Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Community's Collective Wisdom

The Community's Collective Wisdom "Scotland Yard was really no wiser on the subject than it was 15 years ago.."-F.G.Abberline,1903. The question is...are we ?

Old January 22nd, 2016, 05:33 PM   #1
Alan Baird

Default The George Compton Coincidence

Hi everybody,
I have just typed up the whole entry, I was listing and I accidentally touched the wrong button and lost the lost. Maybe this time I will divide it up into two messages. Anyway here we go again.

There is an interesting article from the Cardiff Times dated 17/11/1888, regarding, ''A man with a blood stained coat - suspect George Compton.'' If you search the forum, Howard put the article up on the site. I'm not sure how to add this article to this particular thread but maybe somebody else could do that - as it would be easier than explaining the whole story.
Basically a George Compton was the suspect, Mr Brown of 9 Dorset Street handed him over to the Police and once George Compton's alibi was confirmed, he was released.
Recently a Queen Victoria Metropolitan Police medal for 1887 came on the market which was awarded to, ''PC G Compton H Divn.'' It was believed no records had survived regarding this Police Constable but his joining and pension records were actually there in the National Archives:-

PC George Compton.
Warrant number 53393.
Joined Metropolitan Police on the 5/12/1870 and assigned to K or Bow Division and served there until 30/6/1880.
Transferred to H or Whitechapel Division on the 1/7/1880 and served there until he retired on the 30/6/1888.
His retirement commenced on the 1/7/1888 with a pension of 22.9.4. per annum.

Physical Description 1/7/1888.
[1] 45 years old.
[2] five feet and seven and three quarter inches tall.
[3] Dark hair.
[4] Hazel eyes.
[5] Florid [reddish] complexion.
[6]Born in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, on the 15/12/1842.
[7] Parents were Samuel and Louisa Compton.
[8] Present address 1/7/1888 115 Finnis Street, in Bethnal Green.
[9] Intended future residency 115 Finnis Street, in Bethnal Green.

1871 Census Records. PC George Compton residing at the Police Station at 2 Station Place, West Ham. [Single, DOB listed as Sandhurst, Gloucestershire, 1845.]
1881 Census Records. PC George Compton residing at 115 Old Church Road, Mile End Town, married to Faith Compton, an upholsteress. [Faith Compton DOB Yorkshire, 1847.]

I am going to stop here and list this and then do another finishing message.
Alan.
Alan Baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2016, 06:01 PM   #2
Alan Baird

Default 2nd part of message/listing.

Hi,
This is the second part of the first message I posted regarding George Compton........

Summary,

[a] PC George Compton retires after only 18 years on a pension that started on the 1/7/1888.
[b] George Compton is residing in the local area, at 115 Finnis Street, in Bethnal Green - before - during - and after the Ripper murders.
[c] George Compton's last 8 years with the Metropolitan Police were with H or Whitechapel Division and has the experience of local contacts and local knowledge of the topography etc.
[d] It would be very strange if George Compton was not actively interested in these murders, as there was considerable rewards and glory. for anybody who could help to solve them.
[e] George Compton seems to then disappear, as I cannot find him in the Census 1891 Records.
[f] Faith Compton, in the Census 1891 Records, is residing alone with the Jacob Seigenberg family and working for them as a cabinet upholsteress, at 80 St Stephen Road, in the Parish of Stratford Le Bow St Mary.

I am not saying the suspect George Compton and the ex -PC George Compton are the same person, as I don't think they are . What I am saying is I find this an, ''interesting coincidence.''

There are two other George Compton's worthy of note :-

[a] George Compton found guilty of the rape of his daughter and sentenced to 10 years imprisonment. [Had been residing at 147 Cottenham Road, Upper Holloway.]
Old Bailey trial 29/6/1891
[b]Thomas Lynes, petty criminal who used the alais of ''George Compton.'' Old Bailey trail 14/12/1891 and sentenced to 3 years for theft and pocket picking. Under the sentencing it took into account other convictions Thomas Lynes had under this alais.

These are just interesting coincidences but if anybody has any other information I would be most interested to hear them.

bye
Alan.
[b]

Last edited by Alan Baird; January 22nd, 2016 at 07:09 PM. Reason: wrong month stated
Old January 23rd, 2016, 04:23 AM   #3
Alan Baird

Default forgot to mention

There is something I forgot to add - retired PC George Compton must have been injured on duty or through illness been allowed to retire after only 18 years because normally people retired after 25 years service.

Also, even if he was in ill health, he was still around in 1891. We know this because his wife Faith Compton who was living on her own with the Seigenberg family [furniture dealers], is recorded in the 1891 census, as being married and is not recorded as being widowed.

Maybe somewhere I will find him in one of the census records for 1891, 1901 or 1911?

Alan.
Old January 23rd, 2016, 11:59 AM   #4
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Hi Alan

George and Faith are indeed hard to find. I think that might be Faith dying in Islington in 1921.

But what do you make of this? Look at the occupation.
Attached Images

Robert Linford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 02:19 PM   #5
Alan Baird

Default I came up with the same conclusions

Hi Robert,
With the marriage certificate, I believe, the occupation of commercial clerk was just a mistake and I am 90% sure this is PC George Compton. George Compton is good, his father is recorded as on the marriage banns as being Samuel Compton which is confirmed on his retirement records as being correct, Faith was the Christain name of his wife and the wedding banns records the district as being St Peter, Old Town Mile End so he is in the right area of London.

I too came to the conclusion that the June 1921 record, refers to the death of Faith Compton.

I really appreciate your findings, as it helps to know, somebody else came up with the same thoughts.

There is a George Compton who died in Mile End Old Town in 1898 and the DOB is listed as 1846 which is a couple of years out but that is not unusual so this could be him but it is impossible to confirm.

I am surprised I can't find him in the 1891 Census records because being an ex Police Constable, I would imagine it would be part of his nature to complete such official documents. Since George and Faith had no children, maybe he found somebody else on retirement but he should still be recorded as a Police Pensioner. Maybe Faith never accepted that situation and that is why she is still recorded as being a married woman in the 1891 Census records. That is all speculation obviously, just thinking aloud. The key lies in finding in the 1891 files.

many thanks,
Alan.
Old January 23rd, 2016, 03:07 PM   #6
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Hi Alan and Robert
There is a George Crompton living in Mile End in 1891 with a wife named Jane (late Howell). George was born in Gloucestershire ca. 1846. George is a billiard marker and Jane is a laundress.
The reason I wondered if this might be George Compton is that I can't seem to find a George Crompton with the same date and place of birth in any other records. I only looked quickly, so you may be able to clear this up with a more detailed look but I couldn't see a marriage for George Crompton and Jane Howell. Jane's maiden name was Jerman or Jarman and her husband Francis Henry Howell appears to have died in Whitechapel in 1884.

Sorry if this turns out to be a red herring but thought it worth mentioning for a closer look just in case.
Debra Arif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 04:48 PM   #7
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Thanks Debs. Jane Compton as Compton is at 3 West St MEOT in 1901, with two of her children and a niece. She is now widowed, perhaps owing to the 1898 death of George that Alan mentioned earlier. But this doesn't help because I can no more find a George Compton marrying Jane than I can a George Crompton.
Robert Linford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 06:13 PM   #8
Alan Baird

Default Thank you for info

Hi Robert and Debra,
Thank you for the information and help and the only thing I came up with today was Electoral Records confirming PC George Compton was residing at 115 Old Church Road, Mile End Town, from 1881 until 1885 but he may have stayed there longer. It was in his retirement document of 1/7/1888, that it stated he was living at 115 Finnis Street, in Bethnal Green and that he intended to remain at this address.
Tomorrow, I think I might try and research Faith Compton, after the 1891 census. Actually, what if George Compton was in hospital or prison [I don't really think he would be in jail] Maybe I will use less information and see what comes up.

many thanks,
Alan.
Old January 23rd, 2016, 06:16 PM   #9
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Linford View Post
Thanks Debs. Jane Compton as Compton is at 3 West St MEOT in 1901, with two of her children and a niece. She is now widowed, perhaps owing to the 1898 death of George that Alan mentioned earlier. But this doesn't help because I can no more find a George Compton marrying Jane than I can a George Crompton.
I was thinking perhaps it was a bigamous marriage and this is George Compton, Robert? It doesn't seem as if George Crompton ever existed except in the 1891 census.
Debra Arif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 06:29 PM   #10
Alan Baird

Default Just a thought

I have just suddenly realised something.....in PC George Compton's pension records, his status is listed as ''married'' and that his next of kin was recorded as being his ''wife.''
In all of the other pension records I have seen, it would always name the next of kin ie Faith Compton [wife]. It is a small point but this could mean they had already separated by the time he retired from H or Whitechapel Division/Metropolitan Police.

bye
Alan.