theories that they trumpet. It's true: the media are not discerning and they jump on the latest theory, and, in the act of doing so, do a disservice to the public.
For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2015, 07:19 PM   #142
Cris Malone
Historian

I have obtained the audio book...all 30+ hours of it. Have listened to the first 4 chapters today and will listen to the rest as time permits at work. I can say the narrator is very good at the emotive tones necessary to convey the story. Hearing it, instead of reading it, is certainly a different angle, with its obvious limitations of referencing but the ability for myself to remain physically productive while ingesting a rather long tome.

Nevertheless, I will feel more comfortable with my criticisms considering the many layers of plot the writer is laying down. He seems to be a 21st century Tom Cullen picking at every scab the Victorians--at least those of class and privilege--left over the perceived sores of the time as Robinson sees it.
"Objectivity comes from how the evidence is treated, not the nature of the evidence itself. Historians can be just as objective as any scientist."
Cris Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 08:13 PM   #143
Cris Malone
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Brown View Post
He has issues with Phillips' performance at the Chapman inquest.
I see those issues now. He believed Phillips saw the masonic link in the mutilations of Chapman and sought to suppress it. The ever eager Wynne Baxter, didn't catch on and kept pressing Phillips for the details. When he got them, "bro" Baxter saw the conundrum, understood why "bro" Phillips was hesitant in divulging the mutilation details, so he concocted an outlandish American organ grab bag theory to cover his mistake.

Bullshit.

I guarantee that if "bro" Phillips was covering for what he saw as some masonic symbolism in Chapman's murder, "bro" Baxter would have known, privately, from Phillips before he would have jeapardized his reputation and his career on a ridiculous backpedaling effort.
"Objectivity comes from how the evidence is treated, not the nature of the evidence itself. Historians can be just as objective as any scientist."
Old October 27th, 2015, 08:50 PM   #144
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

I guarantee that if "bro" Phillips was covering for what he saw as some masonic symbolism in Chapman's murder, "bro" Baxter would have known, privately, from Phillips before he would have jeopardized his reputation and his career on a ridiculous backpedaling effort
'Bro' Malone

Robinson also, as you now know, claims Baxter invented the 'American Doctor" theory. Baxter must have taken an awful lot of guff, regardless of who told him or even if he had invented the story.
Old October 27th, 2015, 09:38 PM   #145
Cris Malone
Historian

Baxter, in his desire to justify 2 long, concurrent and expensive inquests, took the unique circumstances of the Chapman murder (uterus removed supposedly with some ability) and a rumor that he heard about this American, and concocted his theory. In baseball terms, he had two strikes so he decided to swing hard and knock it out of the park. Instead, he struck out.

In other words, yeah, in a way Baxter invented it. It was his theory. But it wasn't out of whole cloth and he didn't just come up with it to get in line with Phillips.

Bottom line is. ..they didn't know what they were up against, but the arrogant Baxter wasn't going to settle for that. However, humble realism set in on his ass during the Stride inquest and he acted much differently.