Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Critics Corner + Opinion Central

Critics Corner + Opinion Central Book and articles reviewed...Theories analyzed....You know what they say about opinions...they're like Ripperological viewpoints....everyone has one.

Old October 22nd, 2015, 06:06 AM   #21
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

An example of a report mentioning the grapes:

Daily News
October 1, 1888

Her hands were clenched, and when the doctor opened them I saw that she had been holding grapes in one hand and sweetmeats in the other. I could not say whether or not she was an unfortunate, but if she was I should judge her to be of a rather better class than the women we usually see about this neighbourhood.
-Louis Diemshutz-
Old October 22nd, 2015, 07:18 AM   #22
Cris Malone
Historian

I would like to see any press report directly stating that PC Lamb said he saw grapes in Stride's hands. Not saying it isn't somewhere, but so far I can't find it.
"Objectivity comes from how the evidence is treated, not the nature of the evidence itself. Historians can be just as objective as any scientist."
Cris Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2015, 08:43 AM   #23
JMenges
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Miller View Post
Re: Ear, since the sketch he used shows the "compass marks" are missing,
I'm surprised he would claim the picture was accurate.

For me, at least, there is little doubt the ear was not severed in it's entirety, as per the doctors reports and official drawings.

That said, it doesn't invalidate the general point he was making about the letter.
And in the sketch the nose is missing entirely, when the photographs show the opposite. So based on that we may presume a large portion of her ear was left attached as well.

JM
JMenges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2015, 09:10 AM   #24
Wicker Man
Researcher

The statement of PC Lamb is not of much use concerning her hands, he says he did not notice anything in her left hand, the hand containing the cachous.
Yet, we all know she held cachous in that hand.

Blackwell tells us:
"The right hand was open and on the chest, and was smeared with blood."

So if there had been anything held in that right hand the contents would have fallen to the ground.

Interestingly Ed. Spooner saw a paper packet in her right hand.
" I noticed that she had a piece of paper doubled up in her right hand,"

Spooner arrived before Blackwell, so if Spooner was right whatever was in her hand when Spooner arrived may have slipped out to the ground by the time Blackwell arrived.

However, Dr Phillips tells us:
"Neither on the hands nor about the body of the deceased did I find grapes, or connection with them."

Unless any contents of the right hand had been accidentally trodden into the ground, or mud, in the dark, then we can't reasonably assert she had held any grapes.
The yard was washed down before 5:00am, if I recall correctly, so before daylight.
Which means any searching done by police and doctors was done by lamp light or candle light. Not the most efficient method.

All things considered, it is unlikely Stride fell to the ground clutching cachous in one hand and grapes in the other. It is unfortunate though that Packer has been ridiculed for the grapes story, yet it can be clearly seen the grapes were introduced by others, days before Packer spoke to the press.
" observed the medical authority, "he's a good deal sharper than those who are not".
Reynolds Newspaper, 4 Nov. 1888.
Wicker Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2015, 04:18 PM   #25
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

I would like to see any press report directly stating that PC Lamb said he saw grapes in Stride's hands. Not saying it isn't somewhere, but so far I can't find it.
-Cris Malone-

"On the arrival of that officer ( the preceding paragraph mentions Lamb 252H ) he perceived that the dead woman was lying on her left side and was clutching some grapes in her right hand and sweetmeats in her left"
Daily Telegraph
October 1, 1888
Page 5
Old October 22nd, 2015, 04:32 PM   #26
Christer Holmgren
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Brown View Post
-Cris Malone-

"On the arrival of that officer ( the preceding paragraph mentions Lamb 252H ) he perceived that the dead woman was lying on her left side and was clutching some grapes in her right hand and sweetmeats in her left"
Daily Telegraph
October 1, 1888
Page 5
Could you provide the surrounding context, Howard? I would like to see the preceding and following sentences, if it is possible.
Old October 22nd, 2015, 04:59 PM   #27
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Give me a few minutes, Christer....I'll get on it.
Old October 22nd, 2015, 05:03 PM   #28
CGP
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris Malone View Post
I'm happy to be corrected by the police experts, but isn't it most unlikely that any police constable would have made a statement to the press about what he'd seen?
CGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2015, 05:31 PM   #29
Christer Holmgren
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Brown View Post
Give me a few minutes, Christer....I'll get on it.
Itīs no rush whatsoever, Howard - itīs bedtime over here anyway, so you just take your time!
Old October 22nd, 2015, 05:33 PM   #30
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Stricken with horror, Diemshitz rushed into the club and raised an alarm, shouting out that something had happened, though not saying what. Then accompanied by Eagle and another member, named Isaac Kozebrodski, a Polish Jew, he went back to the yard, and after another match had been struck the trio reassured themselves that a foul murder had been committed. In all haste Eagle and Kozebrodski ran out for the police, and after some delay found Constable Lamb, 252 H Division, in Commercial-road. On the arrival of that officer he perceived that the dead woman was lying on her side, and was clutching some grapes in her right hand and sweetmeats in her left. In addition to the ghastly cut on the throat, there were scars on the left temple and cheek, the wounds being discoloured with dirt. The body was still warm. No signs of scuffle could be discovered, but the idea of suicide was negatived by the absence of any weapon.

Here you are, Christer....