Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Community's Collective Wisdom

The Community's Collective Wisdom "Scotland Yard was really no wiser on the subject than it was 15 years ago.."-F.G.Abberline,1903. The question is...are we ?

Old January 23rd, 2016, 06:30 PM   #11
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

It could well be, Debs. Ideally we'd know when the police pension ceased to be paid but I don't suppose the paperwork has survived. Another approach is to find Faith from 1901 onwards, and see if she's down as a widow. I haven't found her so far.

Not a bigamous marriage, since there seems no marriage, more a question of a woman calling herself by her partner's name - which may be what Faith too was doing in 1901.

I checked the people she was with in 91 and she wasn't with them in 01.
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 06:45 PM   #12
Robert Linford

Hi Alan

Yes, maybe. I'm not very familiar with police pensions.
Old January 24th, 2016, 08:11 AM   #13
Alan Baird

Default Can't find ......

Hi,
Faith is a good Christian name to search for, better than Mary or Jane but I cannot find any Faith Compton [nee Reynolds] DOB 1845-47, Yorkshire, neither before her 1881 census entry or after the 1891 census entry. The next time you see her recorded, is on her death, aged 75, in Islington, in 1921. So I seem to have drawn a blank on this line of research.

bye
Alan.
Alan Baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 09:49 AM   #14
Alan Baird

Default The Workhouse

Hi,

The reason we cannot find Faith Compton in the 1901 and 1911 census records may be because she was falling into deeper and deeper difficulties and poverty.

The reason I suggest this is because there is a Faith Compton on the 20th of December in 1912 that is placed in the St John's Road Workhouse, in Islington, on the authority of Holloway. [I take it this is probably the prison service] Faith Compton is only a couple of years older ie DOB listed as 1843 but I could imagine it might be beneficial for her to state her age as being slightly older whilst in the workhouse. Anyway the figures are close enough. At this time she is listed as a non-abled bodied woman and having no children.

If she has been struggling to survive for many years, then she would have been moving around from one temporary lodgings to another and so maybe this is why she is not recorded on the census records of 1901 and 1911.

The death recorded in 1921, relating to Faith Compton, was also for the Islington area of London and again fits to the overall picture.

Must go I've got a greyhound and a Labrador that are demanding to be walked.

bye
Alan.
Old January 24th, 2016, 09:53 AM   #15
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Hi Alan and Robert
There's a Faith Compton of the right age in the Islington St John's Rd Workhouse admitted 20th Dec. 1912. The age is right at 69. Her last address was given as 782 Holloway Rd. and she's listed as a widow.
Debra Arif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 09:54 AM   #16
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Our posts crossed.
Old January 24th, 2016, 10:55 AM   #17
Robert Linford

Debs, I believe Alan's done it!

In 1911 there is a Mrs Scott, servant, born Yorks with the Nyman or Ryman family at #782. In 1901 she is with the same family but she is called Faith Scott born Bradford (bullseye).
Old January 24th, 2016, 11:01 AM   #18
Alan Baird

Default brillian Debra

Hi Debra and Richard,
That's brilliant Debra and probably the Holloway authority is nothing to do with the prison service, it was just the area/council/district that she came from ie 782 Holloway Road and if this is the same Faith Compton, then we know George Compton has already died.
I really think this is the same person and it is definitely the most likely choice/theory. I do so like this forum.

bye for now,
Alan.
Old January 24th, 2016, 11:07 AM   #19
Alan Baird

Default everything looks interesting

Hi Richard and Debra,
Things are looking good, must go again, seems I am needed for shopping. Can't wait to find out about Richard's info.

bye for now,
Alan.
Old January 24th, 2016, 11:15 AM   #20
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Well sorted guys!

Robert-I used the first name Faith and YOB to search the workhouse registers for Islington earlier on and guess which name popped up in 1911 on 3 separate entries..Faith Scott. I just went back to look at her now and her address is given as 782 Holloway Rd and she's a widow.