Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Victims > The Pinchin Street Torso

Old May 19th, 2016, 06:10 AM   #11
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Karsten:

There was wall writing in or around Artizan's Dwellings....the article Rob and Neil had published in Ripperologist Magazine contains a photo of the graffiti...
Old May 19th, 2016, 09:38 AM   #12
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post
Thank you, Gary!

That must be the one they were searching, then. I wonder who tipped them off? I could be wrong but it sounds like some of this may relate to the "strange story" John Arnold gave to the police a few days before? Was he the man they would not lose sight of? Or someone he mentioned, like John Cleary?

I believe the "Guzzling Jim" story surfaced about this time, too.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the man, apparently a Jew tailor, seen on the corner by the dumping site by the guy who got knocked up at 5am by the constable on patrol?
Debra Arif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 01:08 PM   #13
Jerry Dunlop
Information Extractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Arif View Post
I wonder if it has anything to do with the man, apparently a Jew tailor, seen on the corner by the dumping site by the guy who got knocked up at 5am by the constable on patrol?
Now that could be, Debs. Good thought. I was just talking about this, again, on casebook. Are you referring to Jeremiah Hurley's sighting of the Tailor in Pinchin Street when he left for work?

Also, unless I'm reading this wrong, does this not imply they think the Ripper had a hand in this with accomplices?

The detectives are not relying on the theory that the Pinchin-street crime was the work of the Whitechapel monster alone. They place more reliance on the assumption that two men placed the burden under the arch, and that the criminals responsible for depositing the woman's trunk last year at the new police offices on the Thames embankment have participated in the latest East-end mystery.
Jerry Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 01:35 PM   #14
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Now that could be, Debs. Good thought. I was just talking about this, again, on casebook. Are you referring to Jeremiah Hurley's sighting of the Tailor in Pinchin Street when he left for work?

Also, unless I'm reading this wrong, does this not imply they think the Ripper had a hand in this with accomplices?

The detectives are not relying on the theory that the Pinchin-street crime was the work of the Whitechapel monster alone. They place more reliance on the assumption that two men placed the burden under the arch, and that the criminals responsible for depositing the woman's trunk last year at the new police offices on the Thames embankment have participated in the latest East-end mystery.
Yes, I couldn't remember Hurley's name (if I ever knew it) but I remembered mentioning the 'Jew tailor' seen on the street corner at 5am near Pinchin St in the podcast.

It's an odd one to understand, Jerry. When they mention that they are not considering the Whitechapel murderer alone was responsible, it could mean two things. I took it to mean it wasn't the only theory they were considering, but when you read on, the mention of two men being involved seems to suggest that the first line could refer to him not working alone. So...I don't know.
Old May 19th, 2016, 01:57 PM   #15
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

This isn't exactly relevant but years ago Rob Clack found an article about the Pinchin St murder in an American newspaper and printed alongside it was a diagram of a fenced-off bit of ground and it was labelled with forensic type clues. It pointed out things like fibres on the top of the fence and bits of paper screwed up and discarded-things like that. There was absolutely no explanation of the digram in the paper except that it was somehow related to Pinchin St and had been found or handed in or something if I am remembering it properly. If it was handed in, maybe it was part of the evidence of this 'strange story?'
Old May 19th, 2016, 02:01 PM   #16
Jerry Dunlop
Information Extractor

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=25467 (starting at post #4)

From R.J Palmer in post #6 by Howard.

"The second man is now being watched. He is a resident of the East End, and has been for years. For a long time he has been acting in the most suspicious fashion. He has a business, to which he scarcely ever personally attends. He goes about drinking, and is to be met at all hours of the night in the streets all over the neighborhood. He enters his house at hours when his wife and family have long been at rest. No member of his family dare question him as to his ramblings. He knocks about among the lowest class of women at unearthly hours, although, according to general report, their very appearance is hateful in his sight. His hatred has been produced by physical suffering, for which, like most men of his class, he holds himself perfectly irresponsible. His habits are such as to give one the notion that he is not altogether in a fit position to be allowed to roam at will. Whether he has anything to do with any crime, it is, of course, impossible to say, but he is kept in view."
Old May 19th, 2016, 04:30 PM   #17
Jerry Dunlop
Information Extractor

Quote:
This isn't exactly relevant but years ago Rob Clack found an article about the Pinchin St murder in an American newspaper and printed alongside it was a diagram of a fenced-off bit of ground and it was labelled with forensic type clues. It pointed out things like fibres on the top of the fence and bits of paper screwed up and discarded-things like that. There was absolutely no explanation of the digram in the paper except that it was somehow related to Pinchin St and had been found or handed in or something if I am remembering it properly. If it was handed in, maybe it was part of the evidence of this 'strange story?'
Is that article published anywhere, Debs?
Old May 19th, 2016, 04:39 PM   #18
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Is that article published anywhere, Debs?
No, I don't think it is, Jerry. Rob found it years ago. Maybe he will see this and discuss it or he might be saving it for something, not sure. It just sprang to mind as it was a bit strange too.
Old May 20th, 2016, 06:13 AM   #19
Karsten Giese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Brown View Post
Karsten:

There was wall writing in or around Artizan's Dwellings....the article Rob and Neil had published in Ripperologist Magazine contains a photo of the graffiti...
Sorry, Howard! I was not clear enough.

Best regards, Karsten.
Karsten Giese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2016, 02:59 PM   #20
Jerry Dunlop
Information Extractor

Quote:
Debs,

Been a long time to reply to this, but I just stumbled across this very diagram yesterday.

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread....ghlight=dodger

post #4 and #5