Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Victims > Elizabeth Stride

Old February 11th, 2016, 06:12 PM   #11
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Do we know what is written further down the page, under the scribbled section? It's just that on the other scans that have been posted of the description given of the the man seen at Mitre Square I can see the word 'murdered' written further down the page with the scribbles...I think.

As an aside-could this be where Macnaghten got the idea that a City PC had seen Eddowes killer? Reading the description page again it mentions the City police (relating to Eddowes) and talks of comparisons Schwartz and the PC's descriptions. Could someone doing a quick once over some time later have picked that up as meaning a City PC? Just a thought.
Debra Arif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2016, 06:25 PM   #12
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGP View Post
I wonder if the last word on that line could be "certainly", if one of the lines that looks like part of a double 't' (or 'f') is really part of the crossing out.
Or could it be an echoed 'horribly', following the main text in the descriptions write up opposite?
Old February 11th, 2016, 06:47 PM   #13
Anna Morris

In the first sentence, third line I almost think the word "constable" could be there. As in "the constable". It's better than a guess but not by much. I almost think the gist is about someone (constable) crying out murder, but not in exactly those words.
Old February 12th, 2016, 06:41 AM   #14
CGP
Former Member

Taking advantage of the fact that most of the work has been done by other people, on Casebook and here, at the moment my "best guess" for the whole text is:

This is said to have been
at 1.35 : by that time
the woman had been certainly?
murdered.

If this? time?? 1.35 is correct the
woman?? seen?? could? not? have
[been??] the? murdered? woman?
CGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2016, 07:03 AM   #15
CGP
Former Member

Quote:
Taking advantage of the fact that most of the work has been done by other people, on Casebook and here, at the moment my "best guess" for the whole text is:

murdered.

I must admit I was stumped by the second half until Pat made a suggestion on Casebook about it. I think the sense of that must be right, though I think the wording is a bit different. A possible alternative sense might be that the witnesses "could not have seen the murdered woman".

Anyhow, I think the official who wrote this comment must have crossed it out after he realised that there were two murdered women - Stride who was murdered before 1.35 and Eddowes who was believed to have been seen at 1.35.
CGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2016, 09:40 AM   #16
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:

murdered.

I think that sounds about right, Chris (and Pat). It makes sense (to me anyway) in the context of the facing page too where discussion of the Mitre Square witness only giving a description of the woman seen with a man at 1.35- the writer of the marginal note obviously thinking this time and sighting reference was to the Stride murder, as I think someone may have already suggested somewhere?
Old February 14th, 2016, 09:25 AM   #17
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

I noticed in the images posted by Dean (Hamrammr) on casebook that there's one stamped cover referring to a report that " States that Mr packer believes the murderer to be his own cousin"
Isn't that statement incorrect? It must relate to the incident reported in the press where Packer sold rabbits to two men, one of whom claimed the ripper was his cousin, not Packer's, who'd recently come from the US, surely?
Old February 14th, 2016, 09:36 AM   #18
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

The use of 'been' where it is in the sentence 'the woman had been ---- murdered" still makes me think the word is something more descriptive like horribly, brutally, something like that, rather than definitely or certainly where it would make sense if the word 'been' followed instead of preceded it.
Old February 14th, 2016, 09:56 AM   #19
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

It must relate to the incident reported in the press where Packer sold rabbits to two men, one of whom claimed the ripper was his cousin, not Packer's, who'd recently come from the US, surely?
-Debra Arif-

That's the correct scenario, Debs. Good eye !
Old February 14th, 2016, 11:33 AM   #20
Rob House
Researcher

I am wondering why, in the image posted, the writing on the left appears to be in halftone, while the writing on the right is much clearer? (see below) Is there any chance we can get a better scan of the writing?

Rob H
Attached Images
File Type: png halftone.png (258.1 KB, 31 views)
Rob House is offline   Reply With Quote