Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Victims > Elizabeth Stride

Old June 24th, 2016, 07:48 PM   #21
Anna Morris

It's always good to refresh on the research. Liz got help from her CHURCH, not necessarily a fund for the Princess Alice disaster.

"Daily News", 6 October, 1888, Inquest testimony:

Rev. Sven Olsson of the Swedish Church in Trinity Square testifieded that Liz had registered with the church in 1866 as a single woman. She was married to John Thomas Stride in 1869, but not in the Swedish church. Rev. Olsson had given her the hymn book in the past winter.

"She told me that he [Stride] was drowned in the Princess Alice disaster. She was very poor then and would have been glad if any assistance. I gave her assistance about that time.

"I do not remember having heard that she had any children. If it were true that her husband went down in the Princess, I think she would have applied for relief from the fund which was raised at the Mansion House."

"Morning Advertiser", 4 October, 1888, Inquest testimony:

Elizabeth Tanner testified, "She told me that she lost the roof of her mouth at the time the Princess Alice went down, and I recognize her by that. She was in the Princess Alice when it went down, and her mouth was injured."

Michael Kidney had testified that two of Liz' children drowned in the disaster and the rest were in a school run by the Swedish church. In the other article, Rev. Olsson had testified that the church did not have any school. Kidney also said, "I have heard her say that some friends of her husband had some of the children." Then, "The deceased and her husband were employed on the Princess Alice."

Michael Kidney testified, "She said she had nine children. and that two were drowned in the Princess Alice."

The court had investigated this and pointed out that Liz would have been 25 years old at the time of the disaster and so it would have been unlikely she had nine children. The only case of a father and two children of proper age known to have perished in the disaster were named Bell, age 38, with two sons aged 10 and 7 years.

Then there is speculation about whether or not Liz Stride could be another woman. "It is therefore possible that the body upon which the inquest is now being held is not that of Elizabeth Stride, but of some unknown woman."

Last edited by Anna Morris; June 24th, 2016 at 08:03 PM. Reason: add
Anna Morris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 08:16 PM   #22
Anna Morris

There is a lot about Liz and the Princess Alice.

"Echo", 8 October, 1888:

"Annie Stride in the "Princess Alice,"

With reference to the identity of Elizabeth Stride, the Woolwich newspapers of the time of the Princess Alice disaster have been referred to and it has been found that a woman of that name was a witness at the inquest, and identified the body of a man as her husband, and of two children then lying in the Woolwich Dockyard. She said she was onboard at the time, and saw them drowned her husband picking up one of the children and being drowned with it in his arms. She was saved by climbing the funnel, where she was accidentally kicked in the mouth by a retired Arsenal police inspector, who was also clinging to the top of the funnel. The husband and two children are buried in Woolwich Cemetery."

I don't know what to make of this. ANNIE Stride? Can anyone check the Woolwich papers of the time?

I tried to ad to the other post & it didn't take. Another article, 4 October, 1888 had Michael Kidney's and Elizabeth Tanner's testimonies. Mrs. Tanner said Liz' had had the roof of her mouth destroyed in the disaster and that she had recognized the body by that feature!

Kidney said Liz and her husband were employed on the Princess Alice. He said two of the nine children drowned and the rest of them were in a school run by the Swedish Church. In the first article I referenced, Rev. Olsson had testified that the Swedish church did not have any school. Kidney also said that Liz had said friends of her husband had some of the children.

Someone could write quite a dissertation on this. Even if there was an Annie Stride connected to the Princess Alice, how would that connect to Liz? Relative of John Thomas Stride? Sister-in-law? CURIOUS!
Old June 24th, 2016, 08:33 PM   #23
Anna Morris

Chris Scott investigated the report from the Woolwich paper and there is a discussion at www.casebook.org/forum/messages/4921/12065.html .

Very interesting but no absolute solutions.
Old July 5th, 2016, 10:42 PM   #24
Adam Went
Researcher

I think it's a bit dangerous to speculate on how Liz might have received any injuries to her mouth. Living the lifestyle that she did and had done for some time before her death, it could have happened in any number of ways - she could have been in a fight, she could have been drunk and fallen over, it might have just been some sort of deformity. There's any number of possibilities. However, if she really was on the Princess Alice and got out of it with an injury to her mouth, then she was very lucky indeed! And yes, she sought financial assistance from the Swedish church in England, not through any other funds that might have been put forward to aid in the disaster recovery.

Sean, I shall have to look for that 2013 book you mentioned!

Cheers,
Adam.
Adam Went is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 11:41 AM   #25
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Some of it's online :

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...20lock&f=false
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 12:02 PM   #26
Anna Morris

Adam is right that we have no idea how Liz' mouth may have been injured.

In a slightly different vein it is interesting to note the newspaper report of an Annie Stride identifying victims of the Princess Alice. At a later time Liz used the name Annie Fitzgerald when she was picked up for D & D. Later yet, at the time of her murder, newspaper reports in the U.S.--How posted one of these clips before--Liz' nickname was given as Hippy Lip Annie.

Annie was a very common name, like Mary Jane, but maybe there is a little pattern here that could tell us more about Liz. Her marriage to John Thomas broke down about 1879. Perhaps she had an entirely new life.