Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Community's Collective Wisdom

The Community's Collective Wisdom "Scotland Yard was really no wiser on the subject than it was 15 years ago.."-F.G.Abberline,1903. The question is...are we ?

Old January 24th, 2016, 11:24 AM   #21
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Hi Debs

You mean, Richard.

Yes, Faith Scott is Faith Compton - it would be too much of a coincidence if the family had two Faiths in a row.

One little problem is that in 1898 and 1901 she says she is the widow of George, a potman. But the 1898 one is a bit too early for his death, if he died Q3 1898. There's probably an explanation, though.
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 11:51 AM   #22
Robert Linford

Faith is duplicated in the death registers as Compton and Scott - both age 75, both Q2 Islington 1921, both 1b 192.
Old January 24th, 2016, 05:29 PM   #23
Robert Linford

Faith is in there again in 1913, listed as Compton or Scott. Transcribed as "Compher."
Old January 24th, 2016, 05:34 PM   #24
Alan Baird

Default Brilliant........

Hello Richard and Debra,
That is absolutely brilliant work and it took me ages to fix everything in my head when I came back from having to help with the shopping.

Anyway ''Faith Scott'' is ''Faith Compton.'' Workhouse Admissions ;-

[a] 1898. Faith Scott. Widow. Residing with the Nyman family at 38 Old Montague Street, in Whitechapel.
[b] 1901. Faith Scott. Widow. Residing with the Nyman family at 38 Old Montague Street, in Whitechapel.
[c] January 1911 and July 1911 and December 1911. Faith Scott. Widow. Residing with the Nyman family at 782 Holloway Road, in Islington.
[d] Faith Compton. Widow. Residing with the Nyman family at 782 Holloway Road, in Islington.
Faith's dates of birth all roughly match up, the 1901 and 1911 Census records all state the same information and she was a domestic servant to this family. There are at least two Workhouse Hospital admissions for an ulcerated leg.

Therefore Faith Compton was still married to Ex PC George Compton on the 1st of July in 1888 and it may be George Compton died before the 1891 Census records and that is why we cannot find him but within the period from 1888 to 1898 Faith Compton has married again - George Scott [Potman - Public House employee] and he had died before 1898.

Therefore you would think....there should be 2 death certificates and 1 marriage certificate.....possibly out there somewhere.

hope that is all correct.
bye for now
Alan
Alan Baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 06:05 PM   #25
Robert Linford

Hi Alan

I haven't been through the registers quarter by quarter but it looks to me as if there was no George Scott and no marriage to George Scott. I think the George who was a potman was George Compton (after his police career) and that he probably died in 1898.
Old January 24th, 2016, 06:36 PM   #26
Alan Baird

Default Robert

Hi Robert,
My apologies for calling you Richard instead of Robert, it was just the son is called Richard and is wife is called Debra and the name Debra just automatically makes me write Richard.
That is all a bit long winded but my apologies anyway.

All that you said makes sense to me, I can imagine ex PC George Compton being a good potsman, as he would have had plenty of experience in dealing with the public and with people effected by drink etc. After 18 years on the force, his people skills could be extremely useful.
What I am not so sure about is that George Compton death was registered between July and September of 1898 but Faith Scott was admitted to the Workhouse Hospital between April and May of 1898 so why would she call herself Faith Scott when George Compton was still alive.
What do you think?

Alan.
Old January 24th, 2016, 07:30 PM   #27
Robert Linford

Hi Alan

About the name, no worries.

I agree we have a problem with Faith's widowhood. Perhaps she received a telegram from an ailing George Compton saying "Reports of my death have been exaggerated." Or perhaps the potman was George Scott, and (in the absence of a yet discovered marriage) Faith had been living with him and assumed his name.

However, it seems to me that the George Compton discovered by Debs, living as man and wife with Jane, in 1891, is a good bet for our ex-policeman. Jane was at 3 West St in 1901, and by then she was 'widowed.'
The electoral registers for 3 West St show George Compton there as far as 1899 (people can sometimes appear in the year after their death if they die late in the previous year). I have checked 3 West St for 1900, 1901 and 1902 and there is no George Compton.

I'd bet on George dying in 1898, but I wouldn't bet a lot of money.
Old January 25th, 2016, 07:46 AM   #28
Alan Baird

Default Thank You both

Hello Robert and Debra,
There was a lot of information came in yesterday and I was playing catch up most of the time but I believe Robert's last conclusions were both correct and logical.

First of all thank you Robert for your help and especially with the connection to Faith Scott/Compton and Debra thank you also for all your help and especially for you finding George Compton in the 1891 Census records. Both of these facts/area's of research, I would never have found in a million years. Even after Debra explaining George Compton was in the 1891 census records, I could only find him through Debra's information on his wife, Jane Howell.

I will type up PC George Compton life now and laminate the results for posterity.

Basic Details for anybody reading this :-

[a] PC George Compton.
[b] Served in the Metropolitan Police 1870 to 1888, 18 years in total, last 8 years in 'H' or Whitechapel Division.
[c] Retired 1st July 1888, [pension of 22.9.4 per annum], retired approximately 8 weeks before the Mary Ann Nichols murder.
[d] Residing in Bethnal Green during this infamous period.
[e] Marriage to Faith Compton, difficulties/breakdown, between late 1888 to 1891. [No children with Faith Compton.]
[f] Marries Jane Howell in 1891 and now has a family which includes Jane's children, employed as a Billiard maker.
[g] George Compton dies in 1898.

N.B. With Faith Compton/Scott, I would tend to go with the view of a common law marriage to George Scott [potsman] sometime between 1891 and 1898 and who died before her Workhouse Hospital admission of 1898.

hope you think that is all OK
Bye for now,
Alan.

Last edited by Alan Baird; January 25th, 2016 at 08:14 AM. Reason: mistake in text
Old January 25th, 2016, 08:14 AM   #29
Robert Linford

Hi Alan

I don't think there was a bigamous marriage between George and Jane - more a common law thing.

I'm not sure if we can say when he took up with Jane - any time between 1884, when her husband died, and 1891 when they're together in the census I guess.
Old January 25th, 2016, 08:48 AM   #30
Alan Baird

Default Hello

Hello Robert,
I think when people were younger and with their first marriage there is naturally more of a chance of it being officially recorded but I would agree that George, Jane and even Faith etc are more likely to be common law marriages especially being middle aged. When people don't have much or are poor, why would they spend money they don't have or can't afford ...... to get married when they can simply live together and that is an accepted practice.

As for your second point about George and Jane, that they could have possibly known each other from as early as 1884 - your right but I was giving George the benefit of the doubt and so implied a later date from 1888 onwards. I have got kind of fond of George Compton ha, ha.

bye
Alan