Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Community's Collective Wisdom

The Community's Collective Wisdom "Scotland Yard was really no wiser on the subject than it was 15 years ago.."-F.G.Abberline,1903. The question is...are we ?

Old March 15th, 2017, 12:51 PM   #11
SirRobertAnderson
Researcher / Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Poster View Post
Ahhhh.... I see what you mean.

I cant say I am a big follower of such a movement. It seems to me that quite a few "debunkers", like James Randi and a few others, make quite a healthy profit from their "debunking".

And when money is involved, Im usually quite skeptical to skeptics.

P
Exhibit A: Melvin Harris
SirRobertAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 01:32 PM   #12
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
I thought I was a sceptic, but I have my doubts
I wish I'd said that. Probably I will.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 01:50 PM   #13
Leonardo Salvaggio
Debunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRobertAnderson View Post
What pray tell is a 9/11 debunker?
I've been running a website aiming at debunking 9/11 conspiracy theories (according to which 9/11 was done by the US gvt) for 11 years now. I made some 40 interviews with survivors, eyewitnesses and rescuers.
Old March 15th, 2017, 02:00 PM   #14
Mr. Poster
Twit

Wheeeew......for a moment there I thought you eere going to say you were debunking the official version.

I would have had to get my coat.....

P
"Chance hasn't yet peached on Jack the Ripper.If she ever does, it will probably be cause for grotesque disappointment among the Ripperologists, who get as much joy from attacking one another's lunacies, as from any problems originally posed by the Whitechapel murderer" R. Gowers, The Independant, Saturday, 31 December 1994
Mr. Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 02:12 PM   #15
Anna Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRobertAnderson View Post
What pray tell is a 9/11 debunker?
I think a 9/11 debunker is someone who says there was a big conspiracy behind the attack. Alternately it could be someone who attempts to "prove" that it WAS a conspiracy. This subject is where I first learned that analysis of mega data can provide many coincidences and if one does not dig deeper, faulty conclusions can be made. For instance one of the hijackers was marked for deportation and his papers were on a desk at the FBI. The FBI man had a heart attack or something and his replacement put the papers at the bottom of the stack. If one doesn't look deep enough it looks like this was done on purpose.

Too often I think, these professional skeptics have agendas and fail to provide many facets of a subject. Without getting into religious faith, a subject that comes to mind is whether or not Jesus ever existed. Because his life is the base of a religion there are skeptics who go to great lengths to "prove" Jesus of Nazareth never existed even as a human teacher, leader, healer, etc.

I am not a member of any of these groups mentioned. As an investigative journalist I have learned a lot from what they do. (My skills really improve by participating on this Forum.)

As has been said, some of these people make money from their performances. That bothers me. Some of their attitudes bother me also, that they stridently try to explain everything, even the un-explainable. There are still mysteries in this world.

I do see a political movement in this world, to replace religion with "science". It is good to be skeptical, investigate and question. Follow the money is always a good maxim. Are some "scientists" making money on their findings? Are politicians profiting? How are the professional "skeptics" making money? How do these things impact our personal lives, earnings, taxes, etc.?
Old March 15th, 2017, 02:12 PM   #16
Leonardo Salvaggio
Debunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Poster View Post
Wheeeew......for a moment there I thought you eere going to say you were debunking the official version.

I would have had to get my coat.....

P
LOL! Not at all! I'm not a conspiracy theorist!
Old March 15th, 2017, 02:14 PM   #17
Leonardo Salvaggio
Debunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Morris View Post
I think a 9/11 debunker is someone who says there was a big conspiracy behind the attack.
No, Anna. It's the other way around.

I've been AGAINST these people and proving them wrong for more than ten years. I'm supporting the so called "official version" and I'm against conspiracy theorists.
Old March 15th, 2017, 02:22 PM   #18
Anna Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo Salvaggio View Post
No, Anna. It's the other way around.

I've been AGAINST these people and proving them wrong for more than ten years. I'm supporting the so called "official version" and I'm against conspiracy theorists.
OH. I thought it could go both ways... OK.

I wish I could remember my source explaining all the coincidences on 9/11, what they actually mean and why it wasn't a conspiracy. Understanding that is a great aid to understanding research and other things going on in the world today.

(Sometimes conspiracy theories actually point the way to things that are happening but it takes research to find truth behind truth. With international social media, conspiracies are easier to expose.)
Old March 15th, 2017, 07:08 PM   #19
San Fran

Leonardo, if you like debunking and Ripperology, you'll love this thread from Hoax Museum. I don't think anyone even knows what they're debunking or who's side anyone is on or what anyone is talking about but there is a lot of skepticism.

http://hoaxes.org/forums/viewthread/6776/
San Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 03:33 AM   #20
Mr. Poster
Twit

Ive never read anything like that before.

P
"Chance hasn't yet peached on Jack the Ripper.If she ever does, it will probably be cause for grotesque disappointment among the Ripperologists, who get as much joy from attacking one another's lunacies, as from any problems originally posed by the Whitechapel murderer" R. Gowers, The Independant, Saturday, 31 December 1994
Mr. Poster is offline   Reply With Quote