Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Victims > Elizabeth Stride

Old October 10th, 2009, 07:53 AM   #11
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Okay C.G....thanks for the reply.
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:08 AM   #12
JTRSickert
Former Member

I just want to point out that since there were many people still inside the IWMC drinking, talking, and singing, I think if JTR wanted to do a blitz-style attack on Diemshutz to get him out of the way, it probably wouldn't have been heard.

Also, if we assume JTR was hiding in the yard while Diemschutz inspected the body, was he simply somewhere in the shadows or were there some objects in the yard at the time he could've crouched under or hid behind?
Old November 7th, 2009, 04:38 AM   #13
Ultra Violet
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by How Brown View Post
Ultra Violet:

With all due respect to your views, to me it would depend on how someone approached the Ripper ( lets add the Stride murder to the mix) when he was busy at his work. I firmly believe he would have stabbed anyone in his way if cornered and if he had been come up upon while at work, watch out !
Sorry for answering only now (I've been very busy the last two months), but
I said

"I can't see him attack a man, when he has other options."

Being cornered or getting caught in the act doesn't leave other options but fight or surrender. So to me it seems pretty likely that in such a situation he would have attacked.
Old November 7th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #14
Phil Carter
Author

Default 29 Hanbury St

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G. View Post
.... And we don't know if the killer made his escape by walking through the passageway -- he could have climbed over the fence. Probably in an opposite direction to the backyard next door where Richardson and Cadosch were going in and out of the neighboring house.

As for why he didn't kill Diemschutz, I assume he somehow made his escape in the darkness, possibly exiting through the club or else somehow through the buildings toward the back of the yard but he didn't think it worthwhile to kill Diemschutz, who, if his testimony is correct, didn't see him. Also, let's say, he had a higher calling that night. . . .

Chris
Chris,

AS you may know, on YouTube there is a film clip showing 29 Hanbury St, the back yard and the fence...as it was in 1888, a rare clip featuring James Mason, doing a thing about Old London. The escape route you mention certainly is probable.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjIUQqrkJdU

best wishes

Phil
Phil Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #15
ferret
Former Member

Once seen John Bennet's Ripperland- that scene....will never be quite the same again.............
Old November 7th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #16
Sam Flynn
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRSickert View Post
the implication is that while Diemschutz was looking at Stride's body, then JTR (or her some other individual) was hiding in the shadows and then left
Personally, I believe whoever killed Stride had left the scene long before Diemschutz had even turned into Berner Street. So, to answer the question posed by this thread, Diemschutz wasn't killed because - in all probability - the killer was no longer there.
Old November 7th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #17
admin tim

Everyone always seems to assume that whoever first discovered the body of one of Jack's victims would immediately raise an alarm that there had been a 'orrible murder.

Given the practicalities of the situation, might we assume that the finder might have first gone through the pockets of said victim, since he/she would likely be just as poor and needy? Then an alarm could be sounded. There may indeed have been someone there who could have killed Diemschutz, but, like Sam, I don't think it would have been Jack.

Unfortunately, history is full of such 'crimes of opportunity', committed by people who otherwise might never have done such a thing if not presented with such an opportunity.
admin tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 12:29 AM   #18
George Lorton
Former Member

I'm on the fence on Stride's murder, part of me thinks jack was interrupted and didn't kill Diemschutz because Diemschutz wasn't to his taste. Yes I think it could of been that simple.

However maybe it could of been the Nichols gang or another gang with a score to settle with Stride. Ye old "Where's mah money, B>>>," angle..

Shoot, for all I know Stride's killer could of been a angry widow from the Princess Alice steamship disaster who was ticked off about Stride claiming that she was also a widow who had lost children in the Princess Alice disaster when we all that wasn't the case. I have heard of stranger things happening. Hence one of my stranger then fiction crackpot theories.