Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Editorials

Editorials Setting the record straight when and where necessary

Old April 8th, 2017, 11:35 AM   #21
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Ah, well what you have to do there is dig a tunnel and stow your supplies in it.
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2017, 11:37 AM   #22
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

I repeat....where is the photo of great granny and this queue ? You forgot to post it.

Yours
Starving In Eagleville
Old April 8th, 2017, 12:54 PM   #23
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

How, consider : the people in front of her had already been elbowed aside, as was Great Granny's wont. And the people behind her gradually left - because Great Granny was a voracious scrapple eater, and....you know....
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2017, 01:25 PM   #24
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Brown View Post
That seems to be a Photoshopped picture of Catherine Sarah Hall, one of Eddowes descendants.The original photograph was in Neal Shelden's book Catherine Eddowes, Jack the Ripper Victim
Neal Shelden. Privately published, 2003. and he also posted it to Casebook:

Name:  sarah Hall.JPG
Views: 49
Size:  33.9 KB
Debra Arif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2017, 01:56 PM   #25
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Debs:

As soon as I went to the page this morning and read what this person wrote, I tried to respond, letting them know who the woman was....but I couldn't get the page to accept my 'credentials' ( email addy, name, etc).

Thanks for posting that.
XXXXX
Old April 8th, 2017, 02:11 PM   #26
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Debs:

As soon as I went to the page this morning and read what this person wrote, I tried to respond, letting them know who the woman was....but I couldn't get the page to accept my 'credentials' ( email addy, name, etc).

Thanks for posting that.
XXXXX
Me too but I'm sure they already know who she is, How? Or has the picture being doing the rounds elsewhere previously and the blog owner has innocently taken it to be a genuine picture of Catherine Eddowes?
Debra Arif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2017, 02:18 PM   #27
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Debs:

I haven't seen it used before this morning.
That's a good question, though...whether this person saw it used before and just emulated them.
Old April 8th, 2017, 05:34 PM   #28
Anna Morris

A while ago Debs and I discussed something like a Pinterest page that exposes these errors. Pinterest may not be the best venue but it is one in which I operate and when we were discussing this I think the offending picture was on one of those pages.

Since this Forum strives for accuracy and honesty it might be a good idea to have a new section devoted to these erroneous postings. It wouldn't have to call out people making the postings--as long as there is a Pinterest or Facebook stuff will circulate, right or wrong--but just expose the pictures, explain what they really are and what they are not. If anyone wants the truth they could come to a reputable place like this. I bet Casebook would be willing to do similar.

At this point I am not sure what I think of such an effort on Pinterest. Pinterest is odd and its artificial intelligence doesn't work too good and for subjects requiring a bit of thought I don't think it's a good venue. It is also hard to comment on things and receive comments.

We also have the new Twitter feed. I don't know anything about Tumblr but it might be a good place to expose some of this stuff.

Many of us are most interested in actual lives of people in the time and place and less interested in Jack and his crimes. It is such a treat and an honour to have families share information and pictures with us as has so recently been done on the Morgenstern thread. How long before one of those pictures is posted as "the only known picture of......"? Perhaps attacking the erroneous information would be somewhat of a protection against more of it appearing and at least some would know we are serious about accuracy and that we respect our sources.
Old April 8th, 2017, 05:52 PM   #29
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Anna:

If you'd like to be in charge of a project concerning these phony photos, by all means please set up a thread for that....preferably, if you decide in the affirmative, set it up in Photographs.

I think its worthwhile. I usually post something on these people's pages (Blogs, Google, etc) whenever I can.
Old April 8th, 2017, 06:08 PM   #30
Anna Morris

Quote:
Anna:

If you'd like to be in charge of a project concerning these phony photos, by all means please set up a thread for that....preferably, if you decide in the affirmative, set it up in Photographs.

I think its worthwhile. I usually post something on these people's pages (Blogs, Google, etc) whenever I can.
Let me think about it for a couple days. I think it's a good idea and think I can work on it. If we get it going it will be a go-to place for exposure whenever we find stuff like this.

Anybody can put anything online and it can be hard to get at the truth sometimes. This happens on a number of subjects. It's always good to have an accurate database to use for reference.

(And there are deliberately dodgy sites like the one who has some of our best researchers on a "Wall of Shame". Not sure why. Those who interact on the site laud a certain female and nothing more need be said.)